Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
He could have handled it the way that his department requires him to handle it. How about that. And as for your last sentence there, what complete bull s h I t.
Much bigger bull s h i t is saying she was murdered. Let's just cross off the murder theory and you list the possible reasons why she would have killed herself? I can think of only three.

1. I will show them!
2. Loss of the job.
3. I will go down in history to keep my cause alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:52 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Actually, if you look at most forms, especially federal, state forms or other forms from companies, schools, or other entities that submit this information to the feds for "civil rights" purposes, the designation for a caucasian is "other" these days.
My point is that in this country there is a distinction made between white and Hispanic. Hispanic is treated as a fourth race even though it is not a race.

When George Zimmerman was revealed to be half Hispanic (and he looks it IMO) suddenly he was called a "white Hispanic" and the white on black racism agenda was still pushed through. I imagine the same will happen in this case, even though Americans usually see a difference between white and Hispanic, and either way there are distinctly separate options on forms. Sometimes, a form will only ask you to check if you're Hispanic, without asking what else you could be. If you are, you check it, if you're not, you don't. Even though there are actually white Hispanics (like Hispanics who look European white and not the stereotypical mixed Hispanic, unlike Zimmerman IMO), I feel that in this country they are treated separately because Hispanic is treated as if it's another race.

SO, upon finding out a cop or vigilante is actually Hispanic or part Hispanic, that changes the whole "white on black racism" thing that is constantly perpetuated.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:12 AM

672 posts, read 789,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Much bigger bull s h i t is saying she was murdered. Let's just cross off the murder theory and you list the possible reasons why she would have killed herself? I can think of only three.

1. I will show them!
2. Loss of the job.
3. I will go down in history to keep my cause alive.
I don't believe that she was murdered, however, she was depressed, and being in a jail cell for 3 days is quite enough to send someone who is already suicidal over the edge. I doubt she was taking one for the so called team, and it is idiotic to think so.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,861,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
I don't believe that she was murdered, however, she was depressed, and being in a jail cell for 3 days is quite enough to send someone who is already suicidal over the edge. I doubt she was taking one for the so called team, and it is idiotic to think so.
Whats real sad is that her family left her in jail for 3 days without bailing her out, But the minute she dies they show up with the sleaze ball lawyers looking to get paid.

bill

Old 07-27-2015, 11:29 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
It's such a sad state, the circumstances surrounding Sandra Bland's death. Whether she committed suicide or was murdered, had she not been jailed, she'd be alive.

For all of those who think she got what she deserved, remember this is someone's child and a mother is grieving her death. For those of us who have children, imagine how you would feel if your child was on the road to a new job, the last time you talked to him/her she was fine, then days later you find out they were jailed, then dead. How would that make you feel? Let's leave race out of it for a moment and think as humanists and parents.

To the topic at hand. I agree that both Ms. Bland and the officer behaved badly. It was a battle of egos--she wanting to prove she was in the right, he wanting to prove she was in charge. Despite her attitude and flippant response, he had no right to arrest her threatened her with force if she didn't get out of her car for refusal to put out her cigarette. The ticket was issued and that should've been the end of it.

As black woman who has been pulled over many times since moving to Texas last year, both for no reason, as well as for violations (one time I didn't know I had a light out), I have never talked to an officer the way she has. However, I still I don't think she deserved what she got. I was wrongfully stopped and given a baseless ticket after only being in Texas for two weeks. I had just bought my car prior to moving here. I had my passed emissions sheet, I had my car title and my legal temporary tag that I had extended a month prior to moving here to ensure it was good until I got my plates switched over. I also had my insurance.

I knew I wasn't speeding so when the officer pulled me over, I politely asked him why. At first he said it was because I didn't stop at a red light before making a right turn. To which I told him that I am from out of state, and for my own edification, I wanted to know if it was legal in Texas to yield when turning right on red or if I must come to a complete stop, as where I moved from, yielding on red to make a right was legal. He went on to say that he was stopping me because my tag wasn't legal. I'm assuming because it was an out-state temp tag. But it wasn't due to expire until April. I was pulled over in March. Unfortunately, when he asked for my insurance, it wasn't in my glove box, where I thought I put it. He then questioned me about who the person was on my title, as the previous owner was African and had a foreign name. I told him just bought the car in Georgia and that I'm not a legal resident of Texas. Both my tag and license were for Georgia.

Anyway, he gave me a ticket for an illegal tag, not having emissions, and for no insurance--despite my tag and paperwork all being legal--to the tune of $500. But because I knew I was in the right, I didn't argue with him. I smiled, bid him a good day, then gathered all my paperwork for my day in court.

By the time court came around I had switched my tag to a Texas one. When I went before the judge, I was very respectful, making sure to always say, "your honor." I gave him my registration, title, insurance and also my temporary Georgia tag, which still had not expired. The judge told me that he had no idea why I was ticketed. The judge threw it out. And I had to pay no fines or any court admin fees. Because I knew I had all my paperwork to back me up, I didn't get belligerent with the officer. I just waited for my day in court.

A couple of weeks ago I was stopped because my registration had expired. I never got my renewal letter and I had to get some things straightened out with my emissions. I was respectful to the officer, explained this to him and that I was trying to take care of it as soon as possible. He let me go without a ticket. When I've been respectful to the police here in Texas, they've been respectful to me and I have gotten out of tickets.

Again, I think they were both wrong, but being polite and compliant will carry you a long way and even get you out of tickets. I'm black and it's worked for me.

Her attitude was bad, but as an officer, he exceeded the limits.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 07-27-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 11:49 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
My point is that in this country there is a distinction made between white and Hispanic. Hispanic is treated as a fourth race even though it is not a race.

When George Zimmerman was revealed to be half Hispanic (and he looks it IMO) suddenly he was called a "white Hispanic" and the white on black racism agenda was still pushed through. I imagine the same will happen in this case, even though Americans usually see a difference between white and Hispanic, and either way there are distinctly separate options on forms. Sometimes, a form will only ask you to check if you're Hispanic, without asking what else you could be. If you are, you check it, if you're not, you don't. Even though there are actually white Hispanics (like Hispanics who look European white and not the stereotypical mixed Hispanic, unlike Zimmerman IMO), I feel that in this country they are treated separately because Hispanic is treated as if it's another race.

SO, upon finding out a cop or vigilante is actually Hispanic or part Hispanic, that changes the whole "white on black racism" thing that is constantly perpetuated.
What you stated is your line of thinking not how many people view Hispanics or define them as a group. Over 80% of Hispanics consider themselves to be white. Not long ago Greeks, Italians, Portuguese and Spaniards placed in a subgroup but today they are clearly classified as white. According to the United States Census Bureau the following are race and ethnicity groups:

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
p
Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

American Indian or Alaska Native – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.

Please take note ... Hispanic isn't listed.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
What you stated is your line of thinking not how many people view Hispanics or define them as a group. Over 80% of Hispanics consider themselves to be white. Not long ago Greeks, Italians, Portuguese and Spaniards placed in a subgroup but today they are clearly classified as white. According to the United States Census Bureau the following are race and ethnicity groups:

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
p
Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

American Indian or Alaska Native – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.

I undertand all of that. I don't think that Hispanic is a race, I'm saying in America it is perceived as one. There are people who actually argue, quite frequently even here on CD, that Hispanic is a race. As I've stated before, this is in part proven by the fact that on forms you are often asked if you are Hispanic along with the other races you mentioned (actually - there are only three races). Sometimes you are only asked if you're Hispanic or not. No other options. Sometimes there's a "non-white Hispanic" option. It's probably because of affirmative action programs, to be honest, because it's often on college applications or scholarship applications where you are asked to define yourself.

My point is that because in the US, we tend to see Hispanics as not white or black but as just Hispanic (or first Hispanic before their race), I don't see how the white on black racism argument comes in to play anymore if we find out that the officer is actually Hispanic or part Hispanic, because a distinction is made in the US, particularly by the media as well, regardless of the fact that Hispanics can be white or black or a mix.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:09 PM

299 posts, read 187,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post

p

Where exactly are you getting your numbers to say over 80% of Hispanics consider themselves to be white? Many Spanish speakers don't even like the word Hispanic and prefer to use the term Latino, further more many won't ever just consider themselves as just white.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:34 PM

112 posts, read 115,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I can't count the number of posts telling us what Bland should have done or not done or said or not said so that she could be alive today... that's kind of ironic since some of those very same people reject a hypothesis of death due to mistreatment or accident and accept at face value the medical examiners finding of death by suicide. Ironic because if that is the case, trying to stay alive through good behavior does not appear to have been Ms. Bland's priority.

Why is it that in none of the several threads about George Zimmerman did no one suggest that he should have stayed in the car? Why is it no one suggests that Adam Lanza should have stayed in bed? I've never heard anyone suggest that Dylan Roof should have found Jesus that night instead of more hate. Why didn't James Holmes simply sit and enjoy the movie he paid good money to see? I don't know, but what I do know is that the only person that died as a result of Ms. Bland's poor choices was Sandra Bland. Herself in other words. I can't say the same for the other people who I mentioned whose poor choices led not to their own deaths, but the deaths of others. Innocent others. The high mindedness gets old.
Where is the applaud icon when you need it...thank you!

Old 07-27-2015, 12:36 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
It's such a sad state, the circumstances surrounding Sandra Bland's death. Whether she committed suicide or was murdered, had she not been jailed, she'd be alive.
Since we are speculating and can't read what might have happened........

She may have been so bad off mentally that she had gotten home after getting just a ticket and killed herself.

Or being high on Pot she ran through the next Red light and killed someone's Grandkid.
Sounds like she had a very bad driving record and drove DUI on more than one occasion.

Since we are just guessing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events