Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 04:23 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Are you people serious?

If you think that video shows one iota of police misconduct, you're smoking the wacky weed. Get off that The gub-ment is sending in the DOJ Yay Train, and open your eyes.

She was stopped for a traffic infraction, and is yelling that her face was slammed to the ground while still able to scream obscenities at the top of her lungs. It's amazing what some people will do once they know there's a cop-hater's cell phone in the vicinity.

The more and louder they scream, the bigger bucks they (or their families) get. She was troubled, and committed suicide, yet this will turn into another shakedown for money.

Cop hater's cell phone? It was the police dashcam that got the footage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 11:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
I can't count the number of posts telling us what Bland should have done or not done or said or not said so that she could be alive today... that's kind of ironic since some of those very same people reject a hypothesis of death due to mistreatment or accident and accept at face value the medical examiners finding of death by suicide. Ironic because if that is the case, trying to stay alive through good behavior does not appear to have been Ms. Bland's priority.

Why is it that in none of the several threads about George Zimmerman did no one suggest that he should have stayed in the car? Why is it no one suggests that Adam Lanza should have stayed in bed? I've never heard anyone suggest that Dylan Roof should have found Jesus that night instead of more hate. Why didn't James Holmes simply sit and enjoy the movie he paid good money to see? I don't know, but what I do know is that the only person that died as a result of Ms. Bland's poor choices was Sandra Bland. Herself in other words. I can't say the same for the other people who I mentioned whose poor choices led not to their own deaths, but the deaths of others. Innocent others. The high mindedness gets old.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:34 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I've been pulled over a 3 times, 2x for speeding and another incident I will describe here. There was an onramp near my office that was habitually backed up. 2 lanes at the street side, with a very wide shoulder. And about 30-40 feet from the metering lights, it extended into several more lanes. A common tactic to get through this ramp faster was to use the shoulder just before the lanes expanded. Some people drove on the shoulder for 100s of feet. Once in a blue moon I used that shoulder for a couple of feet.

So it was a very crowded day, and I saw 6-7 cars use the shoulder. I decided to as well, I used the shoulder for maybe 2 car lengths. And then I saw sirens behind me. I encountered a rude police officer. He was writing me a ticket. I politely asked him why he didn't pull over the cars that had done this maneuver ahead of me. He answered rudely and said I was the one getting ticketed. Meanwhile, while I was engaged in my traffic stop I saw several more cars do the same illegal maneuver.

Why I got pulled over vs the other 10 people I saw do the same thing, I'll never know.
It did seem pretty sketchy for me. It obviously could have ended differently, but I hadn't thought about potential risk of violence from police officers at that time, as it wasn't part of my experience yet.

This was just my first inkling that traffic rules are inconsistently enforced. In this case, I got a snarky comment with my ticket and nothing else. Clearly, it could have happened much differently.

Ever since you were a little kid, you should have learned that the "but THEY were doing it TOO" excuse never cuts the mustard. The other people may have been doing the same thing, you're just the unlucky one who got cited for it. You can have three or four cars speeding on the same roadway, the cop can only pull over one of them, I'm sure it might seem totally unfair to the guy or gal who is pulled over but that is the way things go sometimes.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:35 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
HPD: Woman dies in police custody - Houston Chronicle

Another woman died in custody...with alleged drug issues. She was white, but I don't expect any protests.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:16 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I can't count the number of posts telling us what Bland should have done Ironic because if that is the case, trying to stay alive through good behavior does not appear to have been Ms. Bland's priority.

Why is it that in none of the several threads about George Zimmerman did no one suggest that he should I don't know, but what I do know is that the only person that died as a result of Ms. Bland's poor choices was Sandra Bland. Herself in other words. I can't say the same for the other people who I mentioned whose poor choices led not to their own deaths, but the deaths of others. Innocent others. The high mindedness gets old.
Still, to die over a failed turn signal, a traffic stop, seems way out of line. How many times, when driving have we done things, that if a police officer was around, we would have been warned or ticketed?

I was thinking about that yesterday, while driving around town. The police officer also made horrible choices. He has to have some regrets over this sad situation. Sandra should not have been treated so roughly or arrested.

A badge does not give a person the right to treat people with no respect. Sure, there are times, when police need to be firm; but was this one of those cases?? There needs to be restraint.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 AM

672 posts, read 789,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Are you people serious?

If you think that video shows one iota of police misconduct, you're smoking the wacky weed. Get off that The gub-ment is sending in the DOJ Yay Train, and open your eyes.

She was stopped for a traffic infraction, and is yelling that her face was slammed to the ground while still able to scream obscenities at the top of her lungs. It's amazing what some people will do once they know there's a cop-hater's cell phone in the vicinity.

The more and louder they scream, the bigger bucks they (or their families) get. She was troubled, and committed suicide, yet this will turn into another shakedown for money.
Oddly enough, the police officer's own department saw many things wrong with his behavior, his conduct, the way that he handled the situation, as well as the fact that he illegally extended the stop for no good reason. Once he handed her the warning and her license back, that stop was legally over, but he never told her so.

Her behavior was unpleasant, however, it was not illegal. I do not know that she kicked him as he claimed as a reason for the arrest, as this is not evidenced by the DASH CAM VIDEO from the officer's car, and due to the fact that the officer lied about other things clearly on video, I am not so sure that I am going to give him any benefit of the doubt.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I can't count the number of posts telling us what Bland should have done or not done or said or not said so that she could be alive today... that's kind of ironic since some of those very same people reject a hypothesis of death due to mistreatment or accident and accept at face value the medical examiners finding of death by suicide. Ironic because if that is the case, trying to stay alive through good behavior does not appear to have been Ms. Bland's priority.

Why is it that in none of the several threads about George Zimmerman did no one suggest that he should have stayed in the car?
Interesting what people see - and don't see - through their own filters.

I know for a fact that MANY people have stated specifically that Zimmerman should never have gotten out of his car. I've said that myself in real life and on this forum, and heard it myself from people here on this forum, on other forums, in comments on articles, and in real life. I am amazed that you've never heard anyone say that.

Look, one way to practically assure that you won't be injured in an encounter with the police is to COOPERATE with their reasonable requests. For instance, I don't know or care whether or not it is "illegal" for the police to ask me to put out my hypothetical cigarette, but doggone it, if a police officer asks me to put my cigarette out, I'll just put it out. If he asks me to get out of the car, I'll just get out of the car. I don't smart off at them when I'm pulled over (and yes, this white lady gets pulled over - and occasionally gets a ticket too). I know to be polite and cooperative - two behaviors that Sandra Bland apparently didn't apply to her encounter with the police.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-27-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 07:22 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I don't get that either. surely her bond couldn't have been all that high.
Her bond was $5,000.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Her bond was $5,000.
So that means she needed to come up with $500, right? Which would be returned once everything was resolved - right?

I am not arguing, just trying to get some perspective.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
Why are we not hearing of Asian, Hispanic, White, Native-American, Hawaiian-Polynesian etc etc suspects. It's all frigging blacks.....and usually it involves the suspect NOT LISTENING TO COP'S DIRECTIONS! (running, come forward, not shutting up etc etc)

Native American Activist Found Dead In Jail Cell After Traffic Fine Arrest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events