Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 12:55 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky305 View Post
Where exactly are you getting your numbers to say over 80% of Hispanics consider themselves to be white? Many Spanish speakers don't even like the word Hispanic and prefer to use the term Latino, further more many won't ever just consider themselves as just white.
Pew Research Center has an article. NPR had an article. There is also an article in the U.S. Census New Room about Hispanics accounted for three-fourth of the white population growth.

Last edited by Dyadic; 07-27-2015 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:58 PM

299 posts, read 187,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Pew Research Center
I would have see such numbers because everything I see say way less than 80%

Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,079,203 times
She was tired of being a victim.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:02 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
She was tired of being a victim.
Being a Victim is usually our own doing. Victimhood is just an excuse for people who won't.

Recall the movie "Ray" where his Momma told him not to be a victim just because he went blind?

Old 07-27-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I would have see such numbers because everything I see say way less than 80%
More Hispanics check 'white' on Census - El Paso Times

Question of race not simple for Mexican Americans, author says | News Bureau | University of Illinois

Old 07-27-2015, 01:33 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
See, what I got from recent posts was that applicant screening and training for law enforcement entities would reduce police shootings regardless of what goes on with respect to mental health services in the community. And I agree. A thug is a thug whether he is British or American. Britain kills far fewer of their thugs than America. NONE of the many, many thugs killed in recent controversial police shootings would have received the death penalty for their perceived transgressions. They have wired officers to bio-telemetry equipment and put them in real world typical pull over situations. Whenever a majority of officers pull over black drivers, their telemetry readings go off the scale. Nothing about the African American driver, not their age, their gender or their deportment varies the response. An officer cannot think clearly when their heart rate has hit 200bpm. They are in a virtual fight or flight situation just from having viewed an African American. I think all officers should be tested during their training for their involuntary responses to African Americans and those that display these panic reflexes should not be deployed where they can possibly encounter African Americans while they are in an enforcement capacity.
A solution MAY BE (grammar people, feel free to discipline me on the use of MAYBE versus MAY BE!) to recruit more African-American police officers. Would that be a solution.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:44 PM

299 posts, read 187,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
More Hispanics check 'white' on Census - El Paso Times From this site it say 84 percent of Hispanics in El Paso County marked the "white" box on their 2010 Census forms.

Question of race not simple for Mexican Americans, author says | News Bureau | University of Illinois
Quote:
About half of Latinos check “white” in response to the question about race on the U.S. Census. About half check “other race.”
Quote:
The border counties of southern Texas. Most are more than 80 percent Latino, and more than 80 percent of those Latinos marked “white” on the 2010 census
Both links were only talking about in either El Paso county or border countries in Texas but not nationwide.

The study reported by Pew this month isn’t the first indicator that more Latinos are identifying as white on the Census. The total share of Latinos self-identifying in the Census rose from 47.9 percent in 2000 to 53 percent in 2010.

The Census Can't Fit Latinos Into A Race Box And It's Causing More Confusion

Old 07-27-2015, 02:00 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
I don't believe that she was murdered, however, she was depressed, and being in a jail cell for 3 days is quite enough to send someone who is already suicidal over the edge. I doubt she was taking one for the so called team, and it is idiotic to think so.
If she was depressed enough to kill herself just because she was in jail for only 3 days, she was sick enough to kill herself in order to get even, stir the pot and divide the country even more than they have already tried to divide it. Nothing like a death to get people riled up in order to scream "Murder!" and carry on with how terrible all police officers are.

I don't care if you think it is idiotic. Some are on a mission because they never look over anything and bask in the glory of every slight.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Both links were only talking about in either El Paso county or border countries in Texas but not nationwide.

The study reported by Pew this month isn’t the first indicator that more Latinos are identifying as white on the Census. The total share of Latinos self-identifying in the Census rose from 47.9 percent in 2000 to 53 percent in 2010.

The Census Can't Fit Latinos Into A Race Box And It's Causing More Confusion
Here is an article citing white population growth attributed to the Hispanic population.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...b11-cn184.html

Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I can't count the number of posts telling us what Bland should have done or not done or said or not said so that she could be alive today... that's kind of ironic since some of those very same people reject a hypothesis of death due to mistreatment or accident and accept at face value the medical examiners finding of death by suicide. Ironic because if that is the case, trying to stay alive through good behavior does not appear to have been Ms. Bland's priority.

Why is it that in none of the several threads about George Zimmerman did no one suggest that he should have stayed in the car? Why is it no one suggests that Adam Lanza should have stayed in bed? I've never heard anyone suggest that Dylan Roof should have found Jesus that night instead of more hate. Why didn't James Holmes simply sit and enjoy the movie he paid good money to see? I don't know, but what I do know is that the only person that died as a result of Ms. Bland's poor choices was Sandra Bland. Herself in other words. I can't say the same for the other people who I mentioned whose poor choices led not to their own deaths, but the deaths of others. Innocent others. The high mindedness gets old.
Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
HPD: Woman dies in police custody - Houston Chronicle

Another woman died in custody...with alleged drug issues. She was white, but I don't expect any protests.

It's not anyone else's fault certain people prefer to sit on their...backsides...and do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events