Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 11:19 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have no idea what engineers earn but by your own admission lowest starting wage in your experience is $16 an hour and I doubt if they stay at that salary for very long. In any case, a $15 minimum wage should bump the salaries of those engineers up a bit.

Kaiser CNA average salary $19 an hour Kaiser Permanente Registered Nurse Salaries | Glassdoor
(see below for RN and LNP salaries)

I don't sit here and make crap up, my ex daughter in law works in Northern California for Kaiser Hospital

RN average $58.58 per hour Kaiser Permanente Registered Nurse Salaries | Glassdoor

Nurse Practitioner: average $68.58 per hour (she makes $90 an hour after 20k bonus) Kaiser Permanente Nurse Practitioner Salaries | Glassdoor

I don't think you have proven your case.
Of course you would pick a company in one of the areas with the highest COL in the entire country!!!!

From the link you yourself posted:
"This salary is 66% above the national average"

Average nurse practitioner, NATIONWIDE, earns $95,000/year. For a 40hr workweek, that's $45/hour. Most nurses work more than 40 hours, so it's safe to think they earn less than $45/hour.

Average CNA pay in the country is $10/hour
Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) Salary (United States)

Average LPN salary in the country is $17.95/hour
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Salary (United States)

I don't sit here and make crap up, my wife owns a nursing practice and hires nurses, and bases her pay rates off of regional averages, which are more in tune with the national averages.

You picked one company in a high COL area to make your point? I bet you this company has very stringent hiring practices, and the average CNA/LPN/NPR wouldn't even get a second glance from hiring managers.

Newsflash, the average CNA pay in Los Angeles is under $12/hr.
Caregiver, HHA, & CNA Pay | myCNAjobs.com

I think I have proven my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 11:27 AM

And no, $68.58/hr + $20k bonus is not $90/hour. Not even remotely close.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
The dining and retail stores in my area are desperate for workers. Every store/ restaurant has had " Help Wanted" signs up since late Winter. There's a new mom and pop place that had to delay opening because they do not have enough people on board to make a go of it.

Last time I saw anything like this was 20+ years ago in Boston when retail and fast food were offering $10/hr plus a sign on bonus to attract workers.

Neighbor's kid claims he looked for temporary employment this summer, before leaving for school. Kid claims there were no temporary summer jobs this year. He may be right or he may have chosen to sit the summer out, like his friends did.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:56 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
And no, $68.58/hr + $20k bonus is not $90/hour. Not even remotely close.
$68.58 is average, I am not lying about what she earns I have no reason to lie about it

Old 08-12-2015, 01:58 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Of course you would pick a company in one of the areas with the highest COL in the entire country!!!! I think I have proven my case.
You said I was lying, I provided you with data showing that I was not lying. If you want to feel like you have proven your case, then you go right ahead, I don't want to destroy that special moment for you

Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
First of all, IMHO everyone out there should work in the retail/fast food industry at some point in their lives. It will truly make you appreciate what these folks put up with every day, and will hopefully make you treat the employees better if you patronize stores like this.

I worked in both the kitchen & floor (busboy) of a busy restaurant when I was in my late teens (late high school, and a little afterwards), and can say it was an extremely difficult, physically (though not mentally) demanding job:

1) You had to be on your feet all day.

2) Dealing with snobbish, entitled customers.

3) Dealing with crazy co-workers.

4) A lot of lifting of heavy boxes, etc.

5) The possibility of getting grease spattered and/or burned by hot water was something you had to watch out for on a regular basis if you worked in the kitchen.

6) Prima donna cooks with a bad temper.

7) Crummy hours; usually I had to work 2nd shift, which was when the restaurant did the most business.

8) I would come home every night with my clothes & hair smelling of either food/grease (if I worked in the kitchen) or cigarette smoke (if I worked on the floor).

These days, I think fast food places get a bad rap of only carrying greasy, unhealthy food. Yes, that is still true in a lot of cases - but not in all cases. I do sometimes eat @ fast food places (only about once a week, maybe), and try to always eat healthy - when possible. Some places (Subway, Wendy's) do carry vegetarian hamburgers (i.e., hamburgers that don't use meat), and a lot of places do also carry salad.

Do most fast food places primarily sell unhealthy food?! Yes. However, no one is forcing you to eat there...

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 08-12-2015 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 02:32 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The dining and retail stores in my area are desperate for workers. Every store/ restaurant has had " Help Wanted" signs up since late Winter. There's a new mom and pop place that had to delay opening because they do not have enough people on board to make a go of it.

Last time I saw anything like this was 20+ years ago in Boston when retail and fast food were offering $10/hr plus a sign on bonus to attract workers.

Neighbor's kid claims he looked for temporary employment this summer, before leaving for school. Kid claims there were no temporary summer jobs this year. He may be right or he may have chosen to sit the summer out, like his friends did.
But it's market driven, right? The potential employees are sitting in a pretty good position to see better offers and or incentives. Most likely at a federally mandated $15/hr., employers would have to re-assess their business because no room in the overhead to offer more. The argument could be made that at $15/hr this might not be as problematic but if everything rises relative to minimum wage, as some have argued, there would still be a labor shortage at that end of the scale.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
You said I was lying, I provided you with data showing that I was not lying. If you want to feel like you have proven your case, then you go right ahead, I don't want to destroy that special moment for you
When did I say you were lying?

Quote:

This $60/hour as an RN is where, exactly? Such an hourly rate (or anything even remotely close to that) for an RN is unheard of in most locations. Nurse practitioners average $40-$50/hour and require Masters' degrees.
I didn't doubt your $60/hour claim, as I know of some RNs in Manhattan who make almost that. I'll repeat it here with slightly different wording in case you're lacking in reading comprehension (which appears to be the case given your accusation of me calling you a liar): In the vast majority of geographical locales, RNs do not make anywhere near $60/hr. They make approximately half of that.

I was discussing average pay scales for different nurse classes, and your rebuttal was that your ex DIL in CA makes $100k+/year. The question at hand here was whether some nurses make less than (or close to) $15/hr. The answer is a solid yes.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
$68.58 is average, I am not lying about what she earns I have no reason to lie about it
Quote:
I agree, but that's all part of the same unsupported argument that claims there are people working in nursing or engineering and making $15 an hour, i.e. "how would you feel if you were a nurse and now a burger flipper earned more than you?" (My ex DIL is an RN and makes $60 an hour lol). The other 'argument' offered to defend an absurdly low minimum wage is this: "why $15? give them $30 an hour".
So she makes less than that. Given that the $68.50/hr + $20k bonus didn't equate to anything near $90/hour and she makes $60/hour...... Your math is off.

And the $68.58/hr is average for NPs, not RNs.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 08-12-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 02:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
There are lots of people that could legitimately feel they are underpaid .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events