Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 04:27 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
OP, you're jealous of a group of workers who haven't made a living wage?

I'll give you a choice- a raise of 70% of THEIR wage or 5 % of yours.

Which Is The Better Deal?!

Begrudge workers who already take a **** of a lot crap?

Really?
The same crybaby bawling that you heard from all the "business owners" who were all over the place saying they would have to fire their staffs and close up shop if they had to start providing healthcare to their employees or were subject to a 1 to 2% tax increase, with terrified-yet-defiant bellows of "I'll just go on welfare myself! What incentive do I have to work hard?"

Blah blah blah. Spare the theatrics. The incentive is to make over 100k and have self determination to run your business as you see fit as opposed to going on the dole, getting sub-20k per year, losing your house and your car and all your property.

The incentive to make more than 20k is 30k. The incentive to make more than 30k is 40k, and so on and so forth. Anyone who actually owns and runs a business understands this as well as anyone.

Not everyone is, or can be, a business owner, or a doctor, or a lawyer, or any one of a number of other high-paying careers. Its the simple truth. If everyone was, then we would have no one to actually work the floor and make the businesses run. When I was managing a hotel back in LA, I paid the best non-union wages in my area and was rewarded with getting to pick the best workers I could, and they gave me good, reliable, hard work. They were able to pay their rents, make their car payments, and still enjoy a vacation here there, so they came in ready to rock and roll instead of unable to focus because they didn't know if they were going to be able to make rent this month or put gas in their tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 05:19 AM

3,952 posts, read 2,572,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Actually it won't. The stats collected so far show a trivial drop in gov program enrollment. Workers are asking that their hours be cut because they are making too much to stay in the top tier of government handouts so what actually happens is that when they lose those benefits they wind up with a net income loss.A person making $30k or less would have to make over $65k to break even without all those gov programs. So if you make between $30K and $65K, in most cases you would actually have more disposable income if you took a pay cut down to $30K. The best off crowd are people making less than $30K and also have unreported cash income on the side. How many people do you know that fit that description?
No, I don't know people like that. The people l know are hard workers in jobs that don't pay what they are worth.

Most low wage earners do not makes $30k or have all those benefits. Some have none.

Low wage workers will do what they need to do to surrvive.(Many times they have given up earning a wage due obstacles they think they can't Deal with) That includes cutting hours to keep benefits the raise in income can't make up for.

You would do it too if your employer gave you a increase but took benefits... But LEGAL ways existed that gave it back.

I bet you want to say but l EARN mine. Even if it were possible for each person to take the right steps to EARN it- there are not enough jobs!!

Again, You Can Complain About peoole not finding the jobs but that doesn't does not take all the facts into account.

P.S... Politians, corporations, big business take a
bigger portion of the budget. WHEN are we going to harass them as much as we do poor people????

Old 07-24-2015, 05:39 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/ny...d-workers.html

This is a 70% increase in pay for folks who, for the most part, decided not to go to school or pick up a trade, or work their ways up into management roles...

Meanwhile, middle class wages are practically stagnant.
I received a whooping 5% COL raise this year -- still more than most.

It's a sad world when the lazy can go protest and whine against the government and the government gives in.
In many places, fast food workers are now making more than crane operators and medical technicians.

See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The fix is simple, people can stop eating fast food and supply and demand will take care of the wages.

So will robots which will in the near future make the fast food worker obsolete, as in unemployed.

I haven't eaten fast food in years. It costs more... but the garbage those places feed us seldom agrees with me.

It's only a matter of time anyways before those places become much more automated. The 'cheap' labor was likely a leading cause for it taking so long.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:12 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When people make more money off welfare than work, then they're more likely to go on welfare.

Republicans have worked so hard to devalue the working-class American that people now think it's righteous to pay a sub-living wage to any blue collar work, all the while wangsting about "elites" thinking that they're better than the workers. CEO pay has screamed through the stratosphere and minimum wage has stayed stagnant, and the money isn't trickling down yet. for every dollar a CEO kicks down to a new franchise or venture, he puts ten into a bank account to accrue interest, probably in another county no less. People who make $15/hr will put it back into the US economy.
Exactly. Targets FIRED CEO got a $61,000,000 severance package when he was let go, but we are supposed to believe these companies are too poor to pay a living wage.

What do you guys get when you do such a poor job they fire you??

Old 07-24-2015, 06:32 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,282 times
does anyone think mcdonalds the corporation will just eat this money?
Will the shareholders accept less returns on their investment???

By raising the min wage, people, your not socking it to the evil rich..THEY will not lose one red cent...this cost will be passed on to other employees (by having to work harder, less hours) and the customers...mcdonalds will simply cut costs to eat this...and were talking about a fast food corp that already has questionable product and low quality...

They are going to raise prices, NOT only will they NOT increase quality they will probably cut more corners, and they will have a smaller work force

again...please tell me how this added cost will be eaten by the corporation and the shareholders???

Last edited by lucky2balive; 07-24-2015 at 07:11 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 06:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
does anyone think mcdonalds the corporation will just eat this money?
Will the shareholders except less returns on their investment???

By raising the min wage, people, your not socking it to the evil rich..THEY will not lose one red cent...this cost will be passed on to other employees (by having to work harder, less hours) and the customers...mcdonalds will simply cut costs to eat this...and were talking about a fast food corp that already has questionable product and low quality...

They are going to raise prices, NOT only will they NOT increase quality they will probably cut more corners, and they will have a smaller work force

again...please tell me how this added cost will be eaten by the corporation and the shareholders???

I hear what you're saying, but it will fall on deaf ears. B-b-b-but the CEOs/business owners should just take less profits! Nope. It doesn't work that way in the real world.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:54 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
Woho about time. Will help a lot to get those people of government assistance.
Did you read the recent articles about many asking to have their hours cut so they don't lose their Govt handouts?

Old 07-24-2015, 07:01 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Did you read the recent articles about many asking to have their hours cut so they don't lose their Govt handouts?
I'd love to see these articles.

Now I did come across an article regarding people in Seattle asking for reduced hours because they had subsidized housing. All this tells me is that the rent is too damn high (LOL!) and that there is a sweet spot of not making enough money to make the rent AND making too much for subsidy.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:14 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I hear what you're saying, but it will fall on deaf ears. B-b-b-but the CEOs/business owners should just take less profits! Nope. It doesn't work that way in the real world.
exactly
and don't get me wrong, I have NO problem socking it to the .01%...but they are experts at passing it on, or they wouldn't be .01%

lol

everyone wants an easy answer....there is one...if you want more money, advance or get another job...train, educate, network...finding good work is a LOT of work LOL...the answer isn't a simple government mandate...our government is the cause of, NOT solution to, ALL of our problems

Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
exactly
and don't get me wrong, I have NO problem socking it to the .01%...but they are experts at passing it on, or they wouldn't be .01%

lol

everyone wants an easy answer....there is one...if you want more money, advance or get another job...train, educate, network...finding good work is a LOT of work LOL...the answer isn't a simple government mandate...our government is the cause of, NOT solution to, ALL of our problems
That's a hell of a statement. Seems to me some paranoia has set in. The government is certainly no angel, but it's also definitely not the cause of ALL of our problems.

Your solution is to roll over and die. Well we can't beat them so we may as well stop trying to pass any sort of sensible regulation because they're going to get their way anyway! Pfft, the hell I'd stop! Production goes up, wages stagnate, companies checks get fatter, but not the employees.

So much for "trickle down" huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events