Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:44 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times

Advertisements

I recall when this was posted before it actually showed the police are acting appropriately with the far major of shootings being good shootings and the percentage of poor shootings being quite tiny. Which is what would be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 02:59 PM

610 posts, read 698,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Pedro, I think we can close the thread now. Good work.
Right, because those things happen in NO other industrialized countries in the whole world. And, also, because police accounts are always 100% truthful.

"Dear Government, how we love your ability to murder us as you please! Just provide us with an excuse and we will obey you!" cried every liberal and conservative cop-sympathizer in unison.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
Right, because those things happen in NO other industrialized countries in the whole world. And, also, because police accounts are always 100% truthful.

"Dear Government, how we love your ability to murder us as you please! Just provide us with an excuse and we will obey you!" cried every liberal and conservative cop-sympathizer in unison.
"All cops are murdering thugs that have no value to the community" yelled the.....

I bet the cops forced that woman to go to the hospital and have the rape kit used so they'd have a good reason to go randomly murder a man in the house.

Sorry if I shined the light of truth on that blatantly inaccurate opinion piece, but I can't sit by and allow someone to pretend nonsense is fact.

Are there bad cops out there? Of course.

Have people been murdered by cops? Yep.

Is it a common occurrence? No. It's actually quite rare.

If you focused on the problem of real issues like these absurd no-knock warrants, I'd be with you. If you focused on police departments wasting resources and money on "crimes" like smoking pot and prostitution, I'd be supporting you all the way.

However, when you scream wolf when a rabbit hops by, I'm not going to start screaming wolf with you.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Pedro, you're a great guy.

OP - you've been shot down (no pun intended).

Old 07-24-2015, 04:29 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I hate to tell you this, but you're just wrong.

The opinion piece links to and gets its data from this site: Killed By Police - 2015

Look at the very first person listed as killed by police, Brian Stortzum.

Brian was holding a woman and three girls at gun point threatening to kill the mother. He refused to put down the weapon and kept pointing it at the females.

Coroner identifies man killed in officer-involved shooting in Horry County : News : CarolinaLive.com

Do you believe the cops should have waited for him to begin executing his hostages?

You are pretending to have missed the point of my post.

The point was clear, but given that you insist on pretending not to understand what was being discussed I will help you...

The entire story has nothing to do with who was killed or why, and everything to do with showing how other countries can capture out of control members of the public without killing them.

The link gives a standard example of American cops dealing with a threat followed my euro cops dealing with a threat.

all the of cops were armed with guns, but only the American ones chose to kill the dude when they had many other choices.

that was the point and it shows exactly how Americans murder people and then pretend they had no other choice. The British cops make ours look pathetic . The brits show real class and bravery while ours look like thugs and cowards.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
The kill rate by nuts and criminals is way up. Frankly I look for more people to defend themselves with all these mass shootings include of Police being killed in them. So far looking at Police shootings in headlines vast majority are cleared by grand Jury of citizens. as self defense which changes the problem just by that fact. I think just the fact that your have marchers calling for murder of Police officers shows who the real problem is in a civil society.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:53 PM

610 posts, read 698,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Pedro, you're a great guy.

OP - you've been shot down (no pun intended).
No, I have not. The point of this article is to show, as evilcart pointed out eloquently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
The entire story has nothing to do with who was killed or why, and everything to do with showing how other countries can capture out of control members of the public without killing them.

The link gives a standard example of American cops dealing with a threat followed my euro cops dealing with a threat.

all the of cops were armed with guns, but only the American ones chose to kill the dude when they had many other choices.

that was the point and it shows exactly how Americans murder people and then pretend they had no other choice. The British cops make ours look pathetic . The brits show real class and bravery while ours look like thugs and cowards.

that the use of lethal force by police in the U.S. is applied to the same sorts of crimes that less-than-lethal force is applied to in other industrialized countries. You're missing the point, either on purpose or you're dense. In any case, the point is that it is not necessary to resort to deadly violence when someone is out of control. Cops in other countries practice de-escalation, for the most part, while cops in America observe the doctrines of the primacy of "officer safety" and "qualified immunity," which means they can shoot whoever they want, whenever they want, as long as they're on the clock, and never be held accountable for it.

By default, you're claiming one of two things. Either, a.) America is far crazier and more violent than any other industrialized country, which this article proves definitively is untrue :

http://www.civitas.org.uk/crime/crim...ecdjan2012.pdf

Or b.) the condition of criminal behavior in America necessitates deadly force more than it does in other countries, which does not stand to reason againt the above data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The kill rate by nuts and criminals is way up. Frankly I look for more people to defend themselves with all these mass shootings include of Police being killed in them. So far looking at Police shootings in headlines vast majority are cleared by grand Jury of citizens. as self defense which changes the problem just by that fact. I think just the fact that your have marchers calling for murder of Police officers shows who the real problem is in a civil society.
This is also fallaciously untrue. In fact, murders of police are lower than they've ever been, as this article points out. Note that the author even concedes in the very next paragraph that departments are more professional than ever before. This is not an agenda-driven propaganda piece:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ff8_story.html

Old 07-24-2015, 04:56 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
we are the last developed country on the planet using "grand juries" everyone else abandoned the system because it sucks.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:16 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,385,367 times
Bottom line, I trust cops more than criminals. You disrespect a cop, regardless of skin color, you are in big trouble. Cops don't like that and respond accordingly. It is fashionable and common these days to pull the race card and I discount the people who pull that BS.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
No, I have not. The point of this article is to show, as evilcart pointed out eloquently:

that the use of lethal force by police in the U.S. is applied to the same sorts of crimes that less-than-lethal force is applied to in other industrialized countries. You're missing the point, either on purpose or you're dense. In any case, the point is that it is not necessary to resort to deadly violence when someone is out of control. Cops in other countries practice de-escalation, for the most part, while cops in America observe the doctrines of the primacy of "officer safety" and "qualified immunity," which means they can shoot whoever they want, whenever they want, as long as they're on the clock, and never be held accountable for it.

By default, you're claiming one of two things. Either, a.) America is far crazier and more violent than any other industrialized country, which this article proves definitively is untrue :

http://www.civitas.org.uk/crime/crim...ecdjan2012.pdf

Or b.) the condition of criminal behavior in America necessitates deadly force more than it does in other countries, which does not stand to reason againt the above data.

This is also fallaciously untrue. In fact, murders of police are lower than they've ever been, as this article points out. Note that the author even concedes in the very next paragraph that departments are more professional than ever before. This is not an agenda-driven propaganda piece:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ff8_story.html
Uh huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events