Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

Sleep-deprived drivers are as dangerous on the roads as drunk drivers!

A nurse, at work, having worked a double shift, should never have been allowed to get behind the wheel of her car. She fell asleep at the wheel, rear-ended someone at a stop light.

And? She's still driving, working double shifts!

Lucky them! There's no technology available yet to register their sleep levels!

It's time to stop all this tunnel-vision over drunk drivers and focus on the other dangerous drivers on our roads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:50 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You would get the same results with tired/drowsy drivers.

AAA: Data shows driving tired can injure or kill you or others - Bucks County Courier Times: Bucks County | Local news | Breaking news | Sports | Entertainment | Opinion
  • More than 6,000 fatigue-related crashes each year result in at least one fatality.
  • One-third of all crashes involving a drowsy driver result in injuries.
  • Six percent of all crashes that require a tow truck involve a drowsy driver.
  • And even though about 95 percent of drivers admit to knowing the dangers of driving when they’re tired, one in four of those surveyed said they’ve gotten behind the wheel in the past month when they had a hard time keeping their eyes open. Drivers between the ages of 19 and 24 were the most likely to report driving dangerously drowsy, according to the motor club research.
  • “Drivers often underestimate the risk and overestimate their ability to combat drowsiness, leading to the thousands of fatal vehicle crashes each year,” said AAA spokesman Jim Lardear.

“Driving when you’re tired can be just as dangerous as getting behind the wheel after a few drinks,” Lardear added. “The National Sleep Foundation compares the slowed reaction time and impaired vision and judgment after a sleepless night to that of someone with a blood alcohol content level of 0.10 percent.”

And yet what are we doing about this besides reprimanding people with insomnia for being late to work??
Yep, but the corrupt lobby MADD certainly doesn't want you to know about reality. They are a lobby and want to tell everyone that if you smell alcohol at all and drive you are a horrible person. It is all one big joke. The stats are also a joke. Like I said before, if you have too much aftershave on, you are a drunk driver if you get in a fender bender. That is how they operate. They have the police on their side as well. Do you people realize police actually have competitions with other police departments to see how many DUI's they can hand out????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Competitions????? That WREEKS of corruption! Of course people love to have blinders on. There are COUNTLESS innocent people that got caught up in that competition and MADD is a big player on that crap. The are not to be trusted just like any other lobby. They are a horrible organization from top to bottom. I wouldn't give them a dime no matter what and wish they would go away!

Old 07-28-2015, 12:35 AM

232 posts, read 251,103 times
Drunk drivers ARE a disgrace. I don't drive even if I've only had one casual drink. And no..people too tired should not drive either and make other arrangements. I refuse to drive when I'm really tired and it has caused some arguments a few times with husband/kids. However, they know I was right and apologize afterward. I know what happens when I drive really sleepy. My reflexes are noticeably slower as if I were drunk and I was aware of it too. I did that a few times and realized it was dangerous and thankfully nothing happened. If there is an emergency and I'm too sleepy I'd just call a cab or a friend or an ambulance if it were very urgent.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:35 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Sleep-deprived drivers are as dangerous on the roads as drunk drivers!

A nurse, at work, having worked a double shift, should never have been allowed to get behind the wheel of her car. She fell asleep at the wheel, rear-ended someone at a stop light.

And? She's still driving, working double shifts!

Lucky them! There's no technology available yet to register their sleep levels!

It's time to stop all this tunnel-vision over drunk drivers and focus on the other dangerous drivers on our roads!
oh give me a break... is this another DRINKS NOT THAT BAD message..Being tired and driving is dangerous but not self inflicted by some moron who thinks he or she is Superman.and indestructible after a few drinks.. It makes me so angry at all you boozers who think you have a RIGHT to the road.. how dare you compare a nurse to a selfish drunk.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:17 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
truck drivers are laborer with a driver license

Old 07-28-2015, 05:27 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
oh give me a break... is this another DRINKS NOT THAT BAD message..Being tired and driving is dangerous but not self inflicted by some moron who thinks he or she is Superman.and indestructible after a few drinks.. It makes me so angry at all you boozers who think you have a RIGHT to the road.. how dare you compare a nurse to a selfish drunk.
We should judge results, not causes. If a drunk driver safely gets home, he's all good. If sleep-deprived lady crashed into a bus stop and killed people, would it matter for you she had no alcohol in her blood?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
They must have been legally drunk.
In my state it is .08 to be considered legally drunk which is about 2 beers. I think its an unfair benchmark.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:42 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That sounds logical, but it doesn't always work that way. One of my nephews got a DUI when he wasn't driving. He was taking a nap in his car because he'd had too much to drink. He was picked up and his license suspended because the keys were in the glove box--within reach. I find it reprehensible that someone can be punished for choosing to not drive.
I've known a few people to whom this has happened. I too find it reprehensible and a gross miscarriage of justice.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:00 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've known a few people to whom this has happened. I too find it reprehensible and a gross miscarriage of justice.
I asked police guys how to properly nap when drunk. They recommended to sleep in the back seat and god forbid not to turn the heat in the car. At least in our state you cannot be charged with DUI unless you actually operate the vehicle.

Having state politicians with 12 DUIs in State Assembly, is unother story.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:38 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
We should judge results, not causes. If a drunk driver safely gets home, he's all good. If sleep-deprived lady crashed into a bus stop and killed people, would it matter for you she had no alcohol in her blood?
if a drunk driver gets home without killing someone then that's good too... don't be so silly..accident on the roads happen all the time.. yes sometimes through bad driving and carelessness but to condone drinking and driving is mental... Drivers with a BAC of 0.10% are 6 to 12 times more likely to get into a fatal crash or injury than drivers with no alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events