Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 05:51 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The takeaway is that if people are destroyed for doing something that may be perfectly legal, but others don't like the practice and put their lives and businesses in jeopardy, then we aren't the country we used to be. The one that believes in innocence until proven guilty in a court of law. We are no better than a mob.
Well I think it's been established that the good doctor was proven guilty of an illegal bear kill and in matter of exhibiting questionable character, agreed to a sexual harassment settlement. If you choose to offer him a clean slate for present and future transgressions, adjudicated or not, that's your right. Conventional wisdom skews that a leopard does not change it's spots. There's a reason defense attorneys for that last 200 years vehemently fight to suppress prior convictions and such. We're not breaking new ground. It appears Bungalow Bill has done a fine job of destroying his reputation all by himself, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 05:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Well I think it's been established that the good doctor was proven guilty of an illegal bear kill and in matter of exhibiting questionable character, agreed to a sexual harassment settlement. If you choose to offer him a clean slate for present and future transgressions, adjudicated or not, that's your right. Conventional wisdom skews that a leopard does not change it's spots. There's a reason defense attorneys for that last 200 years vehemently fight to suppress prior convictions and such. We're not breaking new ground. It appears Bungalow Bill has done a fine job of destroying his reputation all by himself, thank you very much.

What does sexual harassment have to do with the Lion?

Old 07-31-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Mack, if you read carefully "exhibiting questionable character" was the operative point in bring that up.

I'll accept your apology later. Carry on.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:02 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
As I've said numerous times, I'm not talking about Palmer but the mob mentality that's so pervasive these days. But since you mention it, yes there is a reason the defense attorneys work to suppress the information about past behavior. It's because it will cause jurors to convict the defendant not on this one crime he's being tried for, but all his past crimes as well, even if he's already served his time for those past crimes. And settling a lawsuit doesn't always point to guilt. It just points to the guy was unsure of the outcome of a trial so it was easier to settle. Michael Jackson did the same thing. It doesn't mean he's not guilty, but it doesn't mean he is either. There are two reasons to settle. Well, three - unsure of outcome, want to save costs, or you're guilty.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Not only that but is sure seems that when it comes to people doing things to other people, as in criminals, giving them a pass for past transgressions seems to be the standard. Please, prove that wrong. The threads are full of it.

Criminal arrested by cop. Didn't matter that the criminal did before, not relevant. This is now different?

Do we care if a burglar had problems with a sexual harassment issues? Nope. You are just part of the pile on crowd, nothing to say so throw whatever and see what sticks. How typical.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
As I've said numerous times, I'm not talking about Palmer but the mob mentality that's so pervasive these days. But since you mention it, yes there is a reason the defense attorneys work to suppress the information about past behavior. It's because it will cause jurors to convict the defendant not on this one crime he's being tried for, but all his past crimes as well, even if he's already served his time for those past crimes. And settling a lawsuit doesn't always point to guilt. It just points to the guy was unsure of the outcome of a trial so it was easier to settle. Michael Jackson did the same thing. It doesn't mean he's not guilty, but it doesn't mean he is either. There are two reasons to settle. Well, three - unsure of outcome, want to save costs, or you're guilty.
Darn, another thinker. Be careful. You are right on the spot. This effort to link everything Palmer ever did to the killing of the lion is sheer stupidity IMO. Past poaching if convicted? Sure.

In a trial.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
When I was working on my first project in Mexico, I was told by our security guy: "have your passport on you at all times, if you ever get into an accident and your car is still drivable, go to the airport and take the first flight to States, don't even stop at the hotel. It doesn't matter whose fault it was, you're the gringo and will go to jail for a long time".

Welcome to the 3rd world, the different rules apply. If he had gone to the authorities himself (provided he was not in on this) he'd be thrown in jail and bled dry before he'd get out of there.
The guy is a big game hunter and he shot big game. Big deal. And you are going to tell me Zimbabwe, of all countries, is indignant about a bloody lion life when all they do is abuse and murder humans left and right. It is a mob country with no respect for anything. No, we're not going to extradite the dentist to a savage country where he will be murdered in his holding cell. I wouldn't even classify Zimbabwe as a country, it's a place where human life has zero value and violence and murder and mayhem are the rules of the road.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
But katy, what you call "mob mentality" is no more pervasive "these days" as it was when mankind was living in caves. What is different is the speed and breadth of people are able to voice their displeasure (read that as my euphemism for 'mob mentality'). To take another hot topic or two, do you think "driving while black" is a new phenomena? Sexual harassment? No, it's been going for years, but when it's no longer tucked away like a crazy uncle in the attic it's "mob mentality"? Sorry, no sale.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:23 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Chasing?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:24 PM

What Zimbabwe says:

"“I have already consulted with the authorities within the police force who are responsible for arresting the criminal. We have certain processes we have to follow,” Muchinguri said, according to the Associated Press. “. . . The processes have already started.”"

Cecil the lion

He will not get a fair trial.

He has been labeled a criminal. Before a trial, it is "suspect". Upon conviction, criminal. No, there weren't referring to past actions.

On that basis along, the US should refuse the extradition request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events