Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I think he's scum, but I'm uncomfortable extraditing an American to Zimbabwe. If they caught him while he was there, that's different to me. It's political dynamite as well.
You don't think that refusing to honor an extradition treaty could backfire? Maybe the next time the US government requests that Zimbabwe extradite a fugitive, they will feel the same and refuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:50 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
Ted Nugent... why is this guy still popular with ANYONE? He's behaved questionably with children, acts like he has a serious personality disorder and sat in his own **** for a week so he wouldn't have to go to Vietnam. While putting himself out as a giant freakin' patriot. A lot of the same people who contemptuously called Bill Clinton a draft dodger because he got a Rhodes Scholarship cream their pants over Ted Nugent, who shat in his pants.

And he doesn't seem to get the problem. It has nothing to do with the lion having a name and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that the lion was illegally lured off the preserve where he lived and the fact that there was basically a micro-economy and years of studies built around this animal. Because he was hunted illegally, not only has the local community lost out but science has lost out. So some Walter Mitty could have a head hanging on his wall.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:53 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
I think he's scum, but I'm uncomfortable extraditing an American to Zimbabwe. If they caught him while he was there, that's different to me. It's political dynamite as well. Fine the living crap out of him, and Zimbabwe is free to put him on a travel ban from ever entering their country again.
So you think Americans should get to break laws of other countries and scuttle back to the US to get slapped on the wrist? He shouldn't have been effing around in Zimbabwe to begin with if he didn't want to be subject to their jurisdiction. As Mack Knife might argue if it suited his agenda, we're really all to blame for Walter Palmer possibly facing extradition. After all, we elected politicians who either ratified the extradition agreement or failed to rescind it. However, I don't feel any sort of sympathy for this man so I will go to bed without a guilty conscience.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
That's what I was wondering. When I was growing up, anyone who hunted over bait was considered one step above being a poacher and thus about the level as chewing gum on the bottom of a shoe. The view was if you had to lure an animal to you with food instead of skillfully calling it in or killing it while it was going about its normal business, you were a lousy sportsman and not a real hunter.

When did it suddenly become acceptable to hunt for sport over bait?
Since mankind figured out how to kill other things. Throughout the history of man, there has been sport hunting. This isn't anything new. The only reason this is even in the news is because who did it, not that it was done.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
I hear the lion "brother" who was killed is actually still alive. More misinformation pouring out.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
I don't think it matters WHY people care, just that people care. If this whole Cecil incident gets even just one more person more aware and involved in wildlife conservation and endangered species, then I'm glad of all the media fuss.

I don't know about some of you, but I would like to keep lions, elephants, rhinos alive and safe. 20 or 30 years from now, a lot of these animals probably won't be around. Are we supposed to be okay with the fact that the only cheetahs and rhinos we will able to see are in the pages of a book 20 or 30 years from now?

People care about this lion because of all the media attention and awareness of how endangered this animals are and how poorly they are being treated, not because it has a name. Cecil the lion has made people all over the world aware of wildlife conservation. I think that is a wonderful thing. We can't be outraged about every animal killing, because there are just way too many unfortunately. But what we can do is start caring and get to helping these animals, starting with Cecil.
You think and believe that more people care? Then how did the lion's brother get wacked a few days later? The people who are paid to care don't care. This is all a game about money and getting money from people who have kind yet gullible hearts.

If the lions mattered that much, why were they being pimped like unpaid prostitutes to take pictures? They were conditioned to accept people as nothing to worry about, they lost their natural defense which is to be wary of human beings.

They paid for their lack of natural defense with their lives because people decided that making money taking pictures of them with tourists was worth more than their lives.

And that is why they are dead.

Guess what? Now a whole new greed will come in to make money of the lion's death.

That is how much all the bleeding hearts care. Stop being emotional about this, it doesn't help and in fact hurts.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:59 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,677 times
Quote:
I think he's scum, but I'm uncomfortable extraditing an American to Zimbabwe. If they caught him while he was there, that's different to me. It's political dynamite as well. Fine the living crap out of him, and Zimbabwe is free to put him on a travel ban from ever entering their country again.
He will likely get that fine plus some large legal bills in avoiding extradition.

His dental practice might fold, maybe a few hundred thousand a year loss in income (don't think his supporters will line up for multiple not needed dental procedures to keep his business going).

In for a change in lifestyle he is, I'm thinking.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You don't think that refusing to honor an extradition treaty could backfire? Maybe the next time the US government requests that Zimbabwe extradite a fugitive, they will feel the same and refuse.
Join reality. Plenty of countries already refuse extradition to the USA. Where have you been? Rather a clueless post you made there. Don't you do any research or add to knowledge before saying such things?

Old 08-02-2015, 10:01 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So you think Americans should get to break laws of other countries and scuttle back to the US to get slapped on the wrist? He shouldn't have been effing around in Zimbabwe to begin with if he didn't want to be subject to their jurisdiction. As Mack Knife might argue if it suited his agenda, we're really all to blame for Walter Palmer possibly facing extradition. After all, we elected politicians who either ratified the extradition agreement or failed to rescind it. However, I don't feel any sort of sympathy for this man so I will go to bed without a guilty conscience.
No. I don't feel sympathy for the guy. None. Just a general sense of unease about the extradition. It's Zimbabwe, not Mexico or Canada. I wish the lion would have eaten him. It would make things easier. If Obama's admin grants this extradition, it's going to be a political ****storm.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
He will likely get that fine plus some large legal bills in avoiding extradition.

His dental practice might fold, maybe a few hundred thousand a year loss in income (don't think his supporters will line up for multiple not needed dental procedures to keep his business going).

In for a change in lifestyle he is, I'm thinking.
Yeah... I'm still highly skeptical he actually will be extradited. But stranger things have happened. At the very least this has ruined his life. Like I said before, play with fire long enough and you will get burned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events