Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times

Advertisements

Here is my take on trophy hunters.

I see them as the weak little bullies who must take advantage of someone (or something) that is innocent and unaware.

Example: Once, when I was around six or seven years old (around 1957), I was playing outside in front of my house on the sidewalk. A group of older boys came by and threw some pennies on the ground. Being poor and young (and able to buy penny candy) I bent down to pick up the pennies.

The boys started laughing and saying "she goes down for pennies!". I had no idea, of course, what they meant by that; I just saw the pennies and thought those boys were a little crazy for throwing them away.

THOSE are the types of people who would trophy hunt.

There is something wrong or missing in these types of peoples' minds. Did those boys feel better, superior, or more powerful because they were able to take advantage of a little kid? If so, that is messed up, big time.

What type of person feels powerful by taking advantage of innocence?

These trophy hunters, I would bet their feet never even touch the ground; they don't 'hunt'. They are not the big game hunters of the nineteenth century. They are those boys who got an ego boost by making fun of a six year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 06:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Thats it, take the money and then blame those who gave for squandering it away. You want to blame the hunters instead if the recipients of the money? What is next, blaming those who donate to cancer research for not finding a cure? your logic is completely flawed.
Look, this hunting thing has been going on forever there's no need to drag it a zillion miles. The blame is not about hunters or recipients of money, is the hunter who killed the wrong lion. In this case, two of the accomplice has came out, whereas the culprit is still hiding in coward woods (probably with Cecil's collar on his own neck to remind himself of his trophy hunt). That sure prove his innocence
Its not quite the same thing for people who donate to cancer research as they certainly do not attempt to kill cancer patients do they?

Old 08-11-2015, 07:59 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Nonsense. It is estimated that only about 3% of the fees paid by trophy hunters goes for conservation efforts. Lion numbers have been dwindling steadily. The most ridiculous argument ever - killing endangered/vulnerable animals to "save" them. It's not working.
*sigh...
Game Conservation areas were put in place to preserve lions' habitat. Without the preservation efforts (and without monetary reason to do it), lion territories would still be dwindling, and loss of territory is the main reason for their decline. Lions require a vast range to live, otherwise they are prone to inbreeding, which leads to deadly disease, and had been one of the lead causes for their rapid population decline.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:06 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,493 times
What Happened in the Harrowing Hours Before Cecil the Lion Was Killed
https://gma.yahoo.com/happened-harrowing-hours-cecil-lion-killed

"Stapelkamp said he believes Palmer and Bronkhorst knew they were killing Cecil...

"Both men have means. They are intelligent. You can do an Internet search for Hwange lion and a picture of Cecil pops up," Stapelkamp [the Oxford University researcher who collared Cecil for study] said. "If you are coming to Zimbabwe to hunt a lion, you do a little bit of research. I think ignorance is no defense. They knew what they were coming for."

Old 08-14-2015, 01:12 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,493 times
The pictures Walter Palmer tried paying $20,000 to stop you seeing: How Palmer illegally shot this bear and then tried to bribe the Wisconsin guides to cover it up - 10 years before he slayed Cecil the lion....

The pictures Cecil the lion killer Walter Palmer tried to stop you seeing | Daily Mail Online

Images show Walter Palmer standing over the animal in Wisconsin in 2006

Dentist killed the black bear in a zone where he didn't have a permit

He then tried to bribe people on the hunt in a bid to cover his actions up

Palmer then lied to federal prosecutors about the slaying during their probe

He pleaded guilty to felony charges - but was only fined $3,000

The Minnesota native had faced five years in prison and a $250,000 fine

Old 08-14-2015, 05:25 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post

"Stapelkamp said he believes Palmer and Bronkhorst knew they were killing Cecil...

"Both men have means. They are intelligent. You can do an Internet search for Hwange lion and a picture of Cecil pops up," Stapelkamp [the Oxford University researcher who collared Cecil for study] said. "If you are coming to Zimbabwe to hunt a lion, you do a little bit of research. I think ignorance is no defense. They knew what they were coming for."
Yes, that was my gut feeling; he was after Cecil specifically.

Especially after learning from the guide that palmer wanted to kill an elephant after killing Cecil, but they 'couldn't find one BIG enough' for the POS palmer.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:55 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, that was my gut feeling; he was after Cecil specifically.

Especially after learning from the guide that palmer wanted to kill an elephant after killing Cecil, but they 'couldn't find one BIG enough' for the POS palmer.
Yes, a POS dentist whose clients should be extremely wary of, given his bloodlust for killing. I would never ever allow him near me or any of my love ones.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post

Only fools would believe the jackass was ignorant of it, its less fun to kill a regular lion.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
just to be clear, the tiny peniled coward is from North Dakota

Old 08-14-2015, 10:50 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Frankly--big woop. Someone shot a lion. Yawn.

I do agree it was wrong insomuch that the lion was on a preserve, a place made specifically for nature to be nature without human intervention. Yes, the lion should have been left alone. I AGREE with the responsible preservation of nature in such ways.

Still, the level of outrage over this is comical. Please. It's a lion, not a child. To be THIS outraged over what is ultimately an animal is ridiculous. Frankly, I see it as a sign that morality in this country is shot all to hades, right up there with gay marriage and people making babies out of wedlock and abandoning their children and their mother or father. When we can't have the moral realization that human life is 13,328,092 times more sacred than animal life, we're no better than Sodom or Gomorrah ever were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events