Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 11:40 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times

Advertisements

He will be extradited as poaching is illegal in the US and Zimbabwe and there is an extradition agreement. The fact that they have awful prisons is not a factor in the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 11:41 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It is idiotic at best to wish death upon someone because of the killing of an animal.
If you killed my dog, you would have to deal with me, and you won't want that.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:41 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And so what. There is nothing wrong with killing animals for a rational purpose. Nothing. Eating them, using their fur, studying them for medical research, all of it. As long as the killing is for a rational and productive purpose, the killing of animals is correct, moral, right, desirable, and good.
I see you didn't include "as long as they are humanely treated". So obviously you neither care about animals nor are you concerned with treating them compassionately. So your opinion is neither moral, right, nor good.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:50 AM

284 posts, read 492,233 times
In the early 1980's Mugabe's private army, the Fifth Brigade, killed at least 20,000 Ndbele, possibly far more, in an act of genocide for which Mugabe has yet to be tried.
The idea of his government expressing outrage over the death of a lion seems ridiculous.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:03 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I see you didn't include "as long as they are humanely treated". So obviously you neither care about animals nor are you concerned with treating them compassionately. So your opinion is neither moral, right, nor good.
I wish I could rep you a million points for this post.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:11 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Thanks for putting that up. I'm amused and saddened by the number of folks puffed up with 'American Exceptionalism' in justice systems. I suppose you could never find an example of someone with deep enough pockets to get themselves the best justice money can buy right here at home. Especially if you're well heeled enough to afford $50K to kill an animal then hire a P.R. firm to slap a coat of whitewash on it.

Somebody's been watching the film "Midnight Express" a little too often...
Perhaps somebody should read up on Zimbabwe, and then try to tell me I'm being stupid. This country is much worse than "Midnight Express."

Old 08-01-2015, 12:24 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Except lion Cecil is not included in the permit.

Oh, so its cool to hunt some lions, just not THAT particular lion, a lion that virtually nobody outside of the nation where it lived had ever heard of before this story came out. Meanwhile lions are being killed off regular through big game hunting and have been for years.

Also around this time, his cubs as well as his brothers are being massacred by other lions who now want to assume the dominant role.

Not sure when the Twitter campaign to protect those lions starts but it just seems more of the usual sort of "outrage story of the week", people will be irate, we'll have ourselves a good old fashioned internet lynching of the dentist as people have repeatedly posted his home and work address and have made death threats against him.

I just feel like there's a lot of amped up and phony outrage, I've seen some nutty rhetoric in regards to the dentist and the reality is that people didn't know or didn't care to know until the lion had a name, and frankly the vast majority won't give a damn in a week. 99% of those who are upset will find something else to be outraged in a week's time in our 24 hour news driven culture and the cycle will begin anew, meanwhile, the hunting of lions via permit will continue on as it has, lions will continue killing lions as they have, and not a **** will be given on that or any other day about dead lions because the aggrievance bandwagon and lynch mob have moved on.

Last edited by Juram; 08-01-2015 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 12:48 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Zimbabwe seems quite devastated by the loss of both Cecil and now Cecil's brother Jericho.

When contacted on Saturday a woman who answered the phone said she was too devastated to speak.

Read more: Cecil the lion's brother Jericho shot dead by poachers in Zimbabwean park | Daily Mail Online

Old 08-01-2015, 12:56 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Cecil's brother Jericho has just been shot by poachers as well.

Read more: Cecil the lion's brother Jericho shot dead by poachers in Zimbabwean park | Daily Mail Online

Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Cecil's brother Jericho has just been shot by poachers as well.

Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events