Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ugh, I posted them twice already, and others did too, but I will hunt them down.

I cut and pasted this last night but I have to find the original article: "

Emmanuel Fundira, president of the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe, said foreign tourists in Zimbabwe were forecast to spend about $5 million in the final quarter of 2015 — crucial revenue for this country.
Many international tourists that were set to visit the country to see Cecil have canceled their trips,” Fundira said. “This killing is a huge loss to our tourism sector that was contributing immensely to the national wealth.

"Farai Gambiza, 45, a Harare resident, canceled his October trip to Hwange National Park with his wife and children. “We have no reason to go there anymore because Cecil is dead,” Gambiza said. “We want the government to make sure that they bring Palmer to Zimbabwe so that he faces justice."
Patricia Muchekesi, 47, a government councilor near Hwange, said Cecil was beloved among Zimbabweans. “Cecil was a rare breed of a lion,” she said. “Unlike other lions that we know to be dangerous, Cecil was very friendly."

Here is a link from Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/cecil-lion-f...evealed-357734

"The lion’s death was a blow to Zimbabwe’s tourism industry because of Cecil’s status as a tourist attraction,
the AP reports.
Cecil has been compared to Shamu, Seaworld's famous orca, and “was one of the animals you were guaranteed you were going to see” on a safari trip, Johnny Rodrigues, spokesperson for the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, told The Washington Post."

More later, have to get ready to go to family birthday...I don't know why the text is so light here, lol.
So this is conjecture and projections since this lion's death.
Have you researched anything on safari operators and revenue prior to this ?

Hunting is their main revenue source.
$75 million in 2014.

http://www.herald.co.zw/safari-opera...ft-in-revenue/

Trophy hunting safaris bring in way more money than photo safaris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 10:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Extradite him to Zimbabwe and all that will happen is that the government will get more money from him and he'll be let go.

You're talking about Zimbabwe here folks..one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
Every time we give an animal a name like Bambi, we attempt to anthropomorphize the animal. Take a drive across the Pennsylvania Turnpike and count the dead Bambis from Philly to Ohio. They are a threat to the motoring public and cause numerous human casualties every year. Shamu, Cecil and Andre the seal who wintered at the New England Aquarium and swam north in Maine to the same dock every spring to sponge off the tourists are all examples. They are unnatural.

Andre the Seal Statue, Rockport, Maine

Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The act of deliberately finding and posting that information in a thread where there are multiple calls for murdering this dentist (exaggerated or not) is not an innocent act of sharing publicly available information. No matter how you spin it. One day the courts will be forced to make a decision on this once and for all.
Maybe this post shouldn't have been posted, either. But you didn't mention it. I mean wow, someone might board a plane and go to Zimbabwa because of this.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
Come on all you talkers who just want to feel good but can't deal with actually doing anything more than blame Palmer and call for his hanging.

Do something other that sit behind your keyboards smirking that you got Palmer when all you did was nothing.

Here it is, see the hard work was already done. No put up or shut up. What do you say:

entral Reservations Office
Parks & Wildlife Management Authority
Corner Sandringham & Borrowdale Roads
Botanical Gardens
PO Box CY140, Causeway, Harare
Telephone: 263 4 706077/8
Email: bookings@zimparks.co.zw
TOLL FREE LINES: 0800 3222 344 OR 0800 3222 347

WHATSAPP: +263783732479 (ZIMPARKS RESERVATIONS)

: +263772433901 (PUBLIC RELATIONS)

Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
So to sum up; some people in Zimbabwe care and some people don't. Some people all over the world care and some people don't. That's true about everything that goes on in this world. It won't make the people who care stop caring and it won't make the people who don't care, care.

What's the point of pointing this out?

Old 08-01-2015, 10:33 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
"Hell, I've taken LOTS of animals, hunting in my life. "

Is there some reason hunters refer to killing animals as "taking", "harvesting", etc.? Why not call it what it is? You've killed lots of animals. Own it.
And so what. There is nothing wrong with killing animals for a rational purpose. Nothing. Eating them, using their fur, studying them for medical research, all of it. As long as the killing is for a rational and productive purpose, the killing of animals is correct, moral, right, desirable, and good.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So this is conjecture and projections since this lion's death.
Have you researched anything on safari operators and revenue prior to this ?

Hunting is their main revenue source.
$75 million in 2014.

http://www.herald.co.zw/safari-opera...ft-in-revenue/

Trophy hunting safaris bring in way more money than photo safaris.

I've read many things in the past few days that state the exact opposite of that.

Elephants worth much, much more alive than dead, says new report | Mongabay Enviromental News

In their report, iworry estimated the raw-ivory value of a poached elephant to be $21,000. In contrast, a living elephant is worth more than $1.6 million over its lifetime, largely because of its eco-tourism draw.

“The value of elephant tourism is extremely high, with a living elephant worth a shocking 76 times more alive in the savannah than in the market place,” said Rob Brandford, iworryc ampaign director. “

I have a feeling we will both be able to find reports backing our opinions. I can't find the post that said the local lodges and safari operators said they would have made that $50,000 off of Cecil in 5 days of photo safaris and lodging revenue from them, it was on the first Cecil page...I did re-read the first 6 pages but will try again later.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:45 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Someone's head needs to roll! That idiot ought to be fed alive to lions! Poor beautiful Cecil is gone and his cubs might get kill too because of this ssoab's disgusting ego. This dentist is just one sick example of money is the root of all evil and he must not get away with it.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/821/7...-in-zimbambwe/

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/437/7...on-cecil-cubs/
It is idiotic at best to wish death upon someone because of the killing of an animal.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Extradite him to Zimbabwe and all that will happen is that the government will get more money from him and he'll be let go.

You're talking about Zimbabwe here folks..one of the most corrupt countries in the world.
I don't think theres a chance in hell of him being extradited. Even I see that as a bridge too far.

Zimbabwe is just as guilty for advertising and supporting trophy hunting. They make more money on Safari's where people go just to see the animals.

I do not srsly think that this guy went with the intention of killing the 'local favorite' Cecil.

I still could never respect anyone who kills for fun but . . I think maybe he's learned his lesson. Maybe.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:39 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Matter of perspective, not as much world concern for the people's struggles it seems.

Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion - El Paso Times
Actually, it's about conservation, poaching, protection of endangered wildlife and the legality of trophy hunting. It's not just about a lion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events