Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 04:21 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,412,847 times

Advertisements

So basically he was in a legal position outside of the reserve and HE was licensed. His guides were not properly licensed. Guess its time to stop blaming the guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:31 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
So basically he was in a legal position outside of the reserve and HE was licensed. His guides were not properly licensed. Guess its time to stop blaming the guy.
Why don't we just encourage people not to patronize his business? Then he won't have money to hire improperly licensed people, as he can't seem to be able to determine who is properly licensed and who isn't.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:36 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Was this illegal? Inremember teading a similar story where the person paid a ton of money for a permit to shoot a rhino and people were mad even though it was completely legal.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
The fact that this guy would hunt a lion sickens me. They're going to be extinct before we know it.

He seems to know exactly what he's doing - he lied to federal wildlife officials about his location when he killed a black bear in WI in 2008.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Was this illegal? Inremember teading a similar story where the person paid a ton of money for a permit to shoot a rhino and people were mad even though it was completely legal.

Yes, the lion was in a park - you cannot shoot an animal in a park, so they lured it out and shot him there. Also illegal.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, the lion was in a park - you cannot shoot an animal in a park, so they lured it out and shot him there. Also illegal.
Baiting an animal is not illegal.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
My bad - you are correct. That's why so many of the collared lions in the study are now dead.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:47 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
The citations are well argued opinions where context matters. Sure, legal trophy hunting is a potentially effective conservation technique but like any other tool this is only true when it is applied properly. It isn't a great first line of defense. I have never met anyone in the modern world who feel that sacrificing village children to warlords as a tribute is a great way of doing things. They understand that some places simply do what they have to do to survive but nobody really enthusiastically defends it as optimal.

The way your support has been written come across as agreeing that any loss to an endangered species population can be justified so long as money is thrown into the pot. Your reasoning as it was written would justify hunting something even if there were as few as 10 members remaining.

Also about baiting, the problem I have with that is that the person doing so is bypassing the rules that are represented by the park's boundaries. It provides insight on a person's character although it is definitely not the end-all, be-all measure of a person. This is, of course, an opinion that has nothing to do with what's actually legal in Zimbabwe regarding baiting.

Hunting anything inside Hwange National Park is illegal. That there is room for your debate at all hinges on the legality of bending (symbolic) boundaries just to be able to say they scored a "legal" kill outside of the park. Even if the dentist can be legally vindicated, it still doesn't change the conclusions that can be drawn from his character.

Remember, things are different because of the rarity of endangered animals. $55k isn't exactly a lot of compensation when you consider the expectation of lost cubs and understand that healthy genetic diversity is difficult to maintain in a small population and is extremely difficult to bring back at any price.

I disagree. It certainly wasn't my intention to confuse them, at least:
The parent company home builder is analogous to the dentist. They hire their local contractors, the shoddy local builder or the licensed safari group. The customer in my analogy was just a literary device to bring home the aftereffect of unethical actions.

You're right in that ultimately, the safari team/roofer should not perpetuate fraud in the first place, I agree with this. However a parent company does have some measure of moral responsibility for overseeing their contractors, especially when we're talking about people who are familiar with the business. It's not as if the home builder is hiring experts in computer networks where they would truly be as helpless as first time homeowners who know nothing. This dentist is not a first time trophy hunter and is not even new to hunting in general, so will have had every opportunity to have developed his sense of what is right and wrong.

For example subsidiary companies are sometimes allowed to be created for the purpose of being there to take a fall to protect a parent company in a risky venture if need be. However this is not always the case, such as the use of shell companies in finance and money laundering. I think most folks understand when effort is being made to work around rules designed to delineate right from wrong.

I also understand another point where you and dpm are coming from, that the dentist is potentially a victim of fraud by the local safari operators and was simply misled, right?

I did give that possibility thought but my critique of the dentist's character would only fall further if it were true precisely because of his position as a leader of his workplace and as an experienced trophy hunter. He should be able to make better judgement calls in the field when he suspects that shenanigans are in play and not let his personal desire for a trophy overcome those senses. These characteristics reflect negatively on his position as a medical professional.

Again, it matters that he is a doctor who should be used to being in a position of responsibility. If he was just a receptionist, leadership characteristics and judgement would not matter nearly as much and mistakes are more likely to be forgivable.

OK, so say you go whale watching, and pay a local licensed operator to take you on a private tour.

You then find out that they used some sort of illegal bait / sonar waves / whatever to "bait" whales into the area.

How's that your responsibility ?

I am an engineer and often have to hire outside contractors to do some tasks that our company is not set up to do. These contractors know a whole lot more about these tasks than I do, but I know enough to see if they're doing good job, pulling proper permits, don't behave in an unsafe manner etc. That's because it's my professional responsibility, I was trained to do that, and my company had provided me with many resources to aid me in making sure the contractor does the job right. This is called being general contractor.

When I go on vacation and hire a deep sea fishing boat for a day, I fully rely on them to make sure everything is done properly. I know little about fishing, very little about deep sea fishing, and nothing about Mexican laws. I just want to have good time and hopefully pull in a marlin. All I care to know is that they are licensed, insured, registered, and speak English. I wouldn't know a violation if I stepped on it. This is called being a customer. You can't tell me that just because I walked into their office, saw a license hanging on the wall, and paid the fee, I am now compliant if it's found out that they did something illegal.

Can it be that the guy knew they were crooked and got in cahoots with them to get a lion out of the park ? It's possible, sure, but there's no proof of it as far as I know.

Otherwise, any customer who pulls a proper permit and hires a licensed operator should have right to expect that everything is done properly. It's operator's responsibility to know the local laws and make sure his customer does not get in trouble.

One thing I did get out from this story - stay the hell out of Zimbabwe if you don't want to be in deep sh#t.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
My bad - you are correct. That's why so many of the collared lions in the study are now dead.
The lion was also not in the park. They were in legal territory when they hunted it. Unless they drove infront of the lion through the reserve with a pice of meat ( I doubt it) they are covered in that angle.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:52 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Baiting the animal to lure it out of the park is illegal. Says so in the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events