Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
My problem with Palmer: He stated that he didn't know the lion was Cecil until after the hunt. His hunting guide even tried to hide the tracking collar. So why did Palmer still take Cecil's head and skin as trophies? Something is amiss.
This is a very good point and something I mentioned in my first post in this thread. At that exact moment Palmer knew something was wrong and yet he didn't do anything about it. Assuming that all along he didn't know that his hunt wasn't legal, at that point in time he certainly became aware. Why did he not report it?

That fact calls into question what he did and didn't know. The fact that he was then also pushing to go for another hunt, once he already knew what was going on, makes it even more troubling. I'm not convinced that he didn't know that things weren't 100% on the up and up. However, I think Mack Knife's idea that "not 100% on the up and up" is the modus operandi for Zimbabwean trophy hunting has a lot of merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Whats so amiss about it? The lion was already dead. Why not skin it?
Once they knew it was a tagged and tracked lion that they killed, they should have contacted the authorities. Of course, that would have meant losing his trophy. However, it is what a 100% legit hunter would have done. That he ignored the fact that he killed a tagged lion calls into question all of his actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 01:40 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
This is a very good point and something I mentioned in my first post in this thread. At that exact moment Palmer knew something was wrong and yet he didn't do anything about it. Assuming that all along he didn't know that his hunt wasn't legal, at that point in time he certainly became aware. Why did he not report it?

That fact calls into question what he did and didn't know. The fact that he was then also pushing to go for another hunt, once he already knew what was going on, makes it even more troubling. I'm not convinced that he didn't know that things weren't 100% on the up and up. However, I think Mack Knife's idea that "not 100% on the up and up" is the modus operandi for Zimbabwean trophy hunting has a lot of merit.

Once they knew it was a tagged and tracked lion that they killed, they should have contacted the authorities. Of course, that would have meant losing his trophy. However, it is what a 100% legit hunter would have done. That he ignored the fact that he killed a tagged lion calls into question all of his actions.

I can see that. However, since it was already dead what would change at that point? Not to mention that it wasn't illegal to kill a collared lion.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Look...on a list of messed up, wrong, and tragic things that happened in Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe that day, a lion being taken for a trophy is something like number 25,000.

It's a lion.

A lion.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I can see that. However, since it was already dead what would change at that point? Not to mention that it wasn't illegal to kill a collared lion.
You are correct that is is not specifically illegal to kill a collared lion. However, Palmer's statements that he didn't know it was a local favorite and collared for research when he shot it, is him attempting to leave one with the impression that had he known he wouldn't have killed it. Meaning, post hunt, you think he would have at least reported it since he "didn't do anything wrong" per his knowledge.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:52 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,174 times
Quote:
Whats so amiss about it? The lion was already dead. Why not skin it?
The hunting guide said Palmer was devastated, but he still wanted Cecil's head. I feel they should have kept Cecil's body intact and promptly reported the mishap. I guess Palmer wasn't all that "devastated" since he cut up Cecil's body for hunting trophies.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:52 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times
Quote:
You are correct that is is not specifically illegal to kill a collared lion. However, Palmer's statements that he didn't know it was a local favorite and collared for research when he shot it, is him attempting to leave one with the impression that had he known he wouldn't have killed it. Meaning, post hunt, you think he would have at least reported it since he "didn't do anything wrong" per his knowledge.
Why should he report it thou? There was nothing illegal about it.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Why should he report it thou? There was nothing illegal about it.
...because when you take a collared animal while hunting, there is a duty to report it. Not reporting it is highly suspicious.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
...because when you take a collared animal while hunting, there is a duty to report it. Not reporting it is highly suspicious.
It was reported the next day by Theo.
And this was the 4th collared lion shot on Honest's farm this year so Honest, of all people, would have known what to do.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
This is interesting news. It's kind of confusing because first we heard that Jericho was Cecil's brother and was dead, then that he was alive protecting Cecil's cubs. Whatever, this is a remarkable story.

Maybe some lions know the difference between right and wrong more than some people who think it's okay to kill something, butcher it and just walk away after realizing that possibly you shouldn't have. But it was okay now since it was "already dead." Maybe the lion has a greater sense of responsibility.

Cecil the lion's cubs are being protected by his BROTHER | Daily Mail Online

Old 08-03-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was reported the next day by Theo.
And this was the 4th collared lion shot on Honest's farm this year so Honest, of all people, would have known what to do.
I hadn't read about that, do you have a link you can share? This fact would lead me even more to believe that Palmer may have been innocent in the affair and had no idea that his hunt wasn't legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events