Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:41 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
Or maybe they are not allowed to? and also maybe barriers have been broken down because there are barriers for women like career progression , wages being so much less, amongst other things.

I'm not saying men do not have any barriers but I think society (even in the US in some states) has a long way to go before it accepts that a woman's place is not just in the home and that they are capable of so much more if they wish and should be paid equally for it. Trouble is also for some that they are excluded or made to feel wrong if they want anything outside of just getting married and those aspirations are not put into them as it is not the norm.
Income inequality is tricky problem. I've seen many women paid the same as a male counter part while doing less work. Then there are those women that work as managers that are paid less than their male counterpart but they do much less than males. There are women were are underpaid who do a lot of hard work but it's not challenging enough to be paid a higher wage than some males doing a higher difficulty job but less work.

So it's very difficult to fix this problem, there's no easy solution. I work with a mother of 3 and she is very hard working and underpaid vs some other females that does less work than she does. How do we fix this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:52 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
Quote:
How many men have been killed in honor killings in relation to deciding they will not follow their religion?
Are we talking about USA? We cannot fix every other country problem.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:54 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
Now, statistically, more men are killed, and more men go to jail. So for every girl killed for "honor", throw in 10 men killed just because they were raised male in bad 'hoods.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:20 PM

914 posts, read 973,188 times
[quote=brrabbit;40619008]Are we talking about USA? We cannot fix every other country problem.

I thought this was a general discussion about the sexes not country specific but I am sure the US experiences this anyway as it is happening in most of Europe as nothing to do with country and everything to do with religion

Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 PM

282 posts, read 447,099 times
Women on average do not make less money than men for the same jobs. No, Women Don

Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
Women on average do not make less money than men for the same jobs. No, Women Don
As a self employed woman (in a male dominated business) I'll say you are right, if I get the job I get paid the same as a man, its just harder to get the job.

After 20+ years of having the reputation of being the person to go see after you've tried the rest, I still struggle to get the easy money jobs, they only come to me when others have failed and now they need it asap. Yes I actually charge a little bit more, but at least I deliver.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then the same applies to girls and we, as a society, needn't marginalize either sex with campaigns to make them understand they can do anything. Right?
You didn't answer my question. What did you do about people saying such things to your son? Did you correct them?

There needs to be media campaigns for girls to be told they can do things because sexism still abounds in the media. For an example, I ask you to keep in mind the Bechdel test when you are watching movies or tv:

"The Bechdel test is a test of female characterisation in movies. Passing the Bechdel test requires that:

the movie [media] has at least two women characters;
who talk to each other;
about something other than a man."

Most movies do not pass the Bechdel test. What kind of subtle (or not so subtle) message of sexism does that send to our kids, boys and girls?

Furthermore, you are misunderstanding that giving something to one group isn't taking away from another. Telling girls they can do anything doesn't mean we are suddenly telling boys they can't do anything. How does telling girls that they too can be doctors, soccer players, scientists, the President of the US, how does that take anything away from boys????

I'll say it again: giving something to a group that has never had it doesn't take anything away from the group that has always had it.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
How many men have been killed in honor killings in relation to deciding they will not follow their religion?
In the last 15 years nobody knows, but somewhere between 1.5 million and 5 million men have been killed for religious reasons.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:06 AM

228 posts, read 171,455 times
Today, women limit themselves (and each other) mostly.

But women do face more social pressures. To some extent, this is because we women are viewed as (and also based on experienced reality) being more amenable to, and needy of, that pressure.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:09 AM

228 posts, read 171,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
I'd like it if boys and men were allowed to talk about their feelings and fears and still be called men. I'd like men not to live in complete terror of being called gay, as if it's the worst thing to be called in the world. Boys/men are under constant societal pressure to "prove" their masculinity, and it's sickening that there's not much being done to change it.

I'm glad we're focusing on breaking down the female stereotypes in America, but we also need to dismantle the male stereotypes, too.
As a female, I would LOVE for this to change not just because it's the right and just thing for men but also for my own selfish female pleasures Men are just such dolls when they ditch the uniform and show their sensitive side. A man who writes poetry...enough to weaken the knees of even the gayest lesbian!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events