Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:45 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
You wouldn't have to because that won't happen. A helicopter is not permitted to hover 50 feet from your window. This would be something to call the FAA and report...

But this does remind me, when I used to fly remote controlled airplanes, I remember going to the police to ask if I could legally fly them in my neighborhood and was told I could not. That they were only licensed for designated areas.

I do wonder what permits these drones from being exempted from that.
Commerce. There are lots of companies from Amazon to every insurance company that wants to use drones in residential areas. Their lobbies have been in Washington for at least the last three or four years, and they've already gotten major green lights.

You want to stand in the way of business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:19 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
The guy did what he had to do to protect his family …
From what? A sense of outrage? Where was the actual quantifiable threat?

Quote:
If the "drone" had been a home-invading human predator, no jury would convict him …
And if pigs had wings they'd be airplanes... but they don't and it wasn't.

I'm all in favor of using whateve force is needed to protect one's castle, but I'm not seeing a real threat here. Had the quad been hovering outside a bedroom, maybe. Simply over the property at an above rooftop level doesn't justify getting out the AA.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:36 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Just an update with some good news on my end, anyway...my town is getting ready to do a second, final vote in city council to ban drones within 5 miles of OC's tiny airport....since OC is a 5-mile long island, this means no drones period in our town! No longer will I have to pack up my stuff and come in off the back deck because of those stupid things. The council cited "safety and privacy concerns" in their decision. Long Beach Island also banned them in their town, as did Cape May. Cape May banned them in the entire town's airspace and "as far out over the ocean as was legal to regulate".

Old 10-22-2015, 02:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just an update with some good news on my end, anyway...my town is getting ready to do a second, final vote in city council to ban drones within 5 miles of OC's tiny airport....since OC is a 5-mile long island, this means no drones period in our town! No longer will I have to pack up my stuff and come in off the back deck because of those stupid things. The council cited "safety and privacy concerns" in their decision. Long Beach Island also banned them in their town, as did Cape May. Cape May banned them in the entire town's airspace and "as far out over the ocean as was legal to regulate".
They will inevitably lose. You cannot locally regulate the right to pass overhead.

There will likely be airport bans but probably not on small airports.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:45 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
From what? A sense of outrage? Where was the actual quantifiable threat?

And if pigs had wings they'd be airplanes... but they don't and it wasn't.

I'm all in favor of using whateve force is needed to protect one's castle, but I'm not seeing a real threat here. Had the quad been hovering outside a bedroom, maybe. Simply over the property at an above rooftop level doesn't justify getting out the AA.
Invasion of Privacy is not only a "threat," it is a deliberate aggressive intrusion …

Try this:
Is it okay for a stranger to walk into your house, or, say, climb in through an open window, and just look around at everything and everyone, as long as (s)he doesn't actually touch or take anything … ???
(Assuming that the uninvited but silent polite intruder removes his/her shoes first, so as not to track in dirt onto the carpet …)

How about if the intruder takes some still photos and/or a video … ??? Is that okay … ??? Is THAT somehow a "threat" … ??? How so … ???

Old 10-22-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Invasion of Privacy is not only a "threat," it is a deliberate aggressive intrusion …

Try this:
Is it okay for a stranger to walk into your house, or, say, climb in through an open window, and just look around at everything and everyone, as long as (s)he doesn't actually touch or take anything … ???
(Assuming that the uninvited but silent polite intruder removes his/her shoes first, so as not to track in dirt onto the carpet …)

How about if the intruder takes some still photos and/or a video … ??? Is that okay … ??? Is THAT somehow a "threat" … ??? How so … ???
This is all well settled law. A person can stand on the sidewalk, look in, and take pictures. If you don't want it pictured don't have it anywhere visible from the public areas.

Same for overhead. The actual height that will be set is not known. But I would think at or above roof top.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:51 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
They will inevitably lose. You cannot locally regulate the right to pass overhead.

There will likely be airport bans but probably not on small airports.
The ones in Cape May and LBI have already passed.

I very highly doubt anyone cares enough to spend the time and money to challenge their legality here, and if they do it'll take a long time... I'll worry about tomorrow when it gets here... but now in the present, I celebrate!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:

I very highly doubt anyone cares enough to spend the time and money to challenge their legality here, and if they do it'll take a long time... I'll worry about tomorrow when it gets here... but now in the present, I celebrate!
Don't kid yourself. You may be ok for a while though I doubt anyone will actually be able to enforce the ban...and no you can't shoot the drone down. But less than five years it goes away.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:

They may have passed but nobody has sued them (yet) to make 'em reverse the law. It'll happen eventually so keep the paranoia handy...

What's going to slow down drones is the proposed regulation forcing registration of any R/C "drone" purchased.
I'll bet a dozen donuts you'll then see a whole slew of people banned from purchasing them and arrests for flying an unregistered "drone" will rocket.

Be careful what you wish for, something YOU like or want to do could very well be next.
Man oh man, I REALLY need to go buy some acreage and HIDE, people are really getting NUTSO with all their new laws,regulations and demands...

Old 10-22-2015, 11:58 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,439 times
Do you really think an ordinance will just miraculously stop people from flying them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events