Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 07:31 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
So you're pro-criminal activity and admit that you would participate in a crime. I guess I'm not surprised.

I hope you don't have children because you'd be demonstrating the same level of incompetency in parenting as the aggressor who shot down the drone. You can't be a parent from jail.
No one is going to jail. If you want to call me "pro criminal activity" go ahead, but it's just as silly as calling me that because I occasionally race through yellow/red lights or smoke the occasional joint.

Again though, having experienced my own loss of privacy from one of these things (I couldn't care less if it meets the "legal" definition of invasion of privacy, btw) I am firmly on this guy's side and I don't feel the slightest bit ashamed about it despite your attempts to do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 11:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again though, having experienced my own loss of privacy from one of these things (I couldn't care less if it meets the "legal" definition of invasion of privacy, btw) I am firmly on this guy's side and I don't feel the slightest bit ashamed about it despite your attempts to do just that.
The difference is that you experienced a loss of privacy. This guy and his family did not experience a loss of privacy (based on the evidence thus far). It was absurd and out of line for this guy to attack another person's private property.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:42 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
No one is going to jail. If you want to call me "pro criminal activity" go ahead, but it's just as silly as calling me that because I occasionally race through yellow/red lights or smoke the occasional joint.

So you put yourself into the same category as this woman and feel her actions are justified?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDTpCDC6b2U

Old 08-10-2015, 06:10 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
If it was the police department habitually flying a camera-equipped drone over a citizen's private, fenced residence, something tells me you would change your stance in a hurry...
I used to live near the beach. The copters were worse than annoying. Since persons on the beach might walk up a few blocks and check out your yard, they'd fly over and check to see. A night they'd use the lights. It was useless in the summer to try to enjoy your yard.

A drone would be more quiet, but it would need a light at night and would in essense be no different.

Once for a week they had both of their spyplanes out of commission and it was sooooo nice and quiet and dark at night. Didn't wake up once worried that some bad guy was hiding in my yard.

Drones are only a more evolved and worse form of spying on private space. If they get knocked down nobody gets hurt so there is nothing to be careful of.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So you put yourself into the same category as this woman and feel her actions are justified?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDTpCDC6b2U
That's a public area which is different IMO but also I'm not a person who would physically attack people and I do not condone it. I do still feel the guy the thread is about was justified.

I want to add though, the scenario on the beach and others like it will have to be addressed by the laws to catch up with these. My niece and her husband called the cops on the beach last year because they saw a man surreptitiously taking pics of kids on the beach in their bathing suits...the cops kicked him off the beach....so you can't take photos of other people's kids with a phone or camera, but you can with a drone you're sitting somewhere operating? How does that make sense to anyone? So while I'm against how the woman handled it, I get her frustration.

These are toys, period...there is no inherent right to play with your toys anywhere you feel like it.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-10-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 07:36 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
At no point in the article does it mention the drone was "peeping into his daughter's room."

I was looking for that too.

Unless you fly that drone right up to the window and point it inside, it's not really going to get good footage flying around 100 feet away. The camera equipment many carry is geared towards scenic aerial footage, and is usually a fisheye lens. Peering into bedroom windows at 100 feet is not really something most can do at all.

I'm a big drone and firearm enthusiast and spend my time on forums for both. 99% of the drone fliers just want to fly around and get good scenic shots or are using the camera for FPV (first person view) and not recording a thing at all. Everytime a drone thread appears on a firearm forum i'm on, most of the replies center on shooting them down impling every single one is spying on them.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
I understand what you're saying...I am saying I don't care about the legality. Having experienced loss of privacy to a drone as I stated, and being driven in from my own deck instead of relaxing and watching a sunset like I had planned...and wanting with all my heart to throw a deck chair at the stupid thing...I don't care in the slightest little bit whether what he did was legal, I support him regardless. He did what he had to do. Those things are the enemy as far as I'm concerned. That man's territory was invaded and he defended it, period, JMO but a very firm one.
You do realize satellites go over your house frequently looking down as well right? Your home is on google earth and I'd almost bet that google streets allows anyone to drive right by looking at your home from the comfort of their living rooms as well.

Of all the things currently going on in the world and I'm sure even in your neighborhood this is the thing that gets you all worked up? Seriously??
Why not just wave at it with middle finger properly displayed and go on with your day or, do you have something to be ashamed of?
Sounds a whole lot like kids in the back of a car shrieking "Daaaaadddy he's loooooking at meeeeee again"

As for the Nancy "mouth of the south" Grace show all it showed me is what probably happened. I'd bet the drone owner knew that the homeowner was hypersensitive to drones and probably had contact (words) with him about it previously and so he purposely flew it over there to needle him and it got out of control.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
These are toys, period...there is no inherent right to play with your toys anywhere you feel like it.
So where does that thinking end? I am particularly annoyed when the guy in the next car has a heavy bass thumping out rap. Can I draw and shoot out his windows to sent a message that my privacy is being disturbed by his toy? In neither your case nor in my example is anyone actually threatened by the intrusion, but it may be quite disturbing to the "victim". As long as no citable laws are broken, there's little valid response to the offender. Being visible in a public space, or a space viewable from a public area, includes loss of "privacy". When the "viewer" gets higher, you're going to need a higher fence. And as mentioned in another post, overhead shots are increasingly available, whether from a drone over public space or from Google Maps. Don't like it? Get a bigger pece of land to live on and/or build an overhead cover.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You do realize satellites go over your house frequently looking down as well right? Your home is on google earth and I'd almost bet that google streets allows anyone to drive right by looking at your home from the comfort of their living rooms as well.

Of all the things currently going on in the world and I'm sure even in your neighborhood this is the thing that gets you all worked up? Seriously??
Why not just wave at it with middle finger properly displayed and go on with your day or, do you have something to be ashamed of?
Sounds a whole lot like kids in the back of a car shrieking "Daaaaadddy he's loooooking at meeeeee again"

As for the Nancy "mouth of the south" Grace show all it showed me is what probably happened. I'd bet the drone owner knew that the homeowner was hypersensitive to drones and probably had contact (words) with him about it previously and so he purposely flew it over there to needle him and it got out of control.
I don't even think about Google Earth, don't think anyone is staring at me from them like the case with the drone was. I tried to ignore it, in the end I just couldn't, it bugged me and that's all there is to it. I ended up packing up my things and going inside. It's fine if it's not a big deal to you, but it was to me, and my posts reflect my feelings and opinions.

And yes the man had already called the police multiple times about drones.

You may think it's silly, but these things are going to be a pedophiles dream, fly it right over the playground and get a good close-up view of the little girls panties when they come down the slide, and if anyone thinks that is not going to happen, I have a bridge to sell you.

Again, the law needs to and IMO will, catch up with these things. In the meantime, I feel as I do and that's it. You are perfectly free to feel differently.

They both explained their sides, I'm not going to regurgitate the show, but there is no guessing, the guy said his friend dared him to try to get a picture of a particular house so he claimed that's what he was doing.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-10-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 10:56 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:

You may think it's silly, but these things are going to be a pedophiles dream, fly it right over the playground and get a good close-up view of the little girls panties when they come down the slide, and if anyone thinks that is not going to happen, I have a bridge to sell you.
Are you being serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events