Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 05:32 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Invasion of Privacy is not only a "threat," it is a deliberate aggressive intrusion …
Privacy is fast-eroding and "reasonable" limits are changing every day. I object to my medical records being kept electronically, see it as an invasion of my privacy, but can do little about it. A 6-, 8-, or 10 ft fence around my yard should ensure my privacy but then someone will have a damned airplane or helicopter somewhere in the airspace above. Does Google Earth offend you? Using it, I (and anyone else - even you) can see the shed I erected in my backyard *and* the bird feeder next to it. Live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Try this:
Is it okay for a stranger to walk into your house, or, say, climb in through an open window, and just look around at everything and everyone, as long as (s)he doesn't actually touch or take anything … ???
(Assuming that the uninvited but silent polite intruder removes his/her shoes first, so as not to track in dirt onto the carpet …)

How about if the intruder takes some still photos and/or a video … ??? Is that okay … ??? Is THAT somehow a "threat" … ??? How so … ???
No, because the plane of my house, walls and ceiling, define my area of privacy as long as I take reasonable steps to preserve that. If I have 10' windows with no blinds or other covering, light it up inside after it's dark outside - well, it makes it harder to claim my privacy is being invaded. If someone physically breaks that plane, even if only by reaching in an inch, and enters my house univited, they will be shot on sight without hesitation or regret, no matter who they are or what they appear to be doing. Standing (or hovering) outside makes it a little harder to justify that.

Technology is changing quicker than the law can keep up. Adaptation is necessary both to preserve what illusion of privacy we have and to evaluate and deal with risks, both legally and effectively, as we judge them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 06:09 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
The public vastly overestimates the ability of these drones. This isn't US military spy tech. A go pro at 100 feet doesn't really capture a whole lot of detailed up close images.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:49 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Don't kid yourself. You may be ok for a while though I doubt anyone will actually be able to enforce the ban...and no you can't shoot the drone down. But less than five years it goes away.
I might get hit by a bus in 4 years, so I might as well enjoy my drone-free today.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:52 AM

Well damn, if they are going to ban them in five year, I better make sure I go fly mine around today.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Do you really think an ordinance will just miraculously stop people from flying them
It gives the police a way to stop them, which they did not have before. The incident that started them discussing it was when a drone delayed a football scrimmage at the high school for over 20 minutes, buzzing up and down from over the players to among the players individually, close enough they could have swatted it...why the hell should people have to put up with harassment like that? School officials called police, who came, but realize they really are a dog with no teeth when it comes to drones due to the lack of laws, so they did something about it.

Even the real estate people are okay with it, and they have actually used drones to show houses here. Everyone realized this can get out of control very quickly, and they are trying to do something before that happens, I applaud them. Later they may have permits and licenses to allow special uses, but for right now this is what it is.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The public vastly overestimates the ability of these drones. This isn't US military spy tech. A go pro at 100 feet doesn't really capture a whole lot of detailed up close images.
It doesn;t matter, it's f-in annoying an and invasion of privacy. The night I had my annoying encounter, I am just laying on my own deck trying to relax, and I have this thing buzzing like a giant, annoying fly 10 feet over me for 20 minutes until I finally gave up trying to ignore it and went in...IMO that person flying that drone bullied me off my own deck, how is that right or acceptable to anyone??

Old 10-23-2015, 08:30 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn;t matter, it's f-in annoying an and invasion of privacy. The night I had my annoying encounter, I am just laying on my own deck trying to relax, and I have this thing buzzing like a giant, annoying fly 10 feet over me for 20 minutes until I finally gave up trying to ignore it and went in...IMO that person flying that drone bullied me off my own deck, how is that right or acceptable to anyone??

It isnt, I think we'll have far more carefully defined rules as to where and how these devices can be used in the near future as I see them leading to increased conflict and complaints due to some highly irresponsible or malicious owners.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

It isn't right. At no point should a drone operator fly that close to people. It's dangerous because it's well known in the hobby that those props can cause serious injury if they hit someone.

Unfortunately it will be the loud minority who will ruin it for the silent majority...much like anything else. Common sense rules like don't fly near people or airports or over sensitive landmarks get ignored, and it causes things to get banned.

Plus not all of them carry cameras, but everyone assumes they are filming everything.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:28 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times
Drones now need to be registered.
New law may pass soon on the specifics...

http://readwrite.com/2015/10/22/dron...-laws-registry

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/17/us/dot-drone-task-force/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkIMnImhE8

More laws may come on privacy and other issues...

Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It isn't right. At no point should a drone operator fly that close to people. It's dangerous because it's well known in the hobby that those props can cause serious injury if they hit someone.

Unfortunately it will be the loud minority who will ruin it for the silent majority...much like anything else. Common sense rules like don't fly near people or airports or over sensitive landmarks get ignored, and it causes things to get banned.

Plus not all of them carry cameras, but everyone assumes they are filming everything.
I don't care at all about filming, but it's like a giant fly buzzing around, except it can see because it's really a person.

It's like anything else, most people may be serious hobbyists, but many drone users are kids who want to cause mischief with them, and yes, those users are going to ruin it for everyone else. Serious hobbyists ought to be angry at them, not me or the other citizens and the lawmakers driven nuts enough by them to create laws in reaction to their mischief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events