Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 11:28 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,259,022 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems shocked when this kind of stuff happens. It keeps happening, but people still seem shocked each time. When are people going to get past their denial that we live in a fascist country? This kind of behavior is normal in a fascist country. The cop didn't do anything wrong, because cops in a fascist country have a right to stomp their jackboots onto the faces and necks of mere citizens, and use a gun on them when they're feeling too lazy to use their jackboots. Are people in so much denial that they think mere citizens have a higher status than cockroaches or something?

When the government tries to change or reinterpret the constitution to disarm everyone, pay attention to the details. If they want to leave the cops armed, while they disarm everyone else, that's because it's fascism. Jackboots alone aren't enough, because fear of the cops' guns is part of what keeps people from trying to evade the jackboots.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,564,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It seems to me that traffic stops are no longer just about the traffic violation but have become a vehicle (no pun intended) to catch people in the act of something, anything.

This puts way too much pressure on all parties. The cops to pull of some heroic capture of a deadly menace and the citizen to be defensive and fear overreach.

It puts cops lives in danger and makes them more aggressive. It makes the perpetrators more aggressive and puts the general public in danger when they take of and chases ensue or gun battles erupt. Traffic cops should be traffic cops and leave the investigating to the detectives and others trained to do it. Hopefully with minimal loss of innocent life and due process being the end objective.

Now, not only is the driver dead, and his family ruined, but the cop's life is over, his family is devastated, and the two cops with him who allegedly lied to cover up the truth here are also in serious trouble and their lives ruined.

I think there needs to be a serious overhaul of the traffic stop and its purpose.
I think you put it perfectly. We are seen as guilty from the get-go and a revenue source. We need to re-think our whole process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
But he was not summarily executed. The officer shot him maybe because he panicked when he tried to drive away. Maybe the policeman in that instance feared for his life.
He didn't just walk up to the car and think hey here is a man I think might be a criminal let me shoot him. He tried pretty nicely to handle the situation until the scramble/panic that ensued when the motorist tried to drive away.

This doesn't say the proper reaction was to shoot just that is was not an execution.
"I was in fear for my life"! Tired of hearing it. BUT - I do agree that probably he didn't plan on this but did seem hell bent on being a total jackass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Interesting. Here is another video of Tensing stopping another black male.

Note: He has no reason to detain them. He never tells them what he stopped them for. He asks for the passenger's name and address when he has no reasonable suspicion of any crime. These guys know their rights and will not step out of the car and the passenger will not identify himself which is perfectly within his legal rights. They ask for his supervisor and he refuses to provide that, so they actually call the Cincinnati cops to say they are being harassed by the University police. You don't see Tensing's face right away - you see it at about 4:30 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBAq...yer_detailpage
Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Everyone seems shocked when this kind of stuff happens. It keeps happening, but people still seem shocked each time. When are people going to get past their denial that we live in a fascist country? This kind of behavior is normal in a fascist country. The cop didn't do anything wrong, because cops in a fascist country have a right to stomp their jackboots onto the faces and necks of mere citizens, and use a gun on them when they're feeling too lazy to use their jackboots. Are people in so much denial that they think mere citizens have a higher status than cockroaches or something?

When the government tries to change or reinterpret the constitution to disarm everyone, pay attention to the details. If they want to leave the cops armed, while they disarm everyone else, that's because it's fascism. Jackboots alone aren't enough, because fear of the cops' guns is part of what keeps people from trying to evade the jackboots.
God that's depressing.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:40 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,259,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
Why do police departments across the country hire these morons (ex-military)? How about increasing the salaries and hiring people with college degrees? The cops we have right now are pretty much bottom of the barrel losers without any tact or problem-solving skills.
In some cases the cop's boss might agree with his racism and other attitudes, and hire him because the two of them seem to get along better than some other candidates who might be more concerned about sticking to the rules. But when the cop gets prosecuted for murder, they never prosecute his boss. That's one reason why it's better to be a cop's boss than to be the cop. It might be the safest position from which to impose his bigotry, and work on improving his kill rate, without ever suffering consequences.

But ex-military has nothing to do with it. If anything, that makes a cop more qualified, not less.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,840,307 times
Quote:

Note: He has no reason to detain them. He never tells them what he stopped them for. He asks for the passenger's name and address when he has no reasonable suspicion of any crime. These guys know their rights and will not step out of the car and the passenger will not identify himself which is perfectly within his legal rights. They ask for his supervisor and he refuses to provide that, so they actually call the Cincinnati cops to say they are being harassed by the University police. You don't see Tensing's face right away - you see it at about 4:30 in.

His eyes are pleading. He looks like he is about to cry the whole time.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:56 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times

I'm going to offer a different perspective - and I'm white.

The reason Black Lives Matter exists is because statistics have proven cops abuse their power more often with black people than with white people.

As far as Ferguson, I thought the cops were right, but there were peripheral stories where they were wrong.

In thinking about the articles we've read and the videos we've seen, almost all of them have black people being strong armed or shot for piddly things. And in NY? Where there are bigger fish to fry? That's insane.

Five black women died in Texas prisons over the course of this past month alone. Someone needs to look into that. That's odd.

Racists will say there's a reason for all of this, implying black people do something to deserve what they get or commit more crimes.

I wish I could credit the person who repped me a couple weeks ago and left this note. The poster didn't leave his/her name, so if you're reading this, feel free to claim this. It makes sense, and I believe it's true:

Quote:
Good point. Nowadays some officers lie just because society has deemed their victim less credible and are trading in on implicit bias and the assumption police are "honest."
BINGO! And for years, we bought it, too, until the advent of cell phone cameras and the internet where proof could be provided. If black people said they were roughed up, most of us wondered what they did to warrant it. If they said they were beaten because they were black, we sighed and said they needed to stop playing the race card. I'm just being honest here. We didn't know the reality of this abuse the way we are aware of it today - or the way black people have been aware of it all along.

There's a reason black comics (not white comics) have joked about this for decades. All comedy is based in reality - and this has been their reality. Only of late, is it ours.

They started Black Lives Matter - let them have it. You don't need to hang your hat on that tag line in order to work on a cause.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:58 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,590,837 times
Chris Rock. "How not to get your behind kicked by the police"

https://youtu.be/QR465HoCWFQ

Old 07-30-2015, 12:07 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,063,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
"I was in fear for my life"! Tired of hearing it. BUT - I do agree that probably he didn't plan on this but did seem hell bent on being a total jackass.
The video shows he trying to get the driver to give him identification. He seems to be patient and persistent about it. Not on being a total ******* until the final moments. It looked to me as if the driver tried to drive away then. Maybe I should watch it again.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:13 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,590,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
The video shows he trying to get the driver to give him identification. He seems to be patient and persistent about it. Not on being a total ******* until the final moments. It looked to me as if the driver tried to drive away then. Maybe I should watch it again.
The officer was actually quite calm and courteous throughout the entire ordeal until the driver turned the key in the ignition to flee. From what I saw in the video, this would have never escalated to the point it did had the driver just complied. The officer wasnt being rude or disrespectful. He was only trying to figure out if the driver had his license on him or not as the driver kept giving him conflicting answers.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:36 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times
Quote:

Great find! The guy had the same 'issues' a year ago, that must have been right after he was hired, it's a shame the supervisor didn't do the right thing and terminate him then while he was on probation.

That's a long video but well worth watching

Old 07-30-2015, 12:40 PM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My point is that all lives matter and to me, the issue is as much about the abuse of police power as it is about racism - white people are also killed by out of control police officers and their lives are just as important as anyone else's.

I'd really appreciate it if we could get past the color line and look at the issue of police brutality and misuse of power as a whole.

Kathryn, I agree with you.

I've had a couple of experiences with cops that I thought were "dumb", but not abusive or dangerous. But I have begun to think more and more -- as a White citizen -- of all the risks involved in even a simple traffic stop.

One time I made the mistake of getting out of the car when the cop pulled me over. I didn't know any better. I thought that's what I was supposed to do...and sometimes in videos you see them order people out of the car. He started screaming to get back in the car, fortunately without pulling his gun. So I did. Misunderstanding.

Another time I was asked for my license and registration. I had my wallet in the console next to the driver's eat. Yelled at again, this time for getting what was asked for.

What about people who keep their registration in the glove compartment?

What about people who keep it in the visor?

Sometimes, depending on where I am, I might put my wallet in the door valet.

I haven't been pulled over for a traffic violation in 7 years now, but if I were I would be afraid of the cop. Too unpredictable. Too many cops out there afraid of their own shadow. And too many who see themselves somehow above the law. When I was a kid I was raised with the motto that "the policeman is your friend". I don't believe that crap anymore.

And here's what bothers me most of all -- the more they become distrusted by the community, the more they hunker down and do the same stuff over and over. They are drowning in a vicious circle they have often created by themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events