Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:15 AM

28,944 posts, read 30,297,243 times

Advertisements

Brave Woman

Do any of you know about this?

Husband of Woman Who is Going on a One-Way Mission to Mars Speaks out for First Time

I didn't know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 AM

27,668 posts, read 16,156,388 times
I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:30 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,824,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Brave Woman

Do any of you know about this?

Husband of Woman Who is Going on a One-Way Mission to Mars Speaks out for First Time

I didn't know?
Yes, I've read about this before.

And I've been reading stories about privately-funded spaceflight for decades. Do you know how many humans have been put into orbit by privately-funded, non-governmental organizations? Precisely zero. Ever.

Putting aside the technological hurdles for the moment (which are real and considerable, but feasibly manageable), there's the cost. The Mars One organization has estimated the cost to get to Mars at $6 billion - they admit that does not include the cost of the life-support system for the arrivals. And anyone who has ever paid attention to space missions knows that nothing - nothing - ever comes in anywhere close to on-budget. For comparison, a 2009 NASA study of a bare-bones round-trip manned mission to Mars came in at $100,000,000. And that's probably lowballing it.

Oh, and how is Mars One planning on funding this incredibly expensive endeavor? With donations, sponsorships, merchandise, and a reality TV show. That's a lot of Mars One shotglasses and commercials for Hyundais. Which brings us to how much Mars One has raised so far - less than a million dollars. Just to be clear, $6 billion (which, again, isn't going to come close to covering the total costs in the end) is 6000 x $1,000,000.

Charlie Sheen will be elected President with the guy who shot the lion as his running mate before Mars One ever leaves the launch pad.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes, I've read about this before.

And I've been reading stories about privately-funded spaceflight for decades. Do you know how many humans have been put into orbit by privately-funded, non-governmental organizations? Precisely zero. Ever.

Putting aside the technological hurdles for the moment (which are real and considerable, but feasibly manageable), there's the cost. The Mars One organization has estimated the cost to get to Mars at $6 billion - they admit that does not include the cost of the life-support system for the arrivals. And anyone who has ever paid attention to space missions knows that nothing - nothing - ever comes in anywhere close to on-budget. For comparison, a 2009 NASA study of a bare-bones round-trip manned mission to Mars came in at $100,000,000. And that's probably lowballing it.

Oh, and how is Mars One planning on funding this incredibly expensive endeavor? With donations, sponsorships, merchandise, and a reality TV show. That's a lot of Mars One shotglasses and commercials for Hyundais. Which brings us to how much Mars One has raised so far - less than a million dollars. Just to be clear, $6 billion (which, again, isn't going to come close to covering the total costs in the end) is 6000 x $1,000,000.

Charlie Sheen will be elected President with the guy who shot the lion as his running mate before Mars One ever leaves the launch pad.
well, actually, I didn't know and still don't know much about it, at all....but find it all interesting...

Can Mars actually sustain human life?

I have so so many questions, but do find this really worth discussing.

Thanks so much for your input.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,885,696 times
It's 2015, we're supposed to have a Mars colony by now. That's what I was told in the 1950's. Get with it people.

That woman will be 187 by the time they get the funding for a Mars mission. Anyway I would go. Just for the opportunity to step on another planet.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
It's 2015, we're supposed to have a Mars colony by now. That's what I was told in the 1950's. Get with it people.

That woman will be 187 by the time they get the funding for a Mars mission. Anyway I would go. Just for the opportunity to step on another planet.
yes, but and I apologize, but would Mars be able to sustain human life?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Anyway I would go. Just for the opportunity to step on another planet.
You can have my seat.

Mars:

Earth:

Any questions?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:04 AM

613 posts, read 464,076 times
Hopefully he can actually pull this off. lol I love the idea of this, but Mars is so uninteresting to me. It's like one massive desert. Boo. Plus it has such a thin atmosphere, but I'm sure the guy has already prepared for that.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,715,753 times
Quote:
yes, but and I apologize, but would Mars be able to sustain human life?
Per the existing science, Mars cannot outright sustain human life. As in, you can't land in your spaceship, open the door and go live there. Mars however does have abundant resources, including frozen water. A habitat could be constructed that would allow humans to live on Mars for extended periods of time using local resources to generate oxygen, water, power and food.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:24 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,004,884 times
Quote:
well, actually, I didn't know and still don't know much about it, at all....but find it all interesting...

Can Mars actually sustain human life?

I have so so many questions, but do find this really worth discussing.

Thanks so much for your input.
I think that with a lot of work Mars maybe able to support human life, but it will not be an easy task. First of all, Mars has no magnetosphere to speak of, this means that Mars is always being bombarded by high energy particles from the Sun. Lets say they terraform Mars, the problem is how do you keep an atmosphere in tact when the solar winds are trying to strip it away. So in essence, life on Mars would have to be moved underground, a Sunday afternoon walk on the surface would be suicide unless you had your 5 million dollar suit on.
As a kid I thought going to Mars would be cool, now days, well, I can go to the high deserts here in Oregon and get almost the same experience and it's a lot safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events