Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:34 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I think that with a lot of work Mars maybe able to support human life, but it will not be an easy task. First of all, Mars has no magnetosphere to speak of, this means that Mars is always being bombarded by high energy particles from the Sun. Lets say they terraform Mars, the problem is how do you keep an atmosphere in tact when the solar winds are trying to strip it away. So in essence, life on Mars would have to be moved underground, a Sunday afternoon walk on the surface would be suicide unless you had your 5 million dollar suit on.
As a kid I thought going to Mars would be cool, now days, well, I can go to the high deserts here in Oregon and get almost the same experience and it's a lot safer.
Thank you for that....
this has never been an interest, I don't know much about planets, and such, so, thank you for the interesting read.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
There's the Mars mission paradox -- the logistical hurdles and cost of a "round trip" mission to Mars are so enormous that you would never plan your first manned mission there as a round trip. Round trip is 10 times as complicated. No way. But the social hurdles of a "one way" mission to Mars are such that the public would never support such a "suicide" trip. Therefore you'll never go to Mars.

There are various ways around it. One of them is to just lie about it.

I heard this topic on Diane Riehm last week. It was something like first person walking on the planet by 2027, with a colony of 20,000 people within 50 years.

Mars is a dreadfully boring planet, and incredibly hostile to Earth life (though it pales in comparison to Venus in that regard). Terraforming Mars and its atmosphere would take centuries, and it may not ever really be possible for Mars to maintain a thick atmosphere.

Titan is a much more interesting prospect, but getting a person to Titan alive is about 100 times more complicated than getting one to Mars. Space is big, really big, even interplanetary space, and we're cursed with a collection of planets (other than Earth) that really aren't very interesting and certainly not from a colonization standpoint.

I've been to Mars in the Oculus Rift DK2 (on a brand new state of the art $3000 gaming computer with a nine cubic foot case and liquid cooled dual video cards). I walked around on its surface for a while. I knelt to look at its rocks. I peered at its mountains. I watched its sunset. That's about all I need, personally.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:08 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, but and I apologize, but would Mars be able to sustain human life?
I don't think so. The "colonists" would need to bring everything with them, enough to last a LONG time, and without steady resupply...sayanora. The ship would need to be massive. Probably my have to build it in orbit. No wah we have the propulsion tech to get it off the ground. It would have to carry all the things needed to establish a base, that's a lot, then four people are going to put it all together?

I think its a wild dream. Establishing a Mars colony, will take the effort of the whole world, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:09 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
The painful fact that millions of Americans cannot discern "pop" science from "hard" science is a root cause of so many of the discontents, disappointments and unrealistic expectations encountered at this forum every day.

In a society which truly fosters and respects serious learning, the myths would be dispelled in the nation's classrooms; but the NEA's alliance with the "global warming" crowd,, and similar peddlers of myth, make this impossible.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-04-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-04-2015, 10:11 AM

33,223 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, but and I apologize, but would Mars be able to sustain human life?
Not without artificial life support systems. The atmospheric pressure of Mars is about 100 times less than that of Earth's and is about 95 percent carbon monoxide with only 0.13 percent oxygen. You would need a pressure suit to walk around on the surface.

Mars' Atmosphere: Composition, Climate & Weather

Also, the gravity on Mars is only about 38 percent that of Earth's which may or may not be enough in terms of maintaining bone and muscle strength over the long term.

How Strong is the Gravity on Mars?

We will eventually have a manned mission to Mars, but I doubt if the Mar's One organization will be the one to do it. NASA is working toward the goal of sending a man to Mars (round trip).

Old 08-04-2015, 10:26 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times
Mars is essentially uninhabitable. You could build a colony there but it would need to be heavily supported by technology. Mars is freezing at its hottest time of day and dips to arctic temperatures at night. Fun fact for those who believe that CO2 causes global warming - the martian atmosphere is 95 percent CO2.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:31 AM

563 posts, read 523,953 times
I will take a pass. But it is a good idea! Now if we could just get another billion or so to go. Love the "One Way" aspect of the plan!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:42 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,221,390 times
Gotta start somewhere. I know a few guys who would love to send their wives on a one way trip to mars.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Fun fact for those who believe that CO2 causes global warming - the martian atmosphere is 95 percent CO2.
Well yah, but 95 percent of not much is not much. The "greenhouse effect" is essential for life on Earth. Venus is 96.5% CO2 but its atmospheric pressure is 80 to 100 times that of Earth's. It's all relative. Venus exhibits a "runaway greenhouse effect." Earth will eventually look a lot like Venus, as all of our water becomes clouds.
-----------------------
Speaking of pop science, get set for "The Martian" this October, starring Matt "I'll have to science the **** out of it" Damon.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:47 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Mars is essentially uninhabitable. You could build a colony there but it would need to be heavily supported by technology. Mars is freezing at its hottest time of day and dips to arctic temperatures at night. Fun fact for those who believe that CO2 causes global warming - the martian atmosphere is 95 percent CO2.
Fun facts for those who didn't stop taking science classes after the 8th grade and haven't fail to comprehend everything they've ever read about global warming:

*The sun causes planets to warm - atmospheres merely retain that warmth
*The Martian atmosphere is less than 1% as dense as that of Earth
*Due to the inverse-square law, a square meter on Mars receives only 45% as much solar energy as a square meter on Earth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events