Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 02:48 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes. And I think that was precisely the point the son was trying to make when he told the woman she was going to die soon. Some posters have taken that as a disparaging, disrespectful comment, but I don't think he meant it as such. I think the son was genuinely questioning why anyone, let alone someone who's lived enough of life to have learned what really matters, would choose to become upset over something so insignificant. So innocuous.

We could all choose to become upset over LOTS of things we see and/or hear in public, but we have to learn to "pick our battles." Unfortunately, some people never learn to do that. Some people want to control everything and everyone around them, and when they can't, they throw hissy fits. Life IS WAY too short to get upset over stupid sh*t.
I think you are right. It amazes me that some people get old and never seem to learn.

LOL, I had a great-aunt who was 91 years old and in a nursing home. My oldest sister is in an interracial marriage and has a biracial daughter. My mother was watching another niece, who is white, daughter of another sister. She took her to visit Aunt Anna in the nursing home, and she introduced her, saying this is my granddaughter. Aunt Anna's response was, "Don't you have a black granddaughter, too?" 91 and that's all you can think of to say. No, she didn't have dementia. This is how she was her whole life.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:33 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Are you sure she didn't have Dementia? I mean if she had to ask that question, it makes me wonder.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Are you sure she didn't have Dementia? I mean if she had to ask that question, it makes me wonder.
And this question should be asked and taken into consideration with the woman in the video.

She very well may have been the only white person in the Koreatown IHOP. So you would have to be a little "off" to make a bold statement like that.

If this happened out in say Ventura or Riverside, CA. where she wasn't the minority, I would chalk it up to an old cranky person, but in this case I would think she has some issues going on, unless she has a death wish...LOL.

The son and his mother didn't handle it well either, both sides were wrong, but if the woman has dementia she should be pitied. Because making a statement like that, in that part of LA, isn't too smart.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:24 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In France, I was criticized for using English when trying to get assistance with the subway.

I didn't cry about it; I just felt it was rude.

I was there for work for a week and took an extra week of vacation; therefore, learning French wouldn't have been a good investment for me.

Now, if I moved to France, I should learn THEIR language and try to assimilate to THEIR culture just as people who move here should do.

If the lady was just visiting or has been here a short time, I won't fault her for not knowing the language. If she's lived here for an extended period, she should learn the language.

Either way, the actions of the other customer were rude.

Newsworthy? NO!
The French are (or were when I was there years ago) extremists when it comes to the French language.
Although I had studied French for two years before I visited Paris (again, years ago), most of the telephone operators were very annoyed with my pronunciation. Yes, they behaved rudely, especially since I put forth a very good effort to converse with them in their language.

Do I think the French had the right to expect you to be able to ask for help in French in a French subway? Yes I do, whether you were there for a week or even just a day. They shouldn't be rude to you, of course, but you were visiting them in their country. Surely you took a long flight that gave you enough time to learn some conversation, even if you had not studied it before.

I don't have a problem when someone's pronunciation is not perfect; however, when someone enter's another person's country, they (and I) should absolutely speak to them in the primary language of the country. in a private conversation with someone else you can use whatever language you both speak.

I would have a very tough time of it if i were ever to take a world's cruise, because I would indeed learn at least 20 words (count to ten, say hello/goodbye, thank you/your welcome, help, and a few more) before I even stepped off the gangplank. (No, I'm not kidding or exaggerating. I just believe in being a good ambassador, not an "ugly American."

I shudder every time I see couples on "Amazing Race" who speak nothing but English to everyone no matter where they go. It is so rude!

At the very least, learn to ask the other person if they speak your language, but ask them in their language!

Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I can tell most Spanish speakers are super excited that I even try to speak in Spanish and then I notice they make an equal effort to speak in English to me.
I found this to be the case in Cozumel. Although my Spanish is far from perfect, that was the language I used when I initiated conversations because it is the native language. Their replies were usually in English, accompanied by a gracious smile.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:26 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
You know, this whole conversation just shows how sadly screwed up people can be.

When I go into another country, I speak their language. Plain and simple.
In America, when I go into a Mexican food restaurant that is staffed with hispanic people, I speak spanish. If they respond in English, then I speak English. If they respond in Spanish, then I use this as an opportunity to practice another language.

If someone does not like that I do that...well....too bad.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:09 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
You know, this whole conversation just shows how sadly screwed up people can be.

When I go into another country, I speak their language. Plain and simple.
In America, when I go into a Mexican food restaurant that is staffed with hispanic people, I speak spanish. If they respond in English, then I speak English. If they respond in Spanish, then I use this as an opportunity to practice another language.

If someone does not like that I do that...well....too bad.
Is it really practical though to know how to speak the language in all cases. Let's say you have an international trip and don't have much time to learn the language.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I found this to be the case in Cozumel. Although my Spanish is far from perfect, that was the language I used when I initiated conversations because it is the native language. Their replies were usually in English, accompanied by a gracious smile.
Cozumel (and Cancun, for that matter) is Gringolandia, not Mexico - of course they had a gracious smile because the entire economy of the area is dependent on monolingual tourism primarily from the US.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:00 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Cozumel (and Cancun, for that matter) is Gringolandia, not Mexico - of course they had a gracious smile because the entire economy of the area is dependent on monolingual tourism primarily from the US.
It is very tourist-oriented, but the locals are in no danger of losing their traditional culture to los gueros.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I was in a restaurant last night and heard two tables of people speaking Spanish. All I could think of was how amazingly brazen and rude someone would have to be to walk up to the table and berate the people for speaking Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events