Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 10:44 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed how half the posters who profess such an undying love for the English language can't manage to crank out a grammatically correct paragraph in English? If they've even heard of an indirect object, they can't begin to identify one. And if you asked them to point out the conjunction in a sentence, they'd have to quickly google 'what is a conjunction?' first in order to pretend that they knew what one was all along.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Personally, I think immigrants should learn English. But I think so for their own good, not because my fragile feelings get hurt if I'm within earshot of a private conversation spoken in another language. In a similar vein, if native speakers of English are too lazy and/or stupid to learn the proper usage of their mother tongue, it's no skin off my nose.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:47 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Personally I think it's rude to speak a foreign language in public. It's just how I was raised. I was also raised in a polyglot home where even today we switch between several languages when we're all together at my parents' house.

If I did that in public growing up, I'd get a sharp rap on the knuckles or a pinch on my upper arm.

To this day I cringe when I hear foreign languages in public...again, upbringing. I don't say anything about it though...unless it's staff saying things in a foreign language that they would get in trouble for saying in English. I've complained to management about waitstaff and busboys making vulgar remarks in Spanish.

They assumed I couldn't understand them. They were wrong.
Really, who told you this? How can anyone possibly think it is rude to speak a language among themselves? So, two guys from India are over here on vacation, they are suppose to somehow manage to speak English instead of their own language? Do you speak the local language when you travel to another country? DO you even travel outside of the US?

If a family living in the US has a non-native English language; how is it rude for them to speak among each other in that language? What about a relative visiting them from another country, are they just suppose to speak English and not worry if the relative understands them?

I was taught it was rude to butt into other people's private conversations...

Old 08-06-2015, 10:52 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Has anyone else noticed how half the posters who profess such an undying love for the English language can't manage to crank out a grammatically correct paragraph in English? If they've even heard of an indirect object, they can't begin to identify one. And if you asked them to point out the conjunction in a sentence, they'd have to quickly google 'what is a conjunction?' first in order to pretend that they knew what one was all along.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Personally, I think immigrants should learn English. But I think so for their own good, not because my fragile feelings get hurt if I'm within earshot of a private conversation spoken in another language. In a similar vein, if native speakers of English are too lazy and/or stupid to learn the proper usage of their mother tongue, it's no skin off my nose.
Pardon me sir or madam but I am posting from my yacht and there are a lot of distractions. Perhaps later I can post from my ranch where I can enjoy some momentary solitude. I'll have to see when the helicopter can pick me up. Also my editor is taking a sabbatical and the interim editor was hired more for her looks(and ability to hold her liquor, truth be told) than her abilities.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I don't understand all the people insisting on the mantra "they are immigrant then they should learn the language (which she did)".
The Latina woman spoke English, she just spoke her mother tongue in private, what's the matter with all people?
Are suddenly the US a nation of eavesdroppers?
In private I can speak whatever I want, until it doesn't regard you.
Suddenly? The US is full of eavesdroppers (not saying no other country is not either), from worrying about some trivial garbage to make an issue out of, to what language you are speaking, to if you have out-of-state tags on your car, to if your tool shed you put up has a permit, to if your flowers you planted are HOA compliant, the US is full of people who just love getting into your business, and many laws/regs are set up to allow people to do so and feel great/justified by doing it.

It is no surprise why many people have a duel within themselves regarding the love of city living, but the love of living on their own 5 acres out from everything to get away from the nosy, in your business crowd.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:56 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Really, who told you this? How can anyone possibly think it is rude to speak a language among themselves? So, two guys from India are over here on vacation, they are suppose to somehow manage to speak English instead of their own language? Do you speak the local language when you travel to another country? DO you even travel outside of the US?

If a family living in the US has a non-native English language; how is it rude for them to speak among each other in that language? What about a relative visiting them from another country, are they just suppose to speak English and not worry if the relative understands them?

Re: the bolded part- that's never been a problem to me. What I do feel is wrong is when there's a group of people and some begin speaking a different language only because they either know or believe the other people present do not understand it.

I also think people who are relatively new to the U.S. should have some degree of leeway- but that's not the same as individuals who have been here for generations.
From my side of it: I've always been o.k. speaking Spanish to individuals who do not know English, but certainly wouldn't do it for the sake of individuals who grew up in the United States.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Who cares?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Did you miss the second sentence in my post? The entire first paragraph? Did you even read what I wrote, or did you just react to the first sentence?

Not only have I traveled outside of the US, I have LIVED outside of the US. I speak five languages, pal. Five.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:26 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Spain is where Spanish originated, duh.
Then i guess we should all move back to the UK?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:26 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Has anyone noticed how most Spanish-speakers are ridiculously LOUD? Dude, you can hear em across the room, almost like they have no vocal chord control. hahaha Im being serious, too. Most of them do talk very loud, and that can get annoying. Maybe thats what set the lady off? Who knows. But the lady doing the yelling has the IQ of a shoelace. How embarrassing.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Did you miss the second sentence in my post? The entire first paragraph? Did you even read what I wrote, or did you just react to the first sentence?

Not only have I traveled outside of the US, I have LIVED outside of the US. I speak five languages, pal. Five.
Your first sentence was "Personally I think it's rude to speak a foreign language in public."; that is what I was responding to, that is why I put it in bold.

I read what you wrote, that is why I responded.

No where in your post did you state you have ever traveled and lived outside the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events