Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 07:15 PM

337 posts, read 405,791 times

Advertisements

Wow should be require all Americans who travel and live overseas to completely stop speaking English and only converse in the language of the country while abroad?

Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I agree, but why this comment........."Do you want the Russians over here telling you what to do? Do you want the Nazis telling you what to do?"

I find this very strange coming from an American woman Does CA have a Nazi problem?
Clearly this old racist bruja bat has dementia and now has no filters to hide her racism. Nazis, Castro, Russians? WTF. She has reverted to her (in)glorious past. The young man was right, she clearly IS going to die soon. Not soon enough. (Perhaps he was telling her that in hopes that she would consider how ungodly her rant was. You're going to die soon (because you are old) - why would you say such regrettable things?) Hope if she is "Christian", or whatever other religion, that she finds that her "God" speaks Spanish and every other language EXCEPT English. Oh, wait, with vitriolic hatred such as that she wouldn't be meeting her "God" would she? LOL.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:24 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Wow should be require all Americans who travel and live overseas to completely stop speaking English and only converse in the language of the country while abroad?
No, there is a time and place for everything including how loud one speaks a language around others.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:26 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, there is a time and place for everything including how loud one speaks a language around others.
So you're admitting that it's acceptable for Americans to speak English to each other while in a foreign country?

Old 08-06-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I guess you have never been overseas. Americans along with Brits tend to be the loudest and most obnoxious tourists out there.

And I've seen them instead demand the locals to speak English and get angry and abusive if they don't.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:38 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
The only way it's rude to speak a foreign language when out in public is if one amongst your group does NOT speak that language as well. Otherwise it's rude to impose yourself in someone else's business and conversation when you're not one of their party.

I'm a born and raised American, parents immigrated to the U.S. when they were young. We all speak English. But if we go out to dinner then, yeah, we will speak our language if we so choose to. Better to avoid nosy eavesdroppers. For someone at the next table to butt in and tell us to speak English because we're in America....? She's getting a plate to the face and her ass chewed out in two or three languages - including English. Classless swine.

Bravo!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:39 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Personally I think it's rude to speak a foreign language in public. It's just how I was raised. I was also raised in a polyglot home where even today we switch between several languages when we're all together at my parents' house.

If I did that in public growing up, I'd get a sharp rap on the knuckles or a pinch on my upper arm.

To this day I cringe when I hear foreign languages in public...again, upbringing. I don't say anything about it though...unless it's staff saying things in a foreign language that they would get in trouble for saying in English. I've complained to management about waitstaff and busboys making vulgar remarks in Spanish.

They assumed I couldn't understand them. They were wrong.
I know exactly how you feel. It kind of burns me when I go to Tahlequah and the old folks are at the town square speaking Cherokee. This is America, if they want to speak Cherokee in public let him go back where they came from!

Well thanks to Trumps fanning the flames of hate for anyone of Spanish descent or speaking the Spanish language, this was inevitable.

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Karma being what it is "Miss. Anne" will likely end her days in a care home staffed by nurses, aides and others who speak Patois, Tagalog, Spanish, Niger-Congo and a few other languages. They will speak among themselves in *their* language as they go about their work largely ignoring the woman and or her rants about English speaking.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Being multilingual shows a higher level of intellect.

I bet this hag cannot speak anything else and even her English must be atrocious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events