Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 12:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, but it helps when you state something so ridiculous as you did. Since you have traveled and lived outside the US, did you become fluent in every language of every country you traveled to? I guess that would depend on how many countries you traveled to, but to expect someone, or a family, to obtain proficiency in a language of a country they are visiting for a few days or a few weeks is ridiculous. For some traveling through Europe, that would be a lot of language to learn.
You missed the part about a "polyglot" home. Please look up the definition of the word "polyglot." I already spoke languages like German, French, Polish, etc. when I lived in countries that spoke those languages. I may have sounded a little funny to people there, but I didn't have much trouble making myself understood or understanding those around me. Slang was a little tricky at first.

You're also assuming that I expect someone to become proficient in another language in a short space of time. You're putting words in my mouth; I said no such thing. Perhaps someone else here did and you're confusing me with them in your angry state. I do not expect people to become fluent in a country's language prior to traveling there. I DO expect them to make the effort to learn a few key phrases in that language, the most important of which is: "I don't speak X, do you speak English?" Then learn the words for "yes" and "no." If someone says "no," move on to the next stranger. If someone says "yes," proceed in English. Simple.

Quote:
Either way, your comment is ridiculous, it is not rude at all to speak a foreign language when out in public, I have no idea where you even come up with that. But I guess anyone can come up with something they believe is "rude", even drinking water from a bottle while walking.
That's your opinion. Mine is different. Life goes on.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:51 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You missed the part about a "polyglot" home. Please look up the definition of the word "polyglot." I already spoke languages like German, French, Polish, etc. when I lived in countries that spoke those languages. I may have sounded a little funny to people there, but I didn't have much trouble making myself understood or understanding those around me. Slang was a little tricky at first.

You're also assuming that I expect someone to become proficient in another language in a short space of time. You're putting words in my mouth; I said no such thing. Perhaps someone else here did and you're confusing me with them in your angry state. I do not expect people to become fluent in a country's language prior to traveling there. I DO expect them to make the effort to learn a few key phrases in that language, the most important of which is: "I don't speak X, do you speak English?" Then learn the words for "yes" and "no." If someone says "no," move on to the next stranger. If someone says "yes," proceed in English. Simple.

That's your opinion. Mine is different. Life goes on.
And does all of your commentary have anything to do with OP to which I believe you responded? If yes, how?

Old 08-06-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
And does all of your commentary have anything to do with OP to which I believe you responded? If yes, how?
The first post did. The rest of it was me defending myself when another poster attacked what I wrote. Sometimes (even at my age) I still forget what a pointless waste of time that is.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:56 PM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
The only way it's rude to speak a foreign language when out in public is if one amongst your group does NOT speak that language as well. Otherwise it's rude to impose yourself in someone else's business and conversation when you're not one of their party.

I'm a born and raised American, parents immigrated to the U.S. when they were young. We all speak English. But if we go out to dinner then, yeah, we will speak our language if we so choose to. Better to avoid nosy eavesdroppers. For someone at the next table to butt in and tell us to speak English because we're in America....? She's getting a plate to the face and her ass chewed out in two or three languages - including English. Classless swine.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Some of you people should never visit New York City. You will have a heart attack.

I work next to the World Trade Center. Go for a stroll any day at lunchtime on the 9/11 Memorial Plaza or eat at one of the local food places. You will hear many languages being spoken. Since people from 90 countries died on that American site, it's appropriate that the world comes together there to pay their respects, in whatever language they might speak.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I love languages and am always working on learning more.

I was in a waiting room and was in a conversation in Spanish with another person--they were asking how long I'd been studying it, etc. when a man made a nasty comment about "going back where you came from--we speak English here."

I looked at the guy and asked him in English--"are you jealous because you can only speak English, or ashamed that you aren't bright enough to learn another language?"

Apparently I was supposed to have just been shamed--he was shocked that I even spoke to him. He had no answer of course.

Trauma and shame are yours only if you accept them. I would have loved to have been with that family in the restaurant. The video would have turned out very different.
Good story. Reminds me of one I know. An American acquaintance of mine was working in Japan on a multi-year assignment. He got on a bus in Tokyo with another American and they were chatting with each other in English. As he put his money in the till, the Japanese bus driver muttered an insulting comment about non-Japanese people sullying his bus. Of course, it turns out this guy speaks Japanese and he understood what the driver had said. He replied in Japanese, "Sir, do you have a problem with visitors from other countries spending money on your bus?" Needless to say, this got no answer.

But that poses a question to me. How does the "we speak only English in America" crowd feel about that story? Would they be offended if they were told they were not allowed to speak English to other Americans in another country they were visiting?

Old 08-06-2015, 02:02 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
This kind of ignorance is repulsive ... the old lady should mind her own business. What language a person speaks among their family is a private matter.

My views on language are simple: English may be the predominant language but we have large populations of people who may speak other languages and that should be respected. I believe bilingualism should be strongly encouraged although I don't think English should be imposed. I support English and Spanish as co-official languages at the federal level. States can do whatever they want; Hawaii has English and Hawaiian, Puerto Rico has English and Spanish (and has since 1901 - long before English became legally official anywhere on the mainland), the Northern Mariana Islands have English, Carolinian, and Chamorran.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Polyglot does not mean you have lived nor traveled to any other countries.

[/quote]You're also assuming that I expect someone to become proficient in another language in a short space of time. You're putting words in my mouth; I said no such thing. Perhaps someone else here did and you're confusing me with them in your angry state. I do not expect people to become fluent in a country's language prior to traveling there. I DO expect them to make the effort to learn a few key phrases in that language, the most important of which is: "I don't speak X, do you speak English?" Then learn the words for "yes" and "no." If someone says "no," move on to the next stranger. If someone says "yes," proceed in English. Simple.[/quote]

You stated it is "rude" to speak a foreign language in public, so tell me, exactly what language is someone suppose to speak if they do not know the host country language? Just be silent the whole time? Say little phrases from a book to each other? Or are they just need to accept the fact they are being rude?

If you do not expect people to become fluent in a country's language prior to traveling there, then you cannot accuse them of being rude for speaking a foreign language while there. So which one is it; are they rude for not learning and speaking the language? Or not?

Old 08-06-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You stated it is "rude" to speak a foreign language in public, so tell me, exactly what language is someone suppose to speak if they do not know the host country language? Just be silent the whole time? Say little phrases from a book to each other? Or are they just need to accept the fact they are being rude?

If you do not expect people to become fluent in a country's language prior to traveling there, then you cannot accuse them of being rude for speaking a foreign language while there. So which one is it; are they rude for not learning and speaking the language? Or not?
Dallas isn't exactly a tourist magnet. In the suburbs if you're sitting next to a table full of people speaking Spanish, Arabic, or Telugu...the odds are excellent that they are NOT tourists.

People who live in touristy areas can spot a tourist in a split second. I didn't think tourists were rude for speaking their native languages in public. People who live here full-time, though? Different rules.

Don't argue. It's just an opinion. It's different from yours. Get over it.

ETA:

And for the record, I've never "called out" anyone for speaking any language in public. I have busted Spanish-speakers who gossiped about me in front of me in public places by tossing out a snotty remark in Spanish at them, but that's all.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:20 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
"These people"? Did the woman in the article say that she expected anyone to know Spanish? She was talking to her family over some pancakes.
i think pancakes need to be banned...remember the maine lady getting all mad over them too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events