Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, she is just like so many of her kind, grasping for a time in America when things were different; that is "her" kind were on top. Between legalized gay marriage/equality, declining white population and rise of Hispanic/Latino demographic that woman must be ready to bust a gut. The world she knew is slipping away and there isn't anything to be done that can bring it back.
What utter nonsense! Whites are still the majority in this country and like it or not English will still remain our national language. Her kind? What kind is that? Now you go on to gay marriage, etc. How do you know how that elderly lady felt about the other issues in this country? Assume, much? The rise of the Hispanic demographic is mostly due to illegal immigration and that is why we are hearing so much Spanish these days. Changing demographics by illegal immigration is something we should embrace and not complain about? What part of illegal don't you get? If anything is slipping away it certainly isn't through lawful or natural means.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yet, you go to their countries and you see a bunch of fat American expats who don't talk to anyone except other Americans and never learn the language of the country they're in.

Don't give me that crap about "never learning the language".

Also, people who say that anyone needs to learn English in the US is a communist piece of trash. We're a free country and free to speak whatever we want.
That woman is just a crazy old bat. She's talking about freedom of speech but then is crying that they need to speak English? What a freakin loon.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:50 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, I live in Mexifornia. I rest my case.
You've just said all you need to say to tell us why you have your viewpoint.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
If you do not pay me- do not try to control what I do- or not do -as long as I am in the boundaries of the law- I am grown and can decide for myself what is prudent and what is not, and maybe we wont agree on the details. In this country -we are free- Do NOT encroach on my freedom-
Part of that freedom is being able to tell someone that you don't like what they are doing or saying also. Freedom of speech is a two way street, you know.

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-06-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
So explain me, why should she berate someone for speaking Spanish and ask her to speak English when she could just ask her to speak more calmly?
Oldglory is desperately trying to assert that the old lady interfered with the private matters of that Latino family because the mother was too loud but there's not a single point where she says so, on the contrary the problem with the old lady is that she speaks Spanish.
There was no rudeness from the Spanish speaking family but only from the old English-speaking lady.
I cannot speak for the lady on the video. I'm not her. I can only tell you how I feel when it happens to me. It is merely your opinion who was being rude and who wasn't.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:55 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
Speaking Amish is fine because they are white. It's ok to speak white languages. Here's the ok ones: German, English, and all the weird ones like Irish, Norwegian, Dutch (From Denmark), Norwegian, Polish, Jewish, Chekesloavakia and others. Russian is not really ok but acceptable because Russians are kind of scary and Russian strippers are HOT. French is NOT ok either even though they are kind of white (dark hair) because they are anti American. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about French names like St. Louis and New Orleans. We just have to live with this most dark part of american linguistic history.

Bad languages are: Ebonics, Spanish, Spanglish, Somalian, African, Arabic, North Korean and Paki

Undecided: Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, Indian, Punjabic, Hindu. PROBABLY ok but also ok to do the 'ching chong' behind their back because they are annoying (good at math, good food but TOO SPICY)

If you keep these rules in mind you will never have to deal with any language based humiliating youtube incidents

LOL. Nailed it.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsettomati View Post
what's rude - not to mention remarkably self-absorbed - is expecting others having a conversation that doesn't involve or concern you to cater to your sad need not to hear a non-english language.

Well, you might expect that a country with immigrants also will inevitably and unfortunately have hysterical nativists who can't handle that fact.

Here in the real world, the united states is hardly being 'overwhelmed'. Spanish is no more prevalent in the united states in 2015 than was german in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Contrary to the "in the good old days, our wonderful white immigrant ancestors from europe immediately learned english when they arrived!" spiel, the german language was quite ingrained here in the united states.

in rural wisconsin, german reigned for decades : Npr

in 1900, there were over 200,000 public school students in the united states receiving their curriculum in german.

german americans - history, modern era, the first germans in america

it's too bad the nativists and the xenophobes are so ignorant of american history.

bravo!

Old 08-06-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
They were having a conversation with each other, their family, in Spanish and an ignorant, bigoted, old white lady felt it was offensive that they were speaking to each other in their native language. It is not rude to talk to people you know in the language they know best. It IS rude to interrupt people you don't know to insult them and tell them how to speak.

This shouldn't have to be explained to you, no matter how "old" you are.
BRAVO!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
How about some of us don't care. Most of us don't have a need to spend time learning what we will not use. If we did, I believe most of us are smart enough to take the step to learn one.
Exactly, if you don't use it you lose it. Most Americans have no need to learn a foreign language as most jobs don't require you know a foreign language. The only language being pushed in this country is Spanish and that's because so many Hispanics demand to be pandered to in Spanish and many of them are here illegally. No thanks! It's not about Americans being too stupid to learn another language is it just that in most cases it is a waste of time. Wasting one's time is smart?

Old 08-06-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You've just said all you need to say to tell us why you have your viewpoint.
We have 5 million illegal aliens alone in this country and mostly from Mexico. Thus my remark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events