Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 04:29 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have never heard anyone talk on their cell phone while flying. Even when the plane has landed they talk in a soft tone on their cell phone, not yelling loudly.
lucky- keep flying it happens just like crying babies

Old 08-06-2015, 04:32 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
lucky- keep flying it happens just like crying babies
Babies can't help themselves but adults can. Babies can't be called rude for crying it's what babies do but adults know what rudeness is.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Again, it's not about our laws but rudeness.
Then she should have asked the lady to TONE it down -that is ALL- yes? if not rude now goes on her court--
I seen this happen in Home depot -stupid ol man came and did the same thing - the worker was talking to a shopper looking for something and the OLE man told him to speak English this is America!! The employee was a Latin P Rican 20 yr VET-(wounded) but working at depot- - was not nice.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:35 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Quote:
Babies can't help themselves but adults can. Babies can't be called rude for crying it's what babies do but adults know what rudeness is.
Actually, it has been my experience that some (many) adults have no idea what rude behavior is -- either that, or they just don't care if they are being rude.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:40 PM

If you do not pay me- do not try to control what I do- or not do -as long as I am in the boundaries of the law- I am grown and can decide for myself what is prudent and what is not, and maybe we wont agree on the details. In this country -we are free- Do NOT encroach on my freedom-

Old 08-06-2015, 04:41 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,349 times
So explain me, why should she berate someone for speaking Spanish and ask her to speak English when she could just ask her to speak more calmly?
Oldglory is desperately trying to assert that the old lady interfered with the private matters of that Latino family because the mother was too loud but there's not a single point where she says so, on the contrary the problem with the old lady is that she speaks Spanish.
There was no rudeness from the Spanish speaking family but only from the old English-speaking lady.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:47 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Actually, it has been my experience that some (many) adults have no idea what rude behavior is -- either that, or they just don't care if they are being rude.
Don't give me that. Adults especially the white woman in question know exactly the parameters of being rude. Miss. Anne would *NEVER* speak to any of her peers or someone she considered an equal that way. However she felt safe in running her mouth to a Latina the same as she would an African American or anyone else she deemed beneath her social class.

Persons are taught either by their parents/family or the street that voicing your unsolicited and unwanted opinions is rude and wrong. Personally think the "street" sometimes does a better job getting the message through. Nothing like a good old fashioned beat down to reinforce a message.

If that Latina woman and or her family stood their ground Miss. Anne would have either shut up or tried to call support from "her" kind at the restaurant. Am guessing numbers for the latter would have been small so she would have left with her tail between her legs.

There are plenty of Mr. Charlies and Miss. Annes all over the USA; however the smart ones know this isn't the 1950's or even the 1970's and keep their comments to themselves.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:57 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
English is by far the most simple western language. To be honest I think most Americans are too stupid to learn a second language.
How about some of us don't care. Most of us don't have a need to spend time learning what we will not use. If we did, I believe most of us are smart enough to take the step to learn one.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:59 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't give me that. Adults especially the white woman in question know exactly the parameters of being rude. Miss. Anne would *NEVER* speak to any of her peers or someone she considered an equal that way. However she felt safe in running her mouth to a Latina the same as she would an African American or anyone else she deemed beneath her social class.

Persons are taught either by their parents/family or the street that voicing your unsolicited and unwanted opinions is rude and wrong. Personally think the "street" sometimes does a better job getting the message through. Nothing like a good old fashioned beat down to reinforce a message.

If that Latina woman and or her family stood their ground Miss. Anne would have either shut up or tried to call support from "her" kind at the restaurant. Am guessing numbers for the latter would have been small so she would have left with her tail between her legs.

There are plenty of Mr. Charlies and Miss. Annes all over the USA; however the smart ones know this isn't the 1950's or even the 1970's and keep their comments to themselves.
Just for the record, I was speaking about rudeness in general. For example, refer to my previous post #140 on this thread (page 14) in which I was talking about another English-speaking boor who ruined the dinner of at least one other "Anglo" English-speaking family by his loud opinions.

I do agree with your post in general, though. The old woman who is the subject of this thread might very well have thought that her rudeness would be accepted by those she apparently considered to be her "inferiors". Either that, or as I had also suggested, she might be in the beginning stages of dementia. (Please don't misunderstand this last statement, though, because the only possible excuse for her behavior would be if she actually did not have control over what she said. However, I do not think that was the case as she continued to "debate" with the Latina's son.) Bottom line here: Please do not think that I would EVER defend or in any way agree with what the elderly woman said!

Last edited by katharsis; 08-06-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 05:20 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Some times it is easier for a native born (your foreign country) speaking to a family member.

My mother was this way (Hungary) who would on occasion speak that way to me in front of my Irish/German wife and then I would here it at home after we left. She always felt that my mother was saying things about her....NEVER, NEVER.

I understand tidbits of Korea, Japanese (military learned) while today I can get along with Spanish living in Mexico.

Problem with school learning a Language is not being around the people to practice or converse...Spanish being the exception on the west coast.

Compulsory languages in school in my opinion are a waste in most cases....then again that woman would have understood what the people were saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events