Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 10:59 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
When it is spoken loudly out in public rather than quietly and privately and I am surrounded by it day in and day out wherever I go yes I object to it. All I can tell you is with the number of Spanish speakers that do it all the time it is hard to believe that they have all been here a short time, or are visiting relatives. I didn't say that they are all here illegally either. It's more than likely that many are not. When it interfers with other's enjoyment in a restaurant or any other public place it IS my/their business.
I am a native English speaker (who does NOT come from a Hispanic heritage) who speaks Spanish in public frequently. There are some things I can't express the same way in English and if I don't keep my Spanish up, I will lose it. Sometimes I even *stage whisper* speak Spanish at restaurants while catching up with other Spanish speaking friends in order to stay fluent. If I see a cranky old man, I'll be sure to speak up just for you. After all, we all know how those who complain about hearing another language don't like to feel left out of other peoples' private conversations.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:30 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa
The woman interrupts their conversation telling Vasquez: "We speak English in America."
I would have walked over and said "WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO TELL SOMEONE WHAT LANGUAGE TO SPEAK? -- Go sit down or get out of this restaurant!!"

Old 08-07-2015, 12:07 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
OMG!!!1!! You have to HEAR another language!!! You poor, oppressed person!

[/i]
Definitely a first world problem.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:13 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,606,489 times
Why is this story even news? People unfortunately suffer rude encounters with strangers everyday yet they don't make the news. The lady was wrong to interfere in a family's private conversation, but let's be honest--this only went viral because we're in the throes of election season and immigration is a hot button issue right now. This angry lady who would reduce a hardworking, family-oriented woman to tears in public is suppose to represent the camp that cares about language, borders, and culture, see?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:21 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,466 times
Quote:
When it is spoken loudly out in public rather than quietly and privately and I am surrounded by it day in and day out wherever I go yes I object to it. All I can tell you is with the number of Spanish speakers that do it all the time it is hard to believe that they have all been here a short time, or are visiting relatives. I didn't say that they are all here illegally either. It's more than likely that many are not. When it interfers with other's enjoyment in a restaurant or any other public place it IS my/their business.
Are you from California or did you move there?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:27 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,520 times
good.

now only if they would get rid of that stupid message that says "press 1 for english, 2 for spanish" in ALL of these companies' customer service calls. if i could hack the system, i would program it to say "press 1 to speak in english, 2 to learn how to speak english."

Old 08-07-2015, 03:57 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times
Quote:
It is rude to speak loudly in a foreign language if you know English, IMO.
It's rude to speak loudly when engaged in a private conversation.

Spanish speakers elevate their volume level as they increase the tempo of their speech. Yes, it's rude, but it ain't gonna change.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:00 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
Dutch (From Denmark)
Dutch is the official language of the Netherlands, not Denmark.
Denmark's official language is Danish.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,349 times
Quote:
There are no clues whatsoever that they were speaking out loud.
The old lady insulted them because they speak Spanish NOT because they were talking loudly.
This is the main issue, not the loudness, not the being disturbed, it's the fact that they were speaking Spanish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Why is this story even news? People unfortunately suffer rude encounters with strangers everyday yet they don't make the news. The lady was wrong to interfere in a family's private conversation, but let's be honest--this only went viral because we're in the throes of election season and immigration is a hot button issue right now. This angry lady who would reduce a hardworking, family-oriented woman to tears in public is suppose to represent the camp that cares about language, borders, and culture, see?
It's definitely a worrying trend and this advocacy of many Americans that "everybody speaks English also in public" is a definitely intrusion into the individual rights many of you defend so passionately.
It's fun to see that bearing arms is a right many people would die for, but speaking whatever the hell you want is not when regarding the dirty and stupid illegal Latinos.
Obviously the fact that Latinos assimilate faster than all other previous groups and often learn English faster than others is irrelevant and uncalled for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
It's rude to speak loudly when engaged in a private conversation.
Spanish speakers elevate their volume level as they increase the tempo of their speech. Yes, it's rude, but it ain't gonna change.
You'll be amazed to discover that American tourists have the exact same reputation overseas for being loud and obnoxious.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:34 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
^ Given the rather recent influx of illegal immigrants into the U.S., who are usually given free stuff and allowed to stay, and even engage in programs to help them out rather than our government enforcing our immigration laws and deporting people, some Americans are just very angry.

As was said in last night's debate, some of us feel taken advantage of. We are the most generous country when it comes to immigration (both legal and illegal). We accept a million new legal immigrants a year. We give illegals so much and often don't even care that they're here. We could be enforcing laws and deporting people, but we really don't. Not on a scale we should be. We shouldn't be creating laws giving free educations to known illegal inmigrants. But we are, if you're Obama, under certain conditions. Rather than deporting mothers and children we know are illegal clogging up immigration centers, we are placing them in cities and towns all over the U.S. We just are too nice. In many other counties, you can be shot for crossing the border illegally. You can be imprisoned for it. Actually deported! What a concept.

So Americans are, in my experience, getting frustrated. Some even feel we are being taken over. It may not be right to respond by yelling at a Spanish speaker in a restaurant, but we have a serious immigration problem here. Again - Americans are getting pissed off. Can't say I blame my fellow Americans since I am one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events