Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 09:36 AM

299 posts, read 187,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the 'additional' language that you feel that native Mexicans, Nicaraguans, Salvadorans, Colombians, Chileans, Venezuelans, Brazilians, or just about any other Central or South American countries speak outside of tourist areas? And I'm not talking about indigenous languages that are spoken as primary languages by native peoples.
Just wanted to say thank you for spelling it correctly. So many people spell it wrong.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the 'additional' language that you feel that native Mexicans, Nicaraguans, Salvadorans, Colombians, Chileans, Venezuelans, Brazilians, or just about any other Central or South American countries speak outside of tourist areas? And I'm not talking about indigenous languages that are spoken as primary languages by native peoples.
English, obviously. The world's language. Almost everyone with education learns some English these days.

This whole thread is stupid. There is no official language in the U.S. Even if there were, there is nothing wrong with publicly speaking another language. If you visit France and speak English to your spouse on the street or in a restaurant, you obviously shouldn't be berated by idiot Frenchies. Same goes for the U.S. If you're talking Spanish in a Dennys, some idiot American should just shut up if they don't like it.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Nonsense! Bystanders should have no investment in your conversation.

Don in Austin
I agree. The video showed a casual conversation between fluent Spanish speakers. There was no expectation that bystanders would be involved; therefore, the woman's offense was completely unwarranted. She was a busybody with an ax to grind.

I think it is natural to be curious about someone speaking in another language. When we lived on the west coast and would go to the city, my husband and I would often play a game to see how many different languages we could identify in a set amount of time. We had a lot of fun with it.

Why anyone would tie themselves in knots over hearing a foreign language is beyond me. The mother and son in the video did absolutely nothing to earn the older woman's ire. She was completely out of line.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:45 AM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I never said I agreed with yelling at the lady.

Some of you lack reading comprehension skills. I was simply sharing my opinion as to why I think she did it.

No need to get so rude and accusatory. YOU have no manners.
No, but you're excusing bad and insulting behavior.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, I live in Mexifornia. I rest my case.
Indeed, you've said it all right there.

Over 70% of those of Mexican descent in California are either American citizens (by birth or naturalization) or are non-citizens in the U.S. legally. And yet you use 'Mexifornia' as a perjorative, thereby conceding that your issue is not one of immigration status but a racist dislike of all Mexicans - and I suspect that you use 'Mexican' as shorthand for 'any brown person from Latin America'.

I have no doubt that a hearing any non-English language ruffles your nativist feathers, but I also doubt that you get anywhere near as bent when you hear Navajo or Amish or German spoken. The roots of your animus are abundantly clear.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:52 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I have walked into a McDonalds in San Jose CA and had to literally point to the plastic menu on the counter to order because the counter person was not fluent in english enough to complete the order. So no, it's not an exaggeration at all.
I'm sure many on here have had similar experiences over the years.
Sure you have.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I have walked into a McDonalds in San Jose CA and had to literally point to the plastic menu on the counter to order because the counter person was not fluent in english enough to complete the order. So no, it's not an exaggeration at all.
I'm sure many on here have had similar experiences over the years.

I've lived in the SF Bay area for many years, know San Jose pretty well, lived in LA for many more years, have traveled the farming corridor in between the two areas, frequented the fast food joints off I5 and HY101, and have never encountered any counter person who was unable to speak English to complete my order.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:03 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
I never said I agreed with yelling at the lady.

Some of you lack reading comprehension skills. I was simply sharing my opinion as to why I think she did it.

No need to get so rude and accusatory. YOU have no manners.
Or the lady was simply acting out her racist tendencies.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:06 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I've lived in the SF Bay area for many years, know San Jose pretty well, lived in LA for many more years, have traveled the farming corridor in between the two areas, frequented the fast food joints off I5 and HY101, and have never encountered any counter person who was unable to speak English to complete my order.
It's the special McDonalds in San Jose that only the xenophones go to so they can have anecdotes to put onto message boards.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:07 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Sounds like something a certain person on here would do.
I think there are a lot of posters that fall under that category here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Indeed, you've said it all right there.

Over 70% of those of Mexican descent in California are either American citizens (by birth or naturalization) or are non-citizens in the U.S. legally. And yet you use 'Mexifornia' as a perjorative, thereby conceding that your issue is not one of immigration status but a racist dislike of all Mexicans - and I suspect that you use 'Mexican' as shorthand for 'any brown person from Latin America'.

I have no doubt that a hearing any non-English language ruffles your nativist feathers, but I also doubt that you get anywhere near as bent when you hear Navajo or Amish or German spoken. The roots of your animus are abundantly clear.
This pretty much it. Exposed that poster.

Quote:
No, it's just my opinion. To me it makes sense.

So in your opinion, you don't see a problem with what this woman did? And how it's offensive? And immature? And doesn't help or change anything?

If you're frustrated with something, it's okay to publicly berate someone who doesn't have anything to do with your frustrations, but just so happens to look like the people you have a problem with? Yeah, that makes sense.

Classy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events