Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Lowe's should have said "We Reserve The Right To Refuse Service To Anyone. "
Except you CAN'T refuse service to anyone anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:12 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,164,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
To look at it another way... if they were warned this customer was racist, maybe they were protecting the black delivery drivers' safety by sending someone else.

Indeed.

Also, if the manager had dispatched the black driver to the racist customer's home, a hostile-workplace lawsuit would probably have been the result.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:12 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Indeed.

Also, if the manager had dispatched the black driver to the racist customer's home, a hostile-workplace lawsuit would probably have been the result.
You clearly don't understand the meaning of a "hostile workplace". Go ahead and read up on it and think about what you just posted.

You're confusing a hostile workplace and an occupational hazard.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You are aware he never went to the house right? He was rerouted and the job was given to another driver so the only thing he faced was the manager letting him know about the stupid lady and why he was rerouted.
So you don't think he personally felt any humiliation at all at being told somebody did not want a black person in her house? Again--he is a human being.

Would it be ok if the old bag said she didn't want a Jew, or an Asian, or an Indian or anyone else making the delivery? Next time she should just request a Klan member make her delivery. Really--this is the 21st century. And people think nobody is anti-Obama just because he's black?

"Although Bradley is saddened by the way he says the situation was handled, he plans to still be at work tomorrow. "I mean I gotta work. I'm going to keep going to work like I've always done. But I would think Lowe's would take it into consideration to think about what they're doing next time," said Bradley."

Lowe's Delivery Driver Says Store Halted a Delivery Because He's - WSET.com - ABC13

Old 08-14-2015, 06:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So you don't think he personally felt any humiliation at all at being told somebody did not want a black person in her house? Again--he is a human being.

Would it be ok if the old bag said she didn't want a Jew, or an Asian, or an Indian or anyone else making the delivery? Next time she should just request a Klan member make her delivery. Really--this is the 21st century. And people think nobody is anti-Obama just because he's black?

"Although Bradley is saddened by the way he says the situation was handled, he plans to still be at work tomorrow. "I mean I gotta work. I'm going to keep going to work like I've always done. But I would think Lowe's would take it into consideration to think about what they're doing next time," said Bradley."

Lowe's Delivery Driver Says Store Halted a Delivery Because He's - WSET.com - ABC13
Oh I'm sure he was ticked, I would be too but I wouldn't A. Make a nationwide news event out of it. B. Get my manager fired. C. Even think of suing over it unless it's against the lady.
Crappy things happen every day (sometimes multiple times) so what's the answer to these little things? Cry and throw a fit or shake it off, realize the store was trying to make the best of a bad situation and move on.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:01 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,164,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
You clearly don't understand the meaning of a "hostile workplace". Go ahead and read up on it and think about what you just posted.

You're confusing a hostile workplace and an occupational hazard.
Racially-motivated violence is an occupational hazard? I guess the Ft. Hood shooting really was "workplace violence" in your world.

Had he done so, the manager's action of dispatching the black delivery driver to the home of an admitted racist would've constituted a hostile work environment. Thank God the manager did not do so.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's a business decision and a moral decision. I've had Client's tell me not to send blacks to their house. If it's a key client, do you tell them to take a hike? I know the morally self-righteous will always say don't do business with that person but that's not always easy to do when you are trying to get business. By the way, that's not the only thing I've been requested to do that I didn't agree with. Would you work for a racist white, black or Asian if they gave you the best opportunity?
I don't think refusing to do business with someone like this makes one morally righteous. I think it makes you a decent human being. Selling yourself out for the sake of the almighty dollar is pretty damned despicable.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:14 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Lowe's quickly responded and the store manager is no longer with them, the delivery driver still has his job, the old woman has been publicly outed as a racist. Is the driver trying to sue?

Old 08-17-2015, 07:37 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think that employee should have a little tolerance for the fact that some elderly are frightened of black people. I also have a friend that was raped by a black man. She used to have anxiety attacks when confronted by a black man in a hostile way. It brought her trauma back to her. I cannot imagine she would want a visit from one.

Did he lose his job? Then why is he complaining? Part of what that person paid Lowe's is paying his salary. Sometimes a worker should think of their employers too. Why are we even hearing about this?
Yeah, no. There are some elderly people who still have ridiculous preconceived notions about Jews who have felt fit to share those thoughts with me when they find out I'm Jewish. Just because they're old doesn't mean I have to disrespect their intelligence by treating them less than I'd treat anyone else. And I'm certainly not about to disrespect myself by "tolerating" their antisemitism. I feel the same way about an elderly person's racism. Sorry, but nope.

I was raped by a white guy. If I was scared of white people after that experience, I would rightfully by directed to therapy rather than indulged in my fear.

No excuse.

We're hearing about this, and other cases, because this is what those of us in minority groups have experienced our whole lives. We finally have a platform with the internet to highlight that we're not alone in experiencing these issues. Furthermore, it helps inform those in the minority who seem to think racism is a thing of the past.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:03 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's a business decision and a moral decision. I've had Client's tell me not to send blacks to their house. If it's a key client, do you tell them to take a hike? I know the morally self-righteous will always say don't do business with that person but that's not always easy to do when you are trying to get business. By the way, that's not the only thing I've been requested to do that I didn't agree with. Would you work for a racist white, black or Asian if they gave you the best opportunity?
Not if it requires me to discriminate against others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events