Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:34 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I've seen this same mentality in the hospitals as well. The customer is always right, no matter how ridiculous. Sad but true.
"The customer is always right" doesn't mean that the customer is always right. It means that, "We pretend that the customer is always right because we want him/her to come back and buy from us again".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 11:35 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Replace the black employee with a Christian employee and replace the white customer who didn't want a delivery from a black person with a Muslim who didn't want a delivery from an infidel and the posters running interference for the idiot Lowe's manager would be singing a different tune.

My stance, on the other hand, would be the same - but that's because I actually have principles.
Everybody has principles, but some aren't too savory. Having principles means nothing. It's what the principles are that count.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:42 AM

32 posts, read 25,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes, this nonsense still occurs in the year 2015.

That Lowe's management was very wrong in accommodating that request. Yes, the customer had that right to make the request, but Lowe's should have told her to go take a hike. Nothing at all to do with "PC nonsense."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/lowes-...144414182.html

And they are telling us that there is no racism.

I have been working for a company that did not hire black people to work, even if they were suitable to the position according to their professional skills.
behind the scenes of course. just found different reasons to refuse.

I absolutely do not agree with such company's policy. You can not equate all on the one line.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:53 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Really?

If I ever have a patient who looks at my name tag and says "I'm not being treated by any Jew" I hope my facility would have the integrity to tell them not to let the door hit them in the butt on the way out.
Why? Why do you care whether someone is prejudiced against Jews, Catholics, whites, blacks, etc? People still have the right to say and think what they want, whether you agree with it or whether you're offended by it.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:58 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
That lady disgusting and hope she stays in her home and doesn't venture out.

Without the details, we can only speculate as to why the manager accommodated the request. For all we know he is a good, well intentioned guy, but just made what he thought to be a good judgement call for the sake of pleasing a customer, and completing a sale. Loews handled this properly, and I wonder how they plan to mitigate these types of actions in the future.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:38 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
That lady disgusting and hope she stays in her home and doesn't venture out.

Without the details, we can only speculate as to why the manager accommodated the request. For all we know he is a good, well intentioned guy, but just made what he thought to be a good judgement call for the sake of pleasing a customer, and completing a sale. Loews handled this properly, and I wonder how they plan to mitigate these types of actions in the future.
You seem to be in the minority on that one. I mean, even just looking at the negative media attention, which businesses almost never want, especially not on an issue such as race, I'm sure Lowe's executives are wishing the store supervisor never did what he did.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:06 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Who knows, maybe she was just trying to protect the driver from someone else in the house who is some kind of psychotic bigot.

Notice I said psychotic. Not saying we should cater to bigots.

When I first started delivering mail the boss assigned me to a route in the 'hood. The guys in the office protested that it just wasn't safe to send me there. I would not have wanted to go to a 'hood of any sort:the white trash in the city were pretty dangerous too.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I have had something similar like this happen to me. I am not black I am a white woman who worked in what many considered a man's job back in the 60's. I processed health insurance claims. I actually had a few male customers, white guys, refuse to deal with me and request a male claims adjuster because, and they made it perfectly clear, they did not want to do business with a woman.

In each case, they were given a male adjuster to handle their claim. At least over the phone or in person if they were in the office. After the customer left/hung up, the file was handed back to me to work on.

How did that make me feel? Angry, humiliated, upset. The company didn't back me up, they didn't tell the bigot either accept me or take their business elsewhere. The customer won every time. I was supposed to have just considered myself fortunate I had this job because so few women were allowed to this type of work at this company at that time.

So how do I feel that this happened with this driver today? Pretty darn bad. I think I would have wanted Lowe's to tell this customer to come get the package herself. I don't think a customer should get to dictate who a company should hire to do a job. I would have liked to have seen Lowe's back their employee.

I can't help but put a personal spin on this situation and wonder if times have changed all that much.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I just moved from that area of Virginia. I actually only lived there a little over a year, having relocated from a very racially diverse South Florida. I have NEVER been to such a racist place as southern Virginia. Shortly after moving to Virginia I heard people toss around the N word like it was just a normal common word. Someone actually asked me if I was now living in that house that used to be full of Ns. They (ppl in general) also were very rude toward Mexicans too. I had no idea that ppl spoke like that in America today. It was quite bizarre.
My home state is so bipolar. I grew up in Hampton Roads and now live in Northern VA and these are two of the most racially tolerant areas of the country IMO. Now go in between I-81 and I-95 and stay below I-64, different story, hell, a different part of time.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:29 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Do not tell me what I would not do. If I knew some racist assclown didn't want me there, and my manager forced me to go, I would hand in my apron. Who knows if I might get shot at because that sorry mofo hates blacks? Get a grip. This is not the eighties. People are crazy.
Calm down. Take a deep breath. I am not suggesting someone force you to go anywhere. I am saying rather than worry about swapping driver's, they just decline to do business with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events