Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:12 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times

Advertisements

For whatever reason, this customer had concerns about who was entering her home. That is her right and only she knows the reasons. Lowes is in the business of making EVERY customer happy, even if their requests might not make sense to them.

I see no problem with it. What if the lady had said she only wanted a female delivery person because she trusted them more ? It would be no different. Everyone is looking for us vs them anymore, and sometimes there is no us vs them, just people doing what makes them feel safe and comfortable.

I think the black guy has too thin skin.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,771 times
Why then are almost all news stories involving a black victim told by a black reporter? Aren't the reporters picked according to race to deliver the news? Delivering the news is a service too so what is the big deal now? Are not stores staffed with people reflected in the local communities quite often? Of course they are. How many white people do you see working to deliver peoducts or services in east Oakland or certain parts of Chicago? Aren't men usually sent on deliveries to rough neighborhoods? You bet they are and when have you heard women complaining that they aren't sent out to deliver in Compton?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:38 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Why then are almost all news stories involving a black victim told by a black reporter? Aren't the reporters picked according to race to deliver the news? Delivering the news is a service too so what is the big deal now? Are not stores staffed with people reflected in the local communities quite often? Of course they are. How many white people do you see working to deliver peoducts or services in east Oakland or certain parts of Chicago? Aren't men usually sent on deliveries to rough neighborhoods? You bet they are and when have you heard women complaining that they aren't sent out to deliver in Compton?
Yes, Black reporters are often chosen to report on stories about Black communities. It is assumed, particularly in difficult times, that Black people will be more apt to talk to Black reporters, and White people will be more apt to talk to White reporters.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, Black reporters are often chosen to report on stories about Black communities. It is assumed, particularly in difficult times, that Black people will be more apt to talk to Black reporters, and White people will be more apt to talk to White reporters.
I was talking about the reporters relaying the story as in news delivery but not the anchor but your analogy also works. Why then is the delivery of a service any different regardless of what that story is? Aren't white and asian reporters treated differently when it comes to stories involving blacks? Yet, black reporters often relate stories where other races are the subject. Delivery of service is delivery of service. Here, suddenly there can be no selection?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:54 PM

Saying that in a delivery of one service, it is okay to use a black because blacks are more apt to talk to blacks should hold true in the reverse and for any service. If the customer wants a white delivery person, how is that any more racist than having blacks talk to blacks as part of the delivery of service? It can't be only ok when blacks talk to blacks, it has to work when any race talks to their own race. Like it or not, it is a double edged sword.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:45 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times
This delivery driver needs to develop some thicker skin.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:07 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
This delivery driver needs to develop some thicker skin.
Really?

If I ever have a patient who looks at my name tag and says "I'm not being treated by any Jew" I hope my facility would have the integrity to tell them not to let the door hit them in the butt on the way out.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:15 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,484 times
Default Typical

I just moved from that area of Virginia. I actually only lived there a little over a year, having relocated from a very racially diverse South Florida. I have NEVER been to such a racist place as southern Virginia. Shortly after moving to Virginia I heard people toss around the N word like it was just a normal common word. Someone actually asked me if I was now living in that house that used to be full of Ns. They (ppl in general) also were very rude toward Mexicans too. I had no idea that ppl spoke like that in America today. It was quite bizarre.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,640 times
"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

As long as we're not arbitrary about it, I think this still flies.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:39 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
I don't see the manager, did anything wrong, I don't see any racism in this from lowes point of view, The driver did not get purnish, he did not get discriminated. It just life.

when I first started working I got hired by a 100% black custom window shop, just because I was white and they wanted me to handle the white community. it wasn't discriminated, some people just want to deal with their own type.

it no different from taking an educated proper black gentlemen and put him in the black community and he starts acting and talking like a hood rat. His own community. maybe the talking white acting white needs to be change to acting business like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events