Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:50 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

Do we know this was a white customer? Maybe it was a black customer, who gets pleasure out of being served by white people.
If the above scenario was true, would we be hearing about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 06:54 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Scroll to the bottom of the link on the yahoo page....

The company also tweeted about the incident.

Lowe's ✔@Lowes
diversity & inclusion are core values at Lowe's. The individuals involved are no longer with the company.
8:58 AM - 10 Aug 2015
3 3 Retweets 4 4 favorites

Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Exactly. When the whole story comes out and the customer is deposed the reason the customer did what she did will be known.
Everybody is so fast to jump on the bigot/racist train but it could actually be something very different.
Before I get jumped on and before I explain what those things could've been I'd ask y'all just think about it for a few with an open mind...
Okay, it's been more than twelve hours, people have had plenty of time to think about your post, so now it's your turn. Please, please share with us the valid nondiscriminatory reasons a customer would have to refuse to accept a delivery from a black driver.

We'll just wait.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:05 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
If I were the Lowes manager I would have said OK to the racist but you are going to have to wait until the end of the day for your delivery or even the next day.
If someone wants to inconvenience you with their racism why not inconvenience them?

Old 08-11-2015, 07:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Then you had better be aware, and afraid, of the slew of Ban the Box venues popping up across the fruited plain.

What that means is that employers are barred from asking prospective employees about past convictions. Many in this region aren't even aware of the ramifications. If a business has its office ie., in the city, that question is banned even though any business is conducted outside of the city (suburbs, rural areas).

What we're talking about here are home improvement companies or contractors having access to your home, and being familiar with its layout.

I won't apologize for not wanting ex-cons working in our home.
Yeah, I'm not OK with that.

Regardless of any service tech or delivery driver's background, I am armed if I'm there alone while my hot water heater's being replaced or waiting for a package. The handgun is never out of reach. I don't show it to them, obviously, but it's where I can get to it easily. My house, my gun, my safety, my rules.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Okay, it's been more than twelve hours, people have had plenty of time to think about your post, so now it's your turn. Please, please share with us the valid nondiscriminatory reasons a customer would have to refuse to accept a delivery from a black driver.

We'll just wait.
Well, if you've read any of the posts that followed the question you'd have your answer. How about mental illness like severe phobias? How about as was mentioned the person had been the victim of a violent crime perpetrated by a black person?

There are reasons that have nothing to do with discrimination or bigotry. It all depends on where the readers mind is preconditioned to go.

As a side note, my neighbor does pizza delivery as a side job. Some of the stories he comes home and tells mimic this one except the colors involved are reversed.
He's told several different stories where he's gone to a black person's house and either been threatened with robbery (because he's white) or been tossed the price of the pizza and told "we don't tip whitey"

So, it ain't just a white "thang" it seems...

Old 08-11-2015, 07:37 AM

887 posts, read 1,216,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
So far, this is nothing but a claim and some race baiting OP.
Gee maybe they will settle out of court for a tidy sum.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:43 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's a business decision and a moral decision. I've had Client's tell me not to send blacks to their house. If it's a key client, do you tell them to take a hike? I know the morally self-righteous will always say don't do business with that person but that's not always easy to do when you are trying to get business. By the way, that's not the only thing I've been requested to do that I didn't agree with. Would you work for a racist white, black or Asian if they gave you the best opportunity?
I have never put business or opportunity over ethics and never will. The choice for me is easy...

Old 08-11-2015, 08:01 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, if you've read any of the posts that followed the question you'd have your answer. How about mental illness like severe phobias? How about as was mentioned the person had been the victim of a violent crime perpetrated by a black person?

There are reasons that have nothing to do with discrimination or bigotry. It all depends on where the readers mind is preconditioned to go.

As a side note, my neighbor does pizza delivery as a side job. Some of the stories he comes home and tells mimic this one except the colors involved are reversed.
He's told several different stories where he's gone to a black person's house and either been threatened with robbery (because he's white) or been tossed the price of the pizza and told "we don't tip whitey"

So, it ain't just a white "thang" it seems...
Actually, all three of the examples you cite are both discrimination and bigotry. In fact, assuming that all people of a certain race will act the same way as one person did is pretty much the definition of bigotry.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:03 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No you wouldn't. You are there to do your job. As a good employee you should be able to just do it without any pretenses. Having to sit out because of crap like that and that person getting what they want would bother a good employee. And I'm not suggesting they send him into a bad situation. Lowe's doesn't have time to worry about what drivers are available to do what for who and when. Maybe they accommodate that person one time, but warn them in the future. But declining to do business with them is the best way to handle it.
Do not tell me what I would not do. If I knew some racist assclown didn't want me there, and my manager forced me to go, I would hand in my apron. Who knows if I might get shot at because that sorry mofo hates blacks? Get a grip. This is not the eighties. People are crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events