Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 09:08 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Better be careful, some people here might send men with guns to your lemonade stand.
That's OK, I have the means and will to deal with that if it should occur. Tanks, rockets and bombs could be a bit more problematic, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 10:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Governmental action and action of state actors is not at all correlated to that of a private entity. The clerk should be fired.
It is two sides of the same coin though, but you already knew that... Both refused to serve homosexuals though done clerks took it to a new level by not even serving heterosexual couples from getting their marriage license. Both deny civil rights. The business owner has the rift to discriminate if there is a problem like say someone is causing a physical disturbance. My question to you, is asking for a cake for a homosexual marriage a disturbance?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:41 AM

760 posts, read 767,962 times
Quote:
The husband and wife duo baked 10 cakes, packaged them up and drove to California, — and mailed them out to gay rights groups on Wednesday.
After all the bruhaha on this case, there's NO WAY I would trust those 10 cakes.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is two sides of the same coin though, but you already knew that... Both refused to serve homosexuals though done clerks took it to a new level by not even serving heterosexual couples from getting their marriage license. Both deny civil rights. The business owner has the rift to discriminate if there is a problem like say someone is causing a physical disturbance. My question to you, is asking for a cake for a homosexual marriage a disturbance?
You have a fundamental right to governmental services wihout cosideration of your sex skin color etc. You do not have a fundamental right to be served by a privately owned business. The two are not on the same coin.

Just as city data can censor posts freely without violating freedom of speech a government censorship is a violation

Old 08-22-2015, 12:22 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,523,686 times
Quote:
You have a fundamental right to governmental services wihout cosideration of your sex skin color etc. You do not have a fundamental right to be served by a privately owned business. The two are not on the same coin.

Just as city data can censor posts freely without violating freedom of speech a government censorship is a violation
The problem you seem to miss is that the baker was fined for exposing the couple's personal info online thereby violating the law.

The fact that the baker thought a "gay wedding cake" had different ingredients than the "straight wedding cake" is really sad. I would never buy a wedding cake from them, probably not going to taste very good if they don't know that both cakes use the same ingredients.

A business is there to make money. To refuse to take money for such a stupid reason is also really sad. They don't like "gay money" when it is about a wedding cake...er... "gay wedding cake" but they WILL (and did) take "gay money" for donuts.

So you think that is not discriminatory to let them purchase a cake but donuts are fine?

Old 08-22-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The problem you seem to miss is that the baker was fined for exposing the couple's personal info online thereby violating the law.

The fact that the baker thought a "gay wedding cake" had different ingredients than the "straight wedding cake" is really sad. I would never buy a wedding cake from them, probably not going to taste very good if they don't know that both cakes use the same ingredients.

A business is there to make money. To refuse to take money for such a stupid reason is also really sad. They don't like "gay money" when it is about a wedding cake...er... "gay wedding cake" but they WILL (and did) take "gay money" for donuts.

So you think that is not discriminatory to let them purchase a cake but donuts are fine?
Is it discriminatory for them to refuse any of their business? Yes. Do I support discrimination? No (in fact I would never do business with this shop or any other similar shop I gladly support gay marriage. ). Should that be legal for them to discriminate? Yes.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:46 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I do not support gay marriage
I support the right of anyone to not serve anyone else... capitolism is so strong any void will quickly be filled in search of the dollar or the niche
This is nothing more than PC crap
I voted for prop 8.. which when agreed upon by the majority was negated by a small group of liberal activist judges telling the rest of us
...your votes don't count and you will think only what we want you to think.
I hope these people close up.. go bankrupt ..and never give one cent to the lawyers and bloodsucking activists
It always amazes me that you are a cop. No wonder there is so much anti police sentiment in the country.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Is it discriminatory for them to refuse any of their business? Yes. Do I support discrimination? No (in fact I would never do business with this shop or any other similar shop I gladly support gay marriage. ). Should that be legal for them to discriminate? Yes.
You do not support discrimination but believe they should be able to discriminate. Holy hypocrites Batman! Seriously though, that is a hypocritical stance because you are supporting discrimination by being in favor of a business' right to discriminate when you yourself don't personally support it.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:37 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I do not support gay marriage
I support the right of anyone to not serve anyone else... capitolism is so strong any void will quickly be filled in search of the dollar or the niche
This is nothing more than PC crap
I voted for prop 8.. which when agreed upon by the majority was negated by a small group of liberal activist judges telling the rest of us
...your votes don't count and you will think only what we want you to think.
I hope these people close up.. go bankrupt ..and never give one cent to the lawyers and bloodsucking activists
Or deliver an unwanted cake to the gay couple on a weekly basis with a biblical verse written on it.
If confronted, say you wanted to show no hard feelings and want to share your side of things after being trounced in public.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You do not support discrimination but believe they should be able to discriminate. Holy hypocrites Batman! Seriously though, that is a hypocritical stance because you are supporting discrimination by being in favor of a business' right to discriminate when you yourself don't personally support it.
So it is also hypocritical to oppose hate speech lets say the WBC but support their right to do so? No, that is F**** retarded nothing hypocritical about supporting free speech while not supporting a specific speech, yet recognizing that the speech is constitutionally protected. .

Your understanding of logic is to say the least greatly flawed. My view is consistent.

One does not have to agree with a specific action to support someones right to undertake that action. This is not complicated.

I oppose WBC's speech. I support their right to express it. Please illustrate the hypocrisy here for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events