Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 03:20 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Running a business is in fact a right.
Actually, today you must essentially run a business in order to live.

Business is essentially the trade of resources.

When I go to work, I'm trading my time for money.

If I were to go back 1,000 years and was a fisherman, when I traded fish for some bread, it was a business transaction. If I were raising goats, I'd be trading things like goat's milk for shoes.

So, yes, trading resources, running a business, should be a right because it allows people to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 03:23 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Says who?

Try and run without a license and see where it gets you.

Unconstitutional laws remain not laws. That you clearly agree with sending men with guns after children engaging in business is pretty sad.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:24 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Unconstitutional
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:26 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
It has nothing to do with feelings, and you know that.

The birthday is a private event.

Businesses are in the public realm thus are held accountable to anti discrimination laws
Sorry, but it is about hurt feelings.

If I chose to not allow you to purchase antique quilts from my antique quilt store because I didn't sell to men, you wouldn't have any injury other than hurt feelings. It wouldn't cause you to starve, die of dehydration, prevent a disease, keep you from traveling to the hospital or anything like that. It would only result in your feelings being hurt.

Sorry if I don't feel the government should be in the "nobody can be sad" business.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Laws that violate fundamental constitutional rights are not law. The right to do business is covered by the first , fifth and, ninth amendments. That this is confusing to you is greatly disturbing. The right to do business is fundamentally derived from the right to own property.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:32 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry, but it is about hurt feelings.

If I chose to not allow you to purchase antique quilts from my antique quilt store because I didn't sell to men, you wouldn't have any injury other than hurt feelings. It wouldn't cause you to starve, die of dehydration, prevent a disease, keep you from traveling to the hospital or anything like that. It would only result in your feelings being hurt.

Sorry if I don't feel the government should be in the "nobody can be sad" business.
Again, it is not about "hurt feelings"

It is the law.

Get it?

A law that you, residing in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA must follow.

I don't agree with the 55MPH speed limit LAW on the interstate by me. If I get caught exceeding that LAW though, I get fined, or could go to jail.

There are anti-discrimination LAWS for a GOOD reason.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:32 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I do not support gay marriage
I support the right of anyone to not serve anyone else... capitolism is so strong any void will quickly be filled in search of the dollar or the niche
This is nothing more than PC crap
Well, blow me down...this is the first thing I've seen that you've written, that I actually agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Can I just ask ( as I don't at all understand ) surely as its HIS business he can serve whoever he's wants to regardless whether or not ppl are gay, black, white, tall , short , fat , thin etc

It's his choice surely
I have always operated my businesses on the basis that it is MY RIGHT to CHOOSE who I will or will not do business with. Nobody, but NOBODY, is going to tell me that I HAVE to do business with anyone I don't like, for whatever reason.

Have I ever refused to do business with people? You betcha, for a variety of reasons- ugly, stupid, attitude, politics, religiosity, smell, being a PITA, too much hassle, got a 'bad vibe', and the list goes on. "Sorry, can't help you. Take your money somewhere else, there'll be somebody willing to take it from you." I reserve the right to discriminate based on any reason that might strike me at the moment. Don't like *my* attitude? Boycott me. Take your money somewhere else too. That's *your* RIGHT.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Well, blow me down...this is the first thing I've seen that you've written, that I actually agree with.

I have always operated my businesses on the basis that it is MY RIGHT to CHOOSE who I will or will not do business with. Nobody, but NOBODY, is going to tell me that I HAVE to do business with anyone I don't like, for whatever reason.

Have I ever refused to do business with people? You betcha, for a variety of reasons- ugly, stupid, attitude, politics, religiosity, smell, being a PITA, too much hassle, got a 'bad vibe', and the list goes on. "Sorry, can't help you. Take your money somewhere else, there'll be somebody willing to take it from you." I reserve the right to discriminate based on any reason that might strike me at the moment. Don't like *my* attitude? Boycott me. Take your money somewhere else too. That's *your* RIGHT.
Better be careful, some people here might send men with guns to your lemonade stand.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:34 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Laws that violate fundamental constitutional rights are not law. The right to do business is covered by the first , fifth and, ninth amendments. That this is confusing to you is greatly disturbing. The right to do business is fundamentally derived from the right to own property.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
Well, sounds like you've got an open & shut case. Let us know when you file the lawsuit and please don't forget to keep us posted on its progress.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Again, it is not about "hurt feelings"

It is the law.

Get it?

A law that you, residing in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA must follow.

I don't agree with the 55MPH speed limit LAW on the interstate by me. If I get caught exceeding that LAW though, I get fined, or could go to jail.

There are anti-discrimination LAWS for a GOOD reason.
I have the right to freely associate. No law can take away fundamental rights and any law that does is not worth wiping my ass with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events