Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 03:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Running a business is not a "right" either--let alone a "fundamental right" like the right to vote. You either comply with the laws or you shut your business down. Its fine with me if people who won't obey these laws close their doors. I say good riddance.

If you want have a personal opinion that a business should have the right to serve who it wants and doesn't want that's fine with me.

That's not the law though. States can have individual laws prohibiting discrimination against any group they want, including gay people. Federal laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, or national origin. If you want to argue those laws are unconstitutional, I hate to tell you this: The Supreme Court has the final word and they have said these laws are constitutional.

I am much more concerned with the Supreme Court thinks on this issue than what Ayn Rand or a bunch of libertarian crackpots think.
I hear your emotional rant, but can you explain to me the reason for which a non-essential services business should be forced not to discriminate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 03:03 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I hear your emotional rant, but can you explain to me the reason for which a non-essential services business should be forced not to discriminate?
Civil rights act of 1964 which has been upheld be the supreme court.

If you don't like our laws, then move out of the country.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Inconvenience and it results in a group being treated as second class citizens. No Americans are second class citizens.

My biggest problem is that its always same groups. Some people don't like blacks, some don't like Hispanics, and some don't like gay people.

I'm sorry if educating people what the law is in this country as opposed to a purely personal view comes across and "emotional rant". Some folks here on CDF just don't seem to get the idea that they aren't allowed to do whatever they want.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Inconvenience and it results in a group being treated as second class citizens. No Americans are second class citizens.

My biggest problem is that its always same groups. Some people don't like blacks, some don't like Hispanics, and some don't like gay people.

I'm sorry if educating people what the law is in this country as opposed to a purely personal view comes across and "emotional rant".
Let's start with inconvenience.

Do you feel that businesses should be forced to open each day? Let's take Chick-Fil-A as an example. Should the government force Chick-Fil-A to open on Sundays so that people are not inconvenienced when they are passing by one on a Sunday and not able to eat?

Now, let's move on to "second class citizens".

So, you're saying that businesses should be forced to do business with everyone so people don't get their feelings hurt?

Quote:
Some folks here on CDF just don't seem to get the idea that they aren't allowed to do whatever they want.
While others feel government should be the morality police.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Let's start with inconvenience.

Do you feel that businesses should be forced to open each day? Let's take Chick-Fil-A as an example. Should the government force Chick-Fil-A to open on Sundays so that people are not inconvenienced when they are passing by one on a Sunday and not able to eat?

Whether the business is open or not does not impact any particular group. If they are closed on Sunday, they are closed for everyone.

Now, let's move on to "second class citizens".

So, you're saying that businesses should be forced to do business with everyone so people don't get their feelings hurt?

Yes. It's not "feelings." It's the law.

While others feel government should be the morality police.

See blue

Old 08-21-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
See blue
Saw blue.

It's still an issue of convenience. You really believe government should be making laws to make things convenient?

I guess so, since you feel the government should have laws against hurt feelings.

Let me ask you this, if a person is having a birthday party and invites all of his white neighbors, but not the black neighbors, because he is a racist, should the government force him to invite those black neighbors to the party so their aren't any hurt feelings?

Old 08-21-2015, 03:15 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,814 times
Quote:
Running a business is not a "right" either--let alone a "fundamental right" like the right to vote. You either comply with the laws or you shut your business down. Its fine with me if people who won't obey these laws close their doors. I say good riddance.

If you want have a personal opinion that a business should have the right to serve who it wants and doesn't want that's fine with me.

That's not the law though. States can have individual laws prohibiting discrimination against any group they want, including gay people. Federal laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, or national origin. If you want to argue those laws are unconstitutional, I hate to tell you this: The Supreme Court has the final word and they have said these laws are constitutional.

I am much more concerned with the Supreme Court thinks on this issue than what Ayn Rand or a bunch of libertarian crackpots think.
Running a business is in fact a right.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,814 times
It should be illegal for consumers to discriminate when they choose who to do business with due to their sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation. Consumers should need a governmentally regulated license to consume and they should be investigated if they only associate with certain categories of people.

If you do not do business with black, gay and trans owned businesses you should pay a large fine.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Saw blue.

It's still an issue of convenience. You really believe government should be making laws to make things convenient?

I guess so, since you feel the government should have laws against hurt feelings.

Let me ask you this, if a person is having a birthday party and invites all of his white neighbors, but not the black neighbors, because he is a racist, should the government force him to invite those black neighbors to the party so their aren't any hurt feelings?
It has nothing to do with feelings, and you know that.

The birthday is a private event.

Businesses are in the public realm thus are held accountable to anti discrimination laws

Old 08-21-2015, 03:20 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Running a business is in fact a right.

Says who?

Try and run without a license and see where it gets you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events