Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 11:54 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz1973 View Post
Do you not understand my question? I will rephrase...does any baker of custom cakes have any reason to not make a custom cake if it against his long held religious beliefs. Can I ask the custom Muslim baker to make me a Jesus cake.

I understand this case was different. You don't need to explain that to me.
Does the Muslim baker have the Jesus shaped pan? Is it something that he would regularly make for a customer? If not then no.

There was another case where a "christian" went to a bakery and wanted an anti-gay cake made. The baker said that she did not do hate speech on any cake, but would bake the cake in the shape he wanted and sell the materials to write whatever he wanted on it himself. She won since she does not do anti-anything statements on any of her cakes. If the muslim baker does not do some type of religious decoration he would not be required to do so for anyone.
Go back to the taco bell example, they MAY offer custom services, but that does not mean that any and all options are available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 11:55 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Freedom of association is a constitutional right. That does not go away because of a law.
Which clause is that?

Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Who has time for a stupid video about a non-issue?
Not me, I'd rather mow the yard. I don't see the big thrill in watching some religious freaks battle it out with some gay freaks.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:03 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Which clause is that?
You can guess which one this is.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Old 08-21-2015, 12:49 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Quote:
You can guess which one this is.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

I love to keep repeating this to the ignorant conservatives......

Freedom of religion means freedom to hold an opinion or belief, but not to take action in violation of social duties or subversive to good order," In Reynolds v. United States (1878), the Supreme Court found that while laws cannot interfere with religious belief and opinions, laws can be made to regulate some religious practices (e.g., human sacrifices, and the Hindu practice of suttee). The Court stated that to rule otherwise, "would be to make the professed doctrines of religious belief superior to the law of the land, and in effect permit every citizen to become a law unto himself. Government would exist only in name under such circumstances."[27] In Cantwell v. Connecticut (1940), the Court held that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applied the Free Exercise Clause to the states. While the right to have religious beliefs is absolute, the freedom to act on such beliefs is not absolute.[28]

Old 08-21-2015, 01:00 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Good lord.

Their religion tells them that homosexuality is wrong. I don't agree with them. Furthermore, I agree that by law, if they are doing business, they do have to serve everyone who asks equally. On top of that, I voted against prop 8 in Cali, and for the right of gays to marry.
How so? The anti gay crap is in the OLD testament which Christians don't follow.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times
Also, the cakes should be tested for Poison, urine, feces, spit, ect.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:13 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I love to keep repeating this to the ignorant conservatives......

Freedom of religion means freedom to hold an opinion or belief, but not to take action in violation of social duties or subversive to good order," In Reynolds v. United States (1878), the Supreme Court found that while laws cannot interfere with religious belief and opinions, laws can be made to regulate some religious practices (e.g., human sacrifices, and the Hindu practice of suttee). The Court stated that to rule otherwise, "would be to make the professed doctrines of religious belief superior to the law of the land, and in effect permit every citizen to become a law unto himself. Government would exist only in name under such circumstances."[27] In Cantwell v. Connecticut (1940), the Court held that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applied the Free Exercise Clause to the states. While the right to have religious beliefs is absolute, the freedom to act on such beliefs is not absolute.[28]
Speech is the more applicable clause here.

Human sacrifice violates an individuals rights. Not being served a hamburger by a private party does not. Service is not a right. Life is a right.

Does the 1a have limits? Yes. Where another parties rights begin and ONLY where another parties rights begin.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:21 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Quote:
Speech is the more applicable clause here.

Human sacrifice violates an individuals rights. Not being served a hamburger by a private party does not. Service is not a right. Life is a right.

Does the 1a have limits? Yes. Where another parties rights begin and ONLY where another parties rights begin.
You can say whatever you want. You can tell a black customer when they come in that they are a dirty ni**er. But you still have to serve them the same that you'd serve anyone else, as of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Amazingly, people care what the owners of a bakery think about homosexuals.
Only because for conservatives, they take it as the next war on Christmas while for liberals, they see it as an attack on individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events