Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:01 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Do you think Congress and President Johnson were so dumb that they passed the Civil Right Act knowing it was unconstitutional? Or that the SCOTUS was so stupid that their 9-0 opinion didn't take into an account of the First Amendment? C'mon.

Mick
Congress passing an unconstitutional law and SCOTUS upholding it? Never! Are you drunk?

Mugler v. Kansas

Olmstead v. United States

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:03 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
That freedom of association has been to destroyed in this country is a pretty terrible thing. I support gay marriage, I also support the right of people to freely associate. The two are not mutually exclusive.
So you would have no problem with a baker refusing to serve a black couple?

Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Bank deny you service? No. Government mandate resulting in the bank denying you service? Yes.
I don't know what you are attempting to say in this post.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
I meant some businesses. Businesses openly discriminating in large scale are only reducing their marketability and customer base.
Except we didn't see that happen when it was legal to do so. The market didn't correct the social injustices done to minorities, women and children.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Freedom of association is dead in America if you own a business. Public accommodation laws of the civil "rights" era removed that fundamental right. THAT should be the real story here.
So you feel a store owner can have a sign that say, "we do not serve black people here" in their window? Is that the fundamental right you are hoping to regain?

Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't know what you are attempting to say in this post.
If a government mandate prevents a bank from doing.business with a customer that is unconstitutional. If a bank chooses to? That is perfectly fine

Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Bakers Who Were Fined $135,000 for Gay Wedding Cake Refusal Deliver a Major Surprise

We "love" you so much that we are willing to treat you differently from other customers and block you from civil rights. With love, Conservatives.

This is the lovely movie they sent to homosexual groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2WqiFDKAok

Really, Kleins, your "love" knows no bounds.

I have experienced that cold and judgmental "love" from fundamentalist Christians before.

You know what it feel a lot like? HATE.

They are doing this to make them selves look good and to feel superior. Outward appearance and show, coupled with a total lack of humility.

Just what Jesus taught.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
So you feel a store owner can have a sign that say, "we do not serve black people here" in their window? Is that the fundamental right you are hoping to regain?
If.that is their wish? Yes. Would I shop at such a business? No. This is confusing?

Old 08-21-2015, 10:36 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
I have no idea what this video is about. From the comments I'm reading nobody else seems to know either and they're just commenting on the "scandal" behind the story in general, so I will make my comments the same way. It seems to me that in this case the bakers were not refusing to serve gay people, they were refusing to make a cake for a gay wedding. Is there any indication that they would not have been served if they were trying to order a birthday cake? Is there any indication that they would have served a cake for a gay wedding if heterosexuals had ordered it? A gay wedding cake is a specific product, and this bakery does not provide that product. As long as they would not provide that product to anyone, what have they done wrong? Some people have compared this situation to a bakery that would refuse to serve black people or women but it's not really the same. It's more comparable to a situation where a baker would be willing to make black people a cake, but not a Kwanza cake. Does a bakery have the right to not offer Kwanza cakes? Can the government say all bakeries must provide Kwanza cakes? In this particular case, is a bakery allowed to say "I'm sorry we do not offer gay wedding cakes, that's just not a product we sell"? How about "I'm sorry but we don't serve strawberry frosting"? If a baker provides one flavor should it be forced to provide all flavors?

I suppose in an era where the government can force people to buy a particular product, it can also force people to sell a particular product. I'm not sure that's the direction we ought to be going in though.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:40 AM

33 posts, read 42,825 times
Quote:
Are Nazis a protected class? If so, then no it would not be okay.
Point taken.

So would it then be okay for someone to go into a Kosher Bakery, or a Muslim bakery, and ask that a cake be made in the shape of a Jesus on the Cross?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events