Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 04:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times

Advertisements

As far as working world rules people with kids get a lot more leeway than childless people. People with no children are expected to pick up the slack when parents are called away.
When I had my company I had voluntarily paid for some of the office ladies who got pregnant and needed maternity leave. But I didn't mind. I wanted to help. They were good employees and I felt this was right and wanted to do it. We were pretty successful and everyone worked hard and it was my way of thanking them.
Now if I was forced to do so I would not be so happy about it. There are a lot of things I to do when it comes to help others. I don't like being forced to help others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 04:20 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I agree that most CEO's are grossly over-paid, and that's the fault of their board of directors. Those top-rung salaries aren't going to be affected by whether or not the company pays maternity leave. If a company decides it wants to provide maternity leave for it's employees, then fine... all well and good. But it's wrong to force someone (a company) to take on the financial obligation to support someone else's choices. In effect it's saying "I'm going to have a baby, and there's nothing you can do about it..... and you have to pay me anyway". I just don't agree with making it mandatory.
Saying it's wrong is short-sighted and does nothing to address that we need to support our mothers better, as a country. Birth rates amongst middle and upper class educated women is at an all time low. We cannot work and have a newborn at the same time. It's unhealthy and inhumane. How is this any different than vacation time, or any other benefit?

Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As far as working world rules people with kids get a lot more leeway than childless people. People with no children are expected to pick up the slack when parents are called away.
When I had my company I had voluntarily paid for some of the office ladies who got pregnant and needed maternity leave. But I didn't mind. I wanted to help. They were good employees and I felt this was right and wanted to do it. We were pretty successful and everyone worked hard and it was my way of thanking them.
Now if I was forced to do so I would not be so happy about it. There are a lot of things I to do when it comes to help others. I don't like being forced to help others.

I'm sure there are different rules/policy for small businesses. Large corporations can and should be able to afford it.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:24 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I'm sure there are different rules/policy for small businesses. Large corporations can and should be able to afford it.
Based on your vast understanding of large businesses? It seems everyone's thought process around these types of things involve highly compensated tech workers. In many fields the money is simply not there. The average line worker does not produce nearly enough in economic value for the money to be there.

ANother thing worth major consideration is the fact that this would likely make things WORSE for mothers. What company in their right mind would hire a breeding age young woman if their required compensation was higher than the alternative?

Old 08-22-2015, 04:27 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Quote:
Saying it's wrong is short-sighted and does nothing to address that we need to support our mothers better, as a country. Birth rates amongst middle and upper class educated women is at an all time low. We cannot work and have a newborn at the same time. It's unhealthy and inhumane. How is this any different than vacation time, or any other benefit?
Childfree movement is gaining popularity with my generation and Gen x.
Some people are not meant to be parents like me!

Old 08-22-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Based on your vast understanding of large businesses? It seems everyone's thought process around these types of things involve highly compensated tech workers. In many fields the money is simply not there. The average line worker does not produce nearly enough in economic value for the money to be there.

ANother thing worth major consideration is the fact that this would likely make things WORSE for mothers. What company in their right mind would hire a breeding age young woman if their required compensation was higher than the alternative?
It works for European countries.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
It works for European countries.
"works"?

EU per capita GDP ~$35,000
US per capira GDP ~$55,000

Old 08-22-2015, 04:35 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
A few differences:
3-4 weeks versus 9-16 months.
You can control when people take vacation.
Everyone gets vacation, regardless of gender or parent status.

They are biggies. By the way, is there any limit on how many times you envision it being taken or what amount of time must be between times? I am two that are 18 months apart, with the 9 month child raising leave I would be off 9 months, work 9 months, then be off 9 months in a 27 month time period. The 16 month variety would only have me working for 2 months in a 27 month time period - 27 months of fulltime pay for 2 months of work, yeah, that seems fair.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
"works"?

EU per capita GDP ~$35,000
US per capira GDP ~$55,000
Buddy, you need post a link of it.
My dad work for continental which base in Germany.He gets a brunch of days off if he needs to as long he does his work.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Buddy, you need post a link of it.
My dad work for continental which base in Germany.He gets a brunch of days off if he needs to as long he does his work.
European Union | Data

United States | Data

Your dad worked for an Airline I think we can safely assume he was not a menial laborer. High skilled employees get much better benefits than low skilled. There is a reason we do not buy alot of consumer products form the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events