Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 12:54 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This has nothing to do with traffic tickets or whatever else he may have done.

He was not given the care and treatment required by law and a number of guards will be disciplined\fired, the family will receive a settlement and that's it.

It's pretty open and shut.

I do agree that the media and some others have played up the "unpaid traffic ticket" angle a bit and that's not helping the discussion either.
Well stated.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:13 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
We are all the sum of the choices we've made.

Sad, but true.
Then we should see quite a string of indictments for major charges of homicide. The choice of neglect when there is video monitoring showing a person in such a condition is murder.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:16 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Reading comprehension issues?

Read my post again before rolling your eyes.
It was the last line of your post that made my eyes roll...it makes it sound like you think that was serious enough a charge to warrant what they did to him.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:42 PM

5,862 posts, read 3,301,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Frankly, this does not sound like you at all.
LOL,,,I am wincing at the thought! I had one time a prisoner that I locked up for menacing. He over the course of the evening before ingested a tremendous amount of cocaine. So anyway I have him in the cells and I really don't think he is doing well. I go to the desk Sgt and ask him to have the prisoner removed because I think the prisoner is having withdrawals or is OD. So we go back and forth for a while. We were low sectors and he didn't want to pull a car out of service to have this guy go the hospital. So finally after much convincing he said ok lets get him to the hospital. Wouldn't you know it when this prisoner gets to the hospital he ends up in a drug induced coma. BTW he ended up living. However if I left him in the cells he would have died. Again like I stated before the county is saying that they refuse to settle and will go to trial. Guess you have to see how this one plays out!!

Old 09-26-2015, 02:03 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
This post makes no sense. I had written: "This is SO wrong, so sad, and so unforgivable, but the fact remains that if he had been a responsible adult, this would not have happened. I feel much sorrier for nursing home patients who die from neglect or for children who die in wars or because of a drive-by shooting than I do for people like Mr. Stocjevski. (But, to be clear, I am not excusing the guards or anyone who should have been responsible for seeing to his welfare. They failed to do their job, and they should be punished for it.)

So, yes, I do think that adults should behave responsibly, but what exactly was I defending or justifying?

What part of "they [the guards] should be punished for it" didn't you understand?
A poster already explained the flaws in your post and face value assumptions, I can't make it any clearer for you.

But who cares, right?

Old 09-26-2015, 02:03 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
LOL,,,I am wincing at the thought! I had one time a prisoner that I locked up for menacing. He over the course of the evening before ingested a tremendous amount of cocaine. So anyway I have him in the cells and I really don't think he is doing well. I go to the desk Sgt and ask him to have the prisoner removed because I think the prisoner is having withdrawals or is OD. So we go back and forth for a while. We were low sectors and he didn't want to pull a car out of service to have this guy go the hospital. So finally after much convincing he said ok lets get him to the hospital. Wouldn't you know it when this prisoner gets to the hospital he ends up in a drug induced coma. BTW he ended up living. However if I left him in the cells he would have died. Again like I stated before the county is saying that they refuse to settle and will go to trial. Guess you have to see how this one plays out!!
Such a good thing you took action when you did.

I think you are the one who earlier said there must be much more to the story that we're not getting at this point, and I agree. The fact that the county is saying they won't settle ~ is this significant or just posturing on the part of the agency?

How & why did they allow the closed circuit video to be released? The more I think about it, the worse it gets.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:24 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
As humans we are prone to make many mistakes starting as little toddlers up to Adulthood.

A day does not go by that a person has NOT made an error of sort....part of our nature.

So we have the Money Police to look out for the mistakes while a person is driving......spend a morning in traffic court.

Just heard yesterday where a Van was pulled over for a violation and it pulled away and a Police chase started.

Seems that the van was loaded with illegals and 6 died and 7 were in injured when the van rolled over a few times.

The money was more important for a traffic ticket so 6 peoples lives were taken in it's place....ticket Paid in Full.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:44 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25
Watch this video. Watch a man, who was in the midst of addiction and rehab, die on a cold, cement floor with other human beings watching it, failing to do anything about it. Watch him die over a traffic ticket. Watch him die when it was recommended, quite clearly and in black and white, for this man to be placed in the detox unit. Watch him die and ask yourself if this is how we want to treat our fellow human beings.
Yes its very sad.......... When In Jail/prison they dony care about anyone.... They only see the bad they have done!!

Poor guy

Old 09-26-2015, 03:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
This sort of thing is why I have contempt for the police in traffic situations. All they do is harass you over stupid technicalities that have about as much to do with safety as Kardashians have to do with taste.

Now, some have mentioned his ticket was careless driving, but the same thing can happen over going 0.05 mph at a stop sign (really, we're going to nitpick that they didn't stop all the way, it's not like they zoomed through and almost ran someone over) or for not wearing a seat belt (a totally communist law if there ever was one, and I don't care that the law has now been around for 30 years, it's still wrong). It's all you can do to drive and not be harassed by those "prick-heads" on motorcycles while just trying to live your life getting around (really, the helmets on their heads imply that the word which rhymes with "prickheads" is in fact what they are being in those situations, how many times I've wished a big 18-wheeler would loose control of its brakes and turn them into roadkill). To me, unless you're DWI'ing or blowing through a stop sign or light at real speeds (not 0.05 mph) or driving slowly in the fast lane, they ought to leave motorists the heck alone and stop personally harassing them and separating them from their money under the guise of "safety."
It's all you can do to drive and not be harassed? Clearly, there's something terribly wrong with your driving! I haven't been pulled over in almost 10 years. The 2 times I have been pulled over and given a ticket, I was 100% in the wrong. The 3rd one I still disagree with and the area is known locally for causing problems for outsiders....Just paid the fine and moved on with my life. Much easier than holding onto the anger you seem to have. Wishing death on someone is just not normal or healthy.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:53 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,240,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Maybe they had already bailed him out or helped him at their expense too many times in the past. I don't know the history between the family & this guy, but neither do you. I wouldn't be too quick to judge the family, when the blame for this man's death clearly needs to be elsewhere. If the authorities have to pay out a large settlement over this, then perhaps they will clean up their act so it doesn't happen again.
I agree we don't know what this son put his parents through. We don't know if they were at the end of their rope with his troubles. But if this young man was trying to get off drugs, I as a parent would visit them to check on their wellbeing. If I hadn't, I would want those who didn't care for him to be punished. I couldn't take any money. I come from a grandmother who kept her sons death money for over 30 years, refused to spend a penny even if needed. She didn't want to profit from her beloved sons death.

I would sue, but the money would go into training so this will never happen again. I'm not blaming the parents, I bet they've gone through hades and back. I cant imagine having 2 sons addicted. But I couldn't profit either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events