Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:06 PM

16,551 posts, read 8,592,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I guess this cop was just being foolish, too.

The officer in the OP is an Army vet. She might do better in a fight than some of her male colleagues.

The officer in your link was in a no win situation. If she fought back, she would be accused of hitting a defenseless kid. No way to win that one.
First of all, I don't care for any LEO making a fool of themselves whether it be a man or not. The LEO's of yesteryear did a great job policing, but would never be caught doing something silly in uniform. The badge and what it represents should not be diminished by someone acting the fool all in the name of "community relations".

As to a woman being an army vet, sure that gave her a little extra training. However that hardly qualifies her to be "fight better than some of her male LEO's". Lets not forget that the military has become a place for social engineering, and the standards are lowered to let them get through.
Just recently all sorts of people (including this OP) was falling all over themselves talking about the female rangers who made it.
Now it has come out that unlike the liberal PC feel good story, they were not treated the same. Big surprise.
Yet many a person is naïve enough (or not educated enough) in genetics, physiology, etc., to understand that women do not possess the bone density, strength, and other physical attributes to be equal to men in a fight.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
The OP had ample opportunity to change the title of the thread to reflect the OP but chose not to. It wasn't an oversight.

This was nothing more than an attempt to create a false analogy. Hey, cops don't need to use force to break up fights, look what this one did instead.

Not even close. Lets not pretent no one knows what was tried, the OPs posting history creates a clear picture of what was going on here.
Spot on

This OP has many a time claimed things like affirmative action does not allow unqualified people (women & minorities) to get jobs as firemen, police, military etc.
Just because they cannot believe it happens, they do not believe that even minorities with criminal records have been allowed to become LEO's, just to fill quotas under consent decrees by certain time tables established by the courts.
They have also claimed all testing is equal for women & minorities, despite many other posters providing links, verifiable stories and personal experiences.
Then when the heat gets too hot, they simply claim not want to debate and leave the discussion.
But that does not keep them from starting new related threads trying to promote the same discredited beliefs in equality.

So while they are certainly allowed to do so, it does not prevent other posters pointing out the folly of those misinformed beliefs. After all, that is what civil discussion/debate is all about.

`

Old 10-30-2015, 11:20 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Vector and Year:

https://notjustaboutfootball.files.w...er-waldorf.jpg

Old 10-30-2015, 11:21 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First of all, I don't care for any LEO making a fool of themselves whether it be a man or not. The LEO's of yesteryear did a great job policing, but would never be caught doing something silly in uniform. The badge and what it represents should not be diminished by someone acting the fool all in the name of "community relations".

As to a woman being an army vet, sure that gave her a little extra training. However that hardly qualifies her to be "fight better than some of her male LEO's". Lets not forget that the military has become a place for social engineering, and the standards are lowered to let them get through.
Just recently all sorts of people (including this OP) was falling all over themselves talking about the female rangers who made it.
Now it has come out that unlike the liberal PC feel good story, they were not treated the same. Big surprise.
Yet many a person is naïve enough (or not educated enough) in genetics, physiology, etc., to understand that women do not possess the bone density, strength, and other physical attributes to be equal to men in a fight.
The whole point of these stories is that there are some LEOs who are working to improve the relationship between law enforcement and the community. If it takes skipping rope, dancing, or tossing a football to do that, I am all for it.

Note that I did not say that the woman in the dance video could fight better than all of her colleagues, but it is certainly possible she might do better than some of them (perhaps older and having consumed too many doughnuts).

You may continue to insist that the women who graduated from Ranger school were "not treated the same". The men who went through the course with them are saying that is not true. Since they were there, I'll take their word for it.

Sometimes you do not have to be bigger, just better.

Video: Brazilian mugger pleads for 'daddy' after trying to rob professional female MMA fighter - Telegraph

Old 10-30-2015, 11:53 PM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree and I would have edited if I could have, but it was not intentionally misleading or deceptive or I would have asked a mod to change the title.
No worries. Most of us understood the intention. Sometimes coming up with a thread title is tricky.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:07 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Community Oriented Policing

C.O.P.

Good on her, it's a nice change from the all too often bad COP stories.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Note that I did not say that the woman in the dance video could fight better than all of her colleagues, but it is certainly possible she might do better than some of them (perhaps older and having consumed too many doughnuts).

You may continue to insist that the women who graduated from Ranger school were "not treated the same". The men who went through the course with them are saying that is not true. Since they were there, I'll take their word for it.
I see, so you are just willing to blindly take the word of a few soldiers interviewed?
Did it ever dawn on you that they would give politically correct answers so as to not potentially damage their own careers?

How about reading beyond the headlines which problably align with your own beliefs;

But whereas men consistently were held to the strict standards outlined in the Ranger School's Standing Operating Procedures handbook sources say, the women were allowed lighter duties and exceptions to policy.

• Women were first sent to a special two-week training in January to get them ready for the school, which didn't start until April 20. Once there they were allowed to repeat the program until they passed – while men were held to a strict pass/fail standard.

• Afterward they spent months in a special platoon at Fort Benning getting, among other things, nutritional counseling and full-time training with a Ranger.

• While in the special platoon they were taken out to the land navigation course – a very tough part of the course that is timed – on a regular basis. The men had to see it for the first time when they went to the school.

• Once in the school they were allowed to repeat key parts – like patrols – while special consideration was not given to the men.

• A two-star general made personal appearances to cheer them along during one of the most challenging parts of the school, multiple sources tell PEOPLE.

The end result? Two women – First Lts. Kristen Griest and Shaye Haver – graduated August 21 (along with 381 men) and are wearing the prestigious Ranger Tab. Griest was surprised they made it.

"I thought we were going to be dropped after we failed Darby [part of Benning] the second time," Griest said
at a press conference before graduation. "We were offered a Day One Recycle."

Female Rangers Were Given Special Treatment, Sources Say : People.com

I picked a liberal source for the story, lest you think it was biased/misogynistic reporting against the poor women.
This is nothing new. For decades police & fire departments have passed women when failing men for the same testing.
Either that, or all the standards were lowered to allow women to get on. The result of course with those type of actions are that it allows unfit men to also get hired. So the nonsense of saying some of the men that woman works with could lose to her in a fight, is like saying lets compare to the lowest common denominator, and use that as a bench mark. Any of those male cops who could be taken by her shouldn't be on the force either!
(BTW) - I have always believed that fat, out of shape cops and firemen have no business in the field or even on the departments. Stay in shape of get find another job. Yet many a fat cow is on the departments, both men & women.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:39 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post

Do you however think that dancing, playing music and laughter is how to break up fights?
It can be a method that can sometimes work. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:49 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I see, so you are just willing to blindly take the word of a few soldiers interviewed?
Did it ever dawn on you that they would give politically correct answers so as to not potentially damage their own careers?

How about reading beyond the headlines which problably align with your own beliefs;

But whereas men consistently were held to the strict standards outlined in the Ranger School's Standing Operating Procedures handbook sources say, the women were allowed lighter duties and exceptions to policy.

• Women were first sent to a special two-week training in January to get them ready for the school, which didn't start until April 20. Once there they were allowed to repeat the program until they passed – while men were held to a strict pass/fail standard.

• Afterward they spent months in a special platoon at Fort Benning getting, among other things, nutritional counseling and full-time training with a Ranger.

• While in the special platoon they were taken out to the land navigation course – a very tough part of the course that is timed – on a regular basis. The men had to see it for the first time when they went to the school.

• Once in the school they were allowed to repeat key parts – like patrols – while special consideration was not given to the men.

• A two-star general made personal appearances to cheer them along during one of the most challenging parts of the school, multiple sources tell PEOPLE.

The end result? Two women – First Lts. Kristen Griest and Shaye Haver – graduated August 21 (along with 381 men) and are wearing the prestigious Ranger Tab. Griest was surprised they made it.

"I thought we were going to be dropped after we failed Darby [part of Benning] the second time," Griest said
at a press conference before graduation. "We were offered a Day One Recycle."

Female Rangers Were Given Special Treatment, Sources Say : People.com

I picked a liberal source for the story, lest you think it was biased/misogynistic reporting against the poor women.
The PEOPLE article has already been discredited. It's poor journalism with anonymous sources.

The women performed the same duties as the men. Their packs were no lighter. One male Ranger student describes two women carrying the heavy weapon and the radio for their team - in addition to their packs.

There was no "special school" for the women. It's a standard offering:

https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/c...+COURSE&phase=

They got no special training with a Ranger. The two who graduated first were West Point grads. I guarantee they already were familiar with land navigation and they had already been trained at WP by men who are Rangers.

Repeating parts of the course is common. Two men were offered the Day 1 recycle and declined to do it. Three women took the offer.

GEN Austin routinely monitors Ranger training. It's part of his job.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...facebook-post/

Two women have earned Silver Stars:

Leigh Ann Hester, Iraq, 2005:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Ann_Hester

Monica Lin Brown, Afghanistan, 2007:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monica_Lin_Brown

Quote:
This is nothing new. For decades police & fire departments have passed women when failing men for the same testing.
Either that, or all the standards were lowered to allow women to get on. The result of course with those type of actions are that it allows unfit men to also get hired. So the nonsense of saying some of the men that woman works with could lose to her in a fight, is like saying lets compare to the lowest common denominator, and use that as a bench mark. Any of those male cops who could be taken by her shouldn't be on the force either!
(BTW) - I have always believed that fat, out of shape cops and firemen have no business in the field or even on the departments. Stay in shape of get find another job. Yet many a fat cow is on the departments, both men & women.
You have the idea that there is no way any woman could be fit enough to be law enforcement officer or serve in an elite military unit. Every woman could not do it, but there are some who can. Given the opportunity, they will prove it.

I did not say that the woman in the dance video could take on one of her fellow officers. I said that she could be better able to take down a male suspect better than a less fit male officer.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:08 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,347,291 times
Some people like arguing just for the sake of it. It's also kind of funny that the folks who are upset with this cops behavior aren't even cops, but are the same ones who chant "anti-cop" every three seconds.

"Rail we don't agree most of the time. However I do agree with you. I wish people in here would really understand how much the cops care about the communities that they police. Remember the communities that the cops police is their office. I cant tell you how many times I did thing that would prevent future problems for the residents that I worked. I loved my community where I worked and I would do anything to help the residents there." -Retiredcop111

//www.city-data.com/forum/41751925-post60.html

From someone who actually did the job.

SMH at this petty nonsensical bickering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events