Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
This is such an ignorant statement.

To save myself a long winded response, just educate yourself on Amsterdam and "Smart" Shops.

No drug, ever, regardless of legal status, will be sold at gas stations if handled properly. If you're going to use the "Bath" salts argument, note that it is supposed to be incense, and not for human consumption. Also note it is prohibition that has lead to the rise in the lab based synthetics. Unregulated, lab created monsters.
Oh, yeah … ???
Who are YOU to tell people what they may or may not introduce into their own bodies … ???

But, yes …
An entirely "legal" drug, widely recognized as a MAJOR public health problem is indeed "sold at gas stations" just about everywhere …
(hint: nicotine -- smoked; chewed; inhaled from "vapor" devices) …

Again … I think that "legalization" is a crappy idea … "Decriminalization," yes ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 10:05 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Again … I think that "legalization" is a crappy idea … "Decriminalization," yes ...
I can't get behind you on that.

If I understand you right, what you are saying is that if you are caught with contraband you will be forced to go to treatment and/or rehab instead of going to jail and receiving a criminal record. But all other aspects of prohibition would remain the same.

The biggest problem with that is it keeps the black market intact. All the drug wars south of the border would continue, heroin overdoses would continue due to inconsistent quality, and our tax money would be continued to be spent at a rate of billions per year fighting the drug cartels.

It also is a bit inconsistent with a statement you made earlier. You said in the right situation, with the right people, you might take a hit or two. Does that mean that if you were then reported to the authorities for doing it, forcing you into rehab would be the right course of action?

Old 11-11-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I can't get behind you on that.

If I understand you right, what you are saying is that if you are caught with contraband you will be forced to go to treatment and/or rehab instead of going to jail and receiving a criminal record. But all other aspects of prohibition would remain the same.

The biggest problem with that is it keeps the black market intact. All the drug wars south of the border would continue, heroin overdoses would continue due to inconsistent quality, and our tax money would be continued to be spent at a rate of billions per year fighting the drug cartels.

It also is a bit inconsistent with a statement you made earlier. You said in the right situation, with the right people, you might take a hit or two. Does that mean that if you were then reported to the authorities for doing it, forcing you into rehab would be the right course of action?
Not everybody who uses a recreational (life stye) drug has problems with it (think, e.g.: caffeine; alcohol; etc.) …

But, yes, persons who do have demonstrable problems with their drug use -- of ANY drug -- should have opportunities for treatment … rather than jail …

But … I notice that you simply don't bother to address the NUMBER ONE recreational drug problem in America: nicotine, which is indeed "legal" -- and as addictive as heroin !!! -- and is sold just about everywhere casually over the counter ...

Old 11-11-2015, 10:17 PM

But … again …

IF we're going to "legalize" MaryJane, then WHY NOT also "legalize" other recreational drugs such as heroin, LSD, crack, PCP, 'shrooms, "bath salts," etc., etc. …

WHY … NOT … ???
(hint: sending folks to the slammer for THOSE drugs hasn't "worked," either, has it … ???)

Old 11-11-2015, 10:24 PM

Some of us have been around long enough to have real life memory of the "drug culture" of the 60s …

Some of the "Hippies" were busy experimenting with literally EVERYTHING (and I truly do mean EVERYTHING -- smoking banana peels; injecting peanut butter … !!! Yes, they tried ALL that stuff …)

One easily obtained mind altering substance was Morning Glory seeds, which contain a mild natural psychedelic … In response to the drug fears, seed companies quickly began soaking Morning Glory seeds in a chemical which induces vomiting in humans … RATS … !!!

A LOT of the "drug culture" -- then and now, on both sides of the zealotry -- is/was based on naiveté, IMHO ...

Old 11-11-2015, 10:30 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
There is no need. There is no such thing as a lethal THC overdose. There is not even one documented case in the history of mankind. The reason this is true is THC is NOT A POISON OR TOXIN, as some others here will try to lead you to believe.
I know that THC is not a poison or a toxin, but anything (even water) presents a toxicity hazard if it is present in the human body in a great enough quantity. So while I'm sure that the probability of a THC overdose is almost nil, I know that the possibility exists, even though it is admittedly remote. Thus, I'd like to know just how much somebody would have to have on board in order to OD.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Yes one plant only buds 1 time, you basically destroy the plant for the harvest. and I agree, 3 plants is not really enough for someone to get what they need, but 50 plants is crazy for personal use.

Without looking it up, I believe the actual law in Colorado is that you can have up to 18 plants for personal use, 6 in the flowering stage, and 12 in the pre-flowering stage, which is a little high for what I believe most people can use, but is not totally out of line.
Good. Since CO is the guinea pig, it's important that they get this right.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:29 AM

231 posts, read 213,134 times
A plain and simple fact is that this is your life.
You are not watching a movie.
One day you might just wake up to the fact that you have spent the better part of your life getting high.
(Sometimes daily)
To me that would be as sad as waking up realizing that you've spent your life as an alcoholic getting loaded. (Sometimes daily)

Wake up and face reality.
Or is that just too difficult?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:13 AM

321 posts, read 419,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Not everybody who uses a recreational (life stye) drug has problems with it (think, e.g.: caffeine; alcohol; etc.) …

But, yes, persons who do have demonstrable problems with their drug use -- of ANY drug -- should have opportunities for treatment … rather than jail …

But … I notice that you simply don't bother to address the NUMBER ONE recreational drug problem in America: nicotine, which is indeed "legal" -- and as addictive as heroin !!! -- and is sold just about everywhere casually over the counter ...
This is legitimately the best thing I have ever read that you have posted here. I 100% agree.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:38 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
A plain and simple fact is that this is your life.
You are not watching a movie.
One day you might just wake up to the fact that you have spent the better part of your life getting high.
(Sometimes daily)
To me that would be as sad as waking up realizing that you've spent your life as an alcoholic getting loaded. (Sometimes daily)

Wake up and face reality.
Or is that just too difficult?
Lighten up Tex. Should Seth Rogan, who writes and works while high, face reality and stop foregoing the millions he's making in movies?

You sound like my sober friend Jon who criticizes me for smoking pot. Yet he can barely make $40K when he can hold a job, I'm close to a comfortable early retirement based on my own hard work, savings, and investment. But I'm the problem stoner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events