Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 10:08 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You think that most people smoking pot want to grow it? They can't read the instructions or flip on the light switch without laughing at themselves, just how are they going to grow it?

None of the illegally grown pot ends up getting sold in states where it is legal because people can grow it in their backyards? Hilarious.

In colorado "Grow your plants in a secure, enclosed location: Planting your ganja in your garden -- even if it's locked -- isn't good enough to meet regulations in Colorado. In order to grow cannabis lawfully, it'll need to be in a fully-enclosed location. This could be a basement, garage or greenhouse, but must remain closed off at all times (opening windows doesn't count as enclosed any more)."

Yeah, like everyone is going to do that. And when they aren't building a greenhouse or tending their plants, they might have time to get a job huh?
Hey sport. I've been smoking and growing for over 40 years without benefit or permission of the law in both Oregon and Hawaii. Have always been gainfully employed, owned my own business, been a multiple homeowner, landlord. built houses for a living. Never dealt, made many, many Christmas and birthday gifts for many happy people, never made a penny off pot. Most of my friends are similar. Paid my taxes. Will get my first S.S. check the day before Thanksgiving. You have no clue of reality. Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 10:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Why am I not surprised that is the spin you place on it?

The problem is PROHIBITION, not the plant. Think about it. 90% of all home growers are doing it ILLEGALLY because of prohibition. That virtually eliminates all communication channels, meaning possible solutions to the problem can't be communicated or implemented. It isn't like they can safely contact someone for a fix, and there is no way they can be safely contacted to be informed of the problem.

Just one more reason why it is time to end prohibition.
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

You brought up the problem about the grow light and the FCC right? Yes you did and in fact here is what you said:

(This would be you...)

"Here is something else to Google: Grow light EMI.

EMI is electromagnetic interference. It turns out that many home growers have started using cheap Chinese electronic ballasts for their grow light. The problem with them is that they put out so much radio interference that they interfere with radio communications for blocks all around them.

The problem is so bad, in fact, that the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) has petitioned the FCC to step in and do something about the problem. This is because in some places, as you drive down street after street you find that as many as 2 out of every 5 houses is generating the interference! All it takes is an AM radio to pick up the interference.
"

Since you brought up the problem, now you want to complain someone else decided go along?

That doesn't make any sense but your logic doesn't offer a lot of that anyway. It is full of holes, innuendo, anecdotal comments and such.

So, now there is a national problem with too much interference from grow lights and there are petitions to the FCC to investigate and find relief for people affected by it?

Since the interference from the grow lights comes from using non-compliant grow lights, why don't the people growing the marijuana use the right lights instead of lights that violate regulations?

Isn't radio part of the Emergency Broadcast alert system? Since marijuana growers are interfering with this safety and security feature of radio and most radio transmitters are done so in accordance with licenses and regulations, these marijuana growers are endangering many people who might rely on public alerts to disaster and so on because of the problems the grow lights are creating.

It seems violating laws and regulations go hand in hand with growing marijuana.

Lets not forget who brought up the FCC and grow lights interfering with radio - YOU.

Last edited by Mack Knife; 11-20-2015 at 10:23 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 10:34 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,341 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Since the interference from the grow lights comes from using non-compliant grow lights, why don't the people growing the marijuana use the right lights instead of lights that violate regulations?

Ok, I will try one more time to get through to you, but after this I am done. As I alluded to in a previous post, getting logic through to someone with a mindset like yours is impossible.

The majority people using the offending light ballasts do not have a clue that they are creating a problem.

I do know about it, so I use a more traditional magnetic ballast. They are not as efficient or as versatile as electronic ballasts, so most growers that are not as informed as I am purchase an electronic ballast when setting up their garden.

If there were a way to contact these growers en masse to inform them of the problem, many would indeed switch. But that is not possible, because prohibition makes safe communication impossible. If you don't understand why that is, please consider that in Oklahoma, for example, the maximum sentence for cultivation is LIFE IN PRISON. Even if you don't get a such harsh sentence, you will still lose your home if caught growing even a single plant, because of asset forfeiture laws. So obviously, home growers can be, and usually are, VERY stealthy. All because of PROHIBITION.

I do not know how to make it any clearer without drawing you a picture.

So let's get back to the point: After checking my facts, do you now at least admit that there is a large number of home growers that you never knew existed? If so, do you admit there may be other aspects of this subject in which your knowledge falls short? If so, do you now see how embarrassing some of your posts are when you act like you know what you are talking about?

Old 11-20-2015, 11:02 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Quote:
Ok, I will try one more time to get through to you, but after this I am done. As I alluded to in a previous post, getting logic through to someone with a mindset like yours is impossible.

The majority people using the offending light ballasts do not have a clue that they are creating a problem.

I do know about it, so I use a more traditional magnetic ballast. They are not as efficient or as versatile as electronic ballasts, so most growers that are not as informed as I am purchase an electronic ballast when setting up their garden.

If there were a way to contact these growers en masse to inform them of the problem, many would indeed switch. But that is not possible, because prohibition makes safe communication impossible. If you don't understand why that is, please consider that in Oklahoma, for example, the maximum sentence for cultivation is LIFE IN PRISON. Even if you don't get a such harsh sentence, you will still lose your home if caught growing even a single plant, because of asset forfeiture laws. So obviously, home growers can be, and usually are, VERY stealthy. All because of PROHIBITION.

I do not know how to make it any clearer without drawing you a picture.

So let's get back to the point: After checking my facts, do you now at least admit that there is a large number of home growers that you never knew existed? If so, do you admit there may be other aspects of this subject in which your knowledge falls short? If so, do you now see how embarrassing some of your posts are when you act like you know what you are talking about?
I'm still at a loss to explain or understand your personal attacks and animosity. That seems rather out of character for the type of people in favor of using and growing pot.

Even home garden vegetable growers know how to properly grow their veggies. Are marijuana growers so uninformed about what they should be doing that they create such problems?

Why is it that disobeying laws and regulations is so common among marijuana growers? You said that the problem is so great that there is a petition with the FCC to fix the problem and that in many places anyone can realize the problem just by turning on a radio.

If the problem is so easily known, then why don't the marijuana growers know about it too? Are they so self absorbed that all they care about is growing their pot plants and care less about what they do to others? How is that beneficial to anyone?

You really don't have any facts to check other than the one about marijuana growers causing problems to such a degree that the FCC is being petitioned to look into the matter. It seems that the pot plant growers don't care about anyone or anything else except growing their pot plants. This you've proven quite well.

On the one hand, there are so many pot plant growers that they cause a problem that requires the FCC get involved but on the other hand few of the pot plant growers know about the problem.

You suggested I google the problem but I wonder if perhaps it isn't they who should be googleing the problem too and then following the regulations instead of causing such a problem for other people.

It seems logic and pot plant growing don't go hand in hand but violating regulations and laws do. I guess you can remove the criminality from growing pot plants but you can't remove the criminality from the people that do so.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I guess you can remove the criminality from growing pot plants but you can't remove the criminality from the people that do so.
For you to come to that conclusion is absolutely ridiculous.

These imported Chinese ballasts do not come with a notice that they break the FCC's emission limits. In fact, they have all the proper stickers that indicate they comply with all FCC and UL rules.

So if you personally decided to set up your own indoor veggie garden, you would go to your local hydroponic supplies store, see your choices of light ballasts, and walk out with one of the Chinese ones. They offer the most features for the best price.

To spin that into purposeful criminal activity with intent, just because of your personal bias against cannabis growers, is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by Raddo; 11-20-2015 at 11:31 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 07:31 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
(1) Again, the question of the need for double blind clinical trials is DIFFERENT than the rushing push to "legalize" MaryJane willy-nilly based on anecdotes and testimonials …

(2) Again … The Libertarian call is ultimately for the "legalization" of ALL social/street/recreational drugs … Who are YOU to tell OTHERS what they may or may not put into THEIR bodies in the privacy of their own homes … ??? Crack … Heroin … "Bath Salts" … LSD … 'Shrooms … Crystal Meth … ???
I am talking about the studies, not legalization. The schedule one classification means the hoops scientists have to jump through to get any studies approved are much higher and require much more money than other drug testing. One group that was applying for a trial said they were requiring them to have security akin to Fort Knox, again because it is classified as a Schedule One dangerous drug, more dangerous even than cocaine or meth, which is as stupid as stupid can get. The only supply of mj they are allowed to use for studies is controlled by the government, and they make it very difficult.

About the Libertarian thing, again despite your much-loved camel parable, that is not the topic at hand, even if it was I don't agree it's opening any such door, and it is to me just a deflection and cop out argument.

Why It's So Hard For Scientists To Study Medical Marijuana | Popular Science

"Eighteen states (plus the District of Columbia) allow cannabis use for certain medical conditions. Despite that, scientists have a harder time doing research on the potential medical benefits of marijuana than they do on "harder" drugs like ecstasy or magic mushrooms. The public may think of pot use as no big deal, but federal laws make it difficult for researchers to obtain legal supplies. Clinical researchers can get permission from the DEA to grow or create restricted compounds like LSD, MDMA or psilocybin in the lab; not so with cannabis.
The Controlled Substances Act of 1970 placed marijuana in the most restrictive use category, Schedule I, deeming it a drug with no medicinal value and high potential for abuse. To do clinical research with marijuana, you need a DEA license, and you need to get your study approved by the FDA. When it comes to actually obtaining research-grade marijuana, though, you have to go through the National Institute on Drug Abuse, a process that has proved problematic for some researchers determined to study the potential medical benefits of pot....."

Old 11-21-2015, 07:41 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,085,769 times
Quote:
For you to come to that conclusion is absolutely ridiculous.

These imported Chinese ballasts do not come with a notice that they break the FCC's emission limits. In fact, they have all the proper stickers that indicate they comply with all FCC and UL rules.

So if you personally decided to set up your own indoor veggie garden, you would go to your local hydroponic supplies store, see your choices of light ballasts, and walk out with one of the Chinese ones. They offer the most features for the best price.

To spin that into purposeful criminal activity with intent, just because of your personal bias against cannabis growers, is absolutely ridiculous.
How about using... No hogging gratuitously.. Resources to grow dope inside with those grow lights... Multiple families consume less electricity then one grow... Lights fans filters pumps... Not to mention all the other environmental damage growers do...

Disgusting

Old 11-21-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
How about using... No hogging gratuitously.. Resources to grow dope inside with those grow lights... Multiple families consume less electricity then one grow... Lights fans filters pumps... Not to mention all the other environmental damage growers do...

Disgusting
Absolutely incorrect. Your knowledge is so limited that all you have to go by are the illegal grows that you bust. The legal granny 6-plant ones are small enough that your arguments do not hold water.

My indoor garden is in full swing as I type this. My most recent electric bill was $101.70. Not only that, the heat generated from the (single) light helps keep the propane furnace from running so often. I'm as "green" as it gets when it comes to conserving resources and being kind to the earth.

Please take your bunk to a different thread...

Old 11-21-2015, 09:48 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I am talking about the studies, not legalization. The schedule one classification means the hoops scientists have to jump through to get any studies approved are much higher and require much more money than other drug testing. One group that was applying for a trial said they were requiring them to have security akin to Fort Knox, again because it is classified as a Schedule One dangerous drug, more dangerous even than cocaine or meth, which is as stupid as stupid can get. The only supply of mj they are allowed to use for studies is controlled by the government, and they make it very difficult.

About the Libertarian thing, again despite your much-loved camel parable, that is not the topic at hand, even if it was I don't agree it's opening any such door, and it is to me just a deflection and cop out argument.

Why It's So Hard For Scientists To Study Medical Marijuana | Popular Science

"Eighteen states (plus the District of Columbia) allow cannabis use for certain medical conditions. Despite that, scientists have a harder time doing research on the potential medical benefits of marijuana than they do on "harder" drugs like ecstasy or magic mushrooms. The public may think of pot use as no big deal, but federal laws make it difficult for researchers to obtain legal supplies. Clinical researchers can get permission from the DEA to grow or create restricted compounds like LSD, MDMA or psilocybin in the lab; not so with cannabis.
The Controlled Substances Act of 1970 placed marijuana in the most restrictive use category, Schedule I, deeming it a drug with no medicinal value and high potential for abuse. To do clinical research with marijuana, you need a DEA license, and you need to get your study approved by the FDA. When it comes to actually obtaining research-grade marijuana, though, you have to go through the National Institute on Drug Abuse, a process that has proved problematic for some researchers determined to study the potential medical benefits of pot....."
I fully support the move for double blind clinical trials of ANY drug that shows potential for both safety and efficacy …

Since those trials have NOT been done, I do NOT support blanket "legalization" of MaryJane or of any other street/recreational/social drugs … but I DO support "decriminalization" ...

Old 11-21-2015, 09:51 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
States that have legalized medical marijuana and provide it through dispensaries to patients in need are seeing falling rates of deaths due to opiate-based narcotics...

Study finds medical marijuana may reduce opiate-based narcotic deaths, website reports | NOLA.com

Probably reduces crime related to prescription pain pills (guess what industry opposed medical marijuana).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events