Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 08:49 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The US does not want Russia involved in fighting ISIS.
And the US is buddy buddy with Turkey even though Turkey is playing both sides of the fence here.
Not sure I agree. Here's how I see this.

Every country involved there has it's own little agenda.

The US is interested in fighting ISIS but seems more interested (as far as Syria is concerned) in overthrowing Assad.

The Russians are interested in fighting the rebels (not limited to only ISIS) and helping Assad to stay in power. He's their man.

Erdogan may or may not be interested in fighting ISIS - they're Sunni just like him, I don't know if he sees them as a threat, an ally, or competition. He is however interested in getting rid of Assad who's a Shi'ite.

So all three powers - US, Russia and Turkey - have somewhat competing and somewhat overlapping priorities here.

US and Russia are not on friendly terms, and have different plans for Assad, but Putin is not going to take on the US armed forces and Obama will not attack the Russians. So there will be a lot of posturing and behind the scenes attempts at hurting the other side indirectly, but no open confrontation. And both see ISIS as a threat so while the US is secretly arming the non-ISIS rebels and Russia is secretly killing them, they both bomb ISIS as well.

US and Turkey are NATO allies and seem to have the common goal in overthrowing Assad. At the same time Erdogan has been trying to set himself up as the new Sultan of the Sunni world, he is supporting ISIS financially by buying their oil, and he's been acting pretty independently and often contrary to the US policies. So I doubt that the US would step in to bail him out if he escalates the situation with Russia into a shooting war, at least as long as the very survival of Turkey is not at stake. Although, I really don't know anymore where Obama's sympathies lie. But he's not the only one making decisions, thankfully.

So this leaves Russia and Turkey. They have no common goals and many competing ones.

Russia wants Assad to remain, Turkey wants him gone.

Russia sees Sunni rebels (not only ISIS) as a threat to their interests, Turkey seems to treat them as allies.

Russia and Turkey also have a long history of conflict going back centuries.

Most importantly, Putin and Erdogan had both built reputation for themselves as tough leaders that are striving to restore the former glory of their countries, and they both need to show their subjects that they have the balls to support that reputation. Both countries have powerful, advanced militaries. Russia is stronger than Turkey militarily, but it can't commit all of their air and naval strength to that region, and for Turkey it's home turf, so in case of a shooting war they would be rather evenly matched.

Russia has nukes but is never going to use them in a local conflict - Putin is not dumb.

So the way I see this, neither Russia nor Turkey would want a full scale war, but both Putin and Erdogan could benefit (internally) from a small armed conflict as long as they can spin it as their victory. And they are somewhat evenly matched in the region. So this could go either way.

Do I believe that the Russian planes have been repeatedly violating Turkish air space ? Of course. I've read about this weeks ago.

Do I believe that in this single incident there was no basis for shooting this particular plane down ? Yes. I think Erdogan was ready to show that he won't let Russians ignore him much longer, and used the first opportunity he got, legit or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 08:51 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Doesn't it seem odd to you that ISIS planted a bomb on a Russian airliner if Russia and ISIS are such good friends? It's not very hard to believe that the current U.S. administration had a hand in all of this, given Obama's dislike of Putin.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:53 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Ah, yes. Another paid Russian troll.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/26/wo...ghter-jet.html

Why does every news source outside of Russia say that the jet was in Turkish airspace for at least 5 minutes, with at least 10 warnings? Are they all lying?

And I love your "logic". No one is allowed to post anything without a news link, but you are allowed to post any sort of craziness, with no verified news links. Ah, propaganda!

It was warned to steer away to prevent it from entering the airspace. How long do you think it takes a jet to travel 2 miles? 5 minutes? look at the map on your link.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:55 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
I don't make any claims, and I have nothing to "prove."
Your claims: The jet circled a Turkish city
Realty: No

Claim: The jet was in Turkish airspace for minutes
Reality: That is one slow jet took minutes to travel 2 miles?

Claim: Isis and Assad are allies
Reality: lol wut.

Flight path courtesy of your link.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Doesn't it seem odd to you that ISIS planted a bomb on a Russian airliner if Russia and ISIS are such good friends? It's not very hard to believe that the current U.S. administration had a hand in all of this, given Obama's dislike of Putin.
If it's not Zionist's fault then it's America's fault...

Russia and ISIS are not friends. Russia is friends with Assad whom ISIS is trying to overthrow. They have been bombing all rebel positions, including ISIS. Russia's primary goal in the region is to keep Assad in power. If they can't keep him in power, they will try to negotiate a power transfer in which Assad remains free and unhurt, and they get to negotiate who replaces him. They are however the enemies of ISIS. The Russian plane was blown up probably because it was an easy target.

Besides, ISIS has been trying to expand the conflict to as many different countries as possible. They believe that the end of the world is coming and they are trying to hasten it.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:56 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,596 times
Quote:
I don't make any claims, and I have nothing to "prove."
You have made a lot of claims and then tell people to look it themselves when they question your source. You also have everything to prove when it is you making these claims.

Quote:
Are you unable to access the internet? Are you in Russia and blocked from seeing Western media?
I don't need to look up your claims as it is your job to prove it. It is up to you to prove your claims not anyone else.

Quote:
If you are honestly ignorant about Syria, and not one of the many paid Russian trolls on C-D, the NY Times is a good start. They are a very liberal paper, mind you, so actually less pro-Western than most Western media sources.
You lose credibility when you try to call people Russian trolls. The fact you are looking for liberal western sources shows how much you are lacking.

Quote:
Here's a summary of Russian actions in Syria. Russian bombing has strenghtened ISIS, as Russia has focused almost exclusively on NW Syria, which has mostly secular rebel groups and no ISIS:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...irstrikes.html

Here's a news article on ISIS, focusing on women in ISIS, and including info on their alliance with Assad. Basically ISIS and Assad have carved out separate fiefdoms within Syria and are cooperating with one another:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/wo...nd-escape.html
You still haven't proven your claim and Tussian has been bombing IS.

Russia destroys 472 ISIS targets in Syria bombing missions over the weekend | Daily Mail Online

Old 11-25-2015, 08:57 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
I will still eat Turkey for thanksgiving, I will not ban turkey or guns in my house.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:57 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times
Turkey is lying though. They agree the airspace was violated only for 17 seconds and claim they warned 10 times??? Did they use computer to warn 10 time sin 17 seconds?
A known non threat fighter jet at fast speed goes over border for few seconds and you shoot it down as if you are in a war???
That's excessive force.

Quote:
"Disregarding these warnings, both planes, at an altitude of 19,000 feet, violated Turkish national airspace to a depth of 1.36 miles and 1.15 miles in length for 17 seconds from 9.24.05 local time."

Read more: '17 Seconds': No One

Old 11-25-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Turkey is lying though. They agree the airspace was violated only for 17 seconds and claim they warned 10 times??? Did they use computer to warn 10 time sin 17 seconds?
A known non threat fighter jet at fast speed goes over border for few seconds and you shoot it down as if you are in a war???
That's excessive force.
Here's a Guardian article from almost two months ago about Russian planes repeatedly violating Turkish airspace.

Turkey 'cannot endure' Russian violation of airspace, president says | World news | The Guardian

There were many prior incidents. This time, Turkey was likely just looking for an opportunity to show that they won't be ignored any longer. It's very possible that this particular flight never even crossed into their airspace, or crossed for a very short time, but it was made an example of.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,596 times
Quote:
Why does every news source outside of Russia say that the jet was in Turkish airspace for at least 5 minutes, with at least 10 warnings? Are they all lying?
A U.S. official told CNN that a calculation shows the Russian jet was in Turkish airspace for 30 seconds or less.
Putin calls jet's downing by Turkey 'stab in the back' - CNN.com

Cevik said both planes then flew more than a mile into Turkey for 17 seconds. He said the nationality of the planes was unknown.

Russia to continue airstrikes near Turkey border

17 seconds" -- how long Russian jet spent in Turkish airspace according to Turkey's letter to UN Security Council

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUovzEUWwAA1o28.jpg:large

Tell us again that every news source say it was in Turkish airspace for at least 5 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events