Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, it is a shame American citizens have to resort to protest to get justice and a system that works for the people instead of only working for their own fellow cops. I think this is just a tad more important then shopping.
They can protest w/o hurting commerce, thats the point. All it does is anger people more, it doesnt help their cause when they block roads, etc.

Last edited by BIG CATS; 11-30-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 11:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We have a winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Great retorts, gentlemen. I'll reserve my energy for people who have taken an iota of time to educate themselves.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:15 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You need institutionalized racism and discrimination in order to have institutionalized outrage, at least in the way you are turning the discussion. By definition, that can not happen when victims are white.
Quote:
Great retorts, gentlemen. I'll reserve my energy for people who have taken an iota of time to educate themselves.
You are just a different kind of racist. I am not sure why you think you are better than any other racist, other than you have no problem with your racism.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
You are just a different kind of racist. I am not sure why you think you are better than any other racist, other than you have no problem with your racism.
This is rich.

How am I racist?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:22 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
They can protest w/o hurting commerce, thats the point. All it does is anger people more, it doesnt help their cause when they block roads, etc.
I think they have to get people's attention in order to effect real change, and again, going off somewhere where they didn't bother anyone would not have gotten them much attention or press.

Big deal, a rich lady couldn't go to Nordstrom's on one day. The strip they blocked is not regular stores it's Chicago's answer to Beverly Hills. I think they'll live, which is more than I can say for the man who was killed and got knows who many others killed and covered up over the years.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
This is rich.

How am I racist?
Quote:
You need institutionalized racism and discrimination in order to have institutionalized outrage, at least in the way you are turning the discussion. By definition, that can not happen when victims are white.
Apparently in your world it does matter what color the victim is. I am not sure I am more troubled that you would say such a racist thing or that you are not even able to understand how racist it is.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Apparently in your world it does matter what color the victim is. I am not sure I am more troubled that you would say such a racist thing or that you are not even able to understand how racist it is.
You are really not understanding what I meant, wrote or the context in which this conversation is taking place.

Someone brought up institutional outrage in regards to yet another black man being shot and killed by police, having it, yet again, covered up by TPTB until someone from the outside ripped the doors open and shined light on the issue.

White people can not, by definition, be victims of institutional racism in this society. Why? Because white people are the ones who are in power, who've been in power since we took this land away from the Native Americans, who've built the society we all inhabit, who've made the rules we all follow etc.

That is not a racist thing to say. It is a fact. The powers that be can not be discriminated against, by definition. Again - FACT. You may not like it, but it doesn't mean the statement is untrue nor does it mean the statement is racist.

We are talking about INSTITUTIONAL racism, not INDIVIDUAL racism. Two very different ideas.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You are really not understanding what I meant, wrote or the context in which this conversation is taking place.
You did not say that. As a matter of fact your statement was an absolute so even in this context the meaning is still the same.
Quote:
Someone brought up institutional outrage in regards to yet another black man being shot and killed by police, having it, yet again, covered up by TPTB until someone from the outside ripped the doors open and shined light on the issue.

White people can not, by definition, be victims of institutional racism in this society.
OH, So now you are changing your statement. This is a typical racist strategy.
Quote:
Why? Because white people are the ones who are in power, who've been in power since we took this land away from the Native Americans, who've built the society we all inhabit, who've made the rules we all follow etc.
Wait what? More accusations against Whites? What about non-whites who "took this land away from the Native Americans? Like Spanish and the Buffalo soldiers?
Quote:
That is not a racist thing to say. It is a fact. The powers that be can not be discriminated against, by definition. Again - FACT. You may not like it, but it doesn't mean the statement is untrue nor does it mean the statement is racist.
It is also a racist belief to believe that all white people are the same. There are different types of white people and many have been discriminated against and some are still discriminated against.

Quote:
We are talking about INSTITUTIONAL racism, not INDIVIDUAL racism. Two very different ideas.
That may be but your inner racist is showing.

To clarify, you cannot fight racism with racism.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You did not say that. As a matter of fact your statement was an absolute so even in this context the meaning is still the same.

OH, So now you are changing your statement. This is a typical racist strategy.

Wait what? More accusations against Whites? What about non-whites who "took this land away from the Native Americans? Like Spanish and the Buffalo soldiers?

It is also a racist belief to believe that all white people are the same. There are different types of white people and many have been discriminated against and some are still discriminated against.

That may be but your inner racist is showing.

To clarify, you cannot fight racism with racism.
Yes, Spanish and Africans also took land but in the end whites were in charge of this land. There is no denying that.

I honestly don't care that you mistakenly believe me to be racist. I know I'm not and the people who matter (ie - not interwebz people) know that I'm not. The fact you refuse to engage in a respectful back and forth and possibly learn something isn't my fault.

As an aside, since you said "That may be (in regard to institutional racism)..." do you agree there is a difference between institutional racism and individual racism?

Also, I'm interested in how I changed what I said. Can you point out these discrepancies?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:46 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
^ Does institutionalized racism apply to ALL blacks? Because I certainly believe it has or does apply to SOME whites.

You're speaking as if what you say goes for everyone. Sweeping generalizations. ALL blacks are victims of institutionalized racism, ALL whites are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events