Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 08:44 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky305 View Post
You make a valid point. Certain posters on C-D keep saying BLM isn't about black( despite the name itself lol) but really about police and accountability. Where are these BLM protests, the blocking of streets and businesses when a unarmed white person is killed by police?

Furthermore the only change I have seem from these BLM protests is the losing of support due to their tactics. Even the this protest wasn't covered as widespread as they thought as I didn't even hear about it my state at all. Other news agencies talk about it for like 2 mins and then its gone.
I think this is because it's just like a public rant. There is no clear cut purpose or solution. I'm not even sure what they stand for because their message is just so general. "Don't treat blacks badly" isn't really a clear solution, it's just a rant. There are also so many variables in play like some of the victims committing crime and having victims themselves that you can't tell what they want exactly. If it's that white cops don't understand them and don't give them the benefit of the doubt they should be taking their efforts out into the community and trying to recruit more black officers. Maybe send only black officers into high crime neighborhoods with predominantly black populations. That way they will get more understanding if it's just about being black.

I heard they want "Freedom with segregation" but I'm not sure what that means really either. My state doesn't really have black and white neighborhoods so it would be difficult to facilitate such a feat.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...nt-really-want

It's not just me who is asking this question..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:51 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
http://www.usnews.com/cmsmedia/81/b6...-editorial.jpg

Old 12-01-2015, 10:06 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
What exactly do you think this will accomplish? Or, what is it that you hope to accomplish by protesting? People who step into criminal activity set themselves at risk of altercation either with the police or another criminal. How exactly do you think either of those professions are going to take the time to assess how far the perp would be willing to go?
What do you want to see come out of these protests? I'm assuming you are part of BLM since you seem to represent them throughout cd.
I am not a part of BLM. My hope for accomplishment would be to have the cover up itself be focused on, and who ordered the cover up, and who erased the tape and who ordered that, that THOSE people would be prosecuted, that once and for all we get some accountability at the top, because that tone is what is trickled down to the cops on the beat.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
And for the skillionth time, has BLM every protested when an LEO killed a white person? More whites than blacks are killed by police. The change you want to effect is apparently to allow blacks to commit crimes without any fear of police response. You should be careful what you wish for.

Mahalo
Actually in an ideal world, we the white citizens would be arm in arm with BLM protesting corrupt police departments. We are all Americans, why is it all only on them?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:14 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It is effective because here we are still talking about it. THAT is the point. I addressed black crime in an earlier post, there is nothing any protest can do about thuggery. THIS though they can effect change hopefully. ALSO for the millionth time this is NOT about black people, this is about every taxpayer in Chicago who pay salaries and taxes to a police department that shield's its own and erases security tape footage and lies and pays a cop's salary for a year before the tape is ordered to be made public and he's finally charged.

No one is suffering because they have to put off their trip to Cartier for a few days , you are way over-dramatic IMO.

Are you 100% sure that the police erased the security tape? Or maybe it wasn't kept because some security systems run on a loop and self erase. Oh wait, it's more fun to believe that the all police are corrupt. Blocking businesses on black Friday can cause serious damage to their bottom line sales for the year. Some of these business can earn 40% of their money for the year on black Friday. How is it fair penalizing innocent people who had absolutely nothing to do with what one individual did? Isn't that a terrorist mentality?

Did you also consider that the investigation was timed to end during bad weather to avoid what happened in Ferguson? It's way more fun to riot in warm weather and loot innocent store owners without wearing a winter coat isn't it?

CPD Superintendent McCarthy was just fired. There's a press conference going on right now.

Over dramatic? LOL Don't make me come over there. (Just a joke, not being serious here.)

Honestly I despise making innocent people suffer because someone is out for an eye for an eye mentality and there is no thought or regard to who gets hurt. There's that thug mentality again.

Last edited by animalcrazy; 12-01-2015 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Are you 100% sure that the police erased the security tape? Or maybe it wasn't kept because some security systems run on a loop and self erase. Oh wait, it's more fun to believe that the all police are corrupt. Blocking businesses on black Friday can cause serious damage to their bottom line sales for the year. Some of these business can earn 40% of their money for the year on black Friday. How is it fair penalizing innocent people who had absolutely nothing to do with what one individual did? Isn't that a terrorist mentality?

Did you also consider that the investigation was timed to end during bad weather to avoid what happened in Ferguson? It's way more fun to riot in warm weather and loot innocent store owners without wearing a winter coat isn't it?

CPD Chief McCarthy was just fired. There's a press conference going on right now.

Over dramatic? LOL Don't make me come over there. (Just a joke, not being serious here.)

Honestly I despise making innocent people suffer because someone is out for an eye for an eye mentality and there is no thought or regard to who gets hurt. There's that thug mentality again.
I'm not sure, no, but it certainly looks bad, considering the cops went to Burger King after the shooting, asked for the video tape, and spent several hours alone in a room with it. It certainly looks bad enough for a full investigation to be demanded.

Again I am not worried about black Friday, the people who shop at Cartier and other very high end stores (which is what Chicago's MM is) do not care about sales. It's not like they are going to Kay Jewelers in the mall if Cartier is closed for the day.

In any case, there are all sorts of reasons access to stores may be blocked for a day, I think this is more important. I see no conspiracy about warm weather.

None of the BLM protesters have looted anything.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:30 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
In my experience most people don't support BLM's common method of protest, at least the ones that predominantly make the news. Blocking people from entering stores, tunnels, forming a line of people across a highway and stopping traffic, and then people using BLM as an excuse to go rogue and burn things and loot. That's the most coverage on it I've seen. All negative.

Sure they're making the news - but what's it matter when they're making the news for negative reasons? They're making the news because they're pissing people off and doing obnoxious things. They can keep doing it all they want but don't for a second think it will get many people on their side. I'm just annoyed with BLM at this point. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'm sure shoppers were annoyed Black Friday because despite what ocnjgirl thinks, holiday/bargain shopping does matter to many people and they don't want to be inconvenienced by people protesting something that has nothing to do with them and their desire to shop on Black Friday.

So yes they're "making the news" but NOT in a good way. Not in a way that makes the majority sympathetic to their cause. They're being counterproductive IMHO.
This is probably the best answer in this entire thread!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:59 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Sure they did. If you get caught in a bad light, blame it on some one else. You where not there, so you can't say anyway. What I see in the News trumps your opinion any time. These people have no useful purpose. The more they appear, the more the people dislike them. If I am driving someplace, or out shopping, the last thing I want to see is these clowns blocking the road or getting in my way at the Mall. I see enough of them looking at the Looting and Rioting on TV.
"What I see in the news"

I think some people use the term "sheeple", for someone who can't think for themselves and believes every narrative spoon fed to them by the media.

I also see you conveniently left out the part of the post where you wished bodily harm to BLM protesters.

So, I'll put it in bold so you don't miss it.

Wishing bodily harm on individuals, who is the thug??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
In my experience most people don't support BLM's common method of protest, at least the ones that predominantly make the news. Blocking people from entering stores, tunnels, forming a line of people across a highway and stopping traffic, and then people using BLM as an excuse to go rogue and burn things and loot. That's the most coverage on it I've seen. All negative.

Sure they're making the news - but what's it matter when they're making the news for negative reasons? They're making the news because they're pissing people off and doing obnoxious things. They can keep doing it all they want but don't for a second think it will get many people on their side. I'm just annoyed with BLM at this point. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'm sure shoppers were annoyed Black Friday because despite what ocnjgirl thinks, holiday/bargain shopping does matter to many people and they don't want to be inconvenienced by people protesting something that has nothing to do with them and their desire to shop on Black Friday.

So yes they're "making the news" but NOT in a good way. Not in a way that makes the majority sympathetic to their cause. They're being counterproductive IMHO.
Thanks for making my point.

That's your problem, you, like the above poster, solely rely on the news to form some sort of "expert" opinion on a matter you really don't know anything about, instead of doing your own research. And we all know the MSM always presents things in the most fair, balanced and best possible light, and never has a narrative or agenda they want to present that will cause controversy and division, which will make the rich executives driving the bus richer.

You know what the media doesn't cover? The dozens of BLM gatherings that go off without a hitch, completely peaceful and don't impede anyone from driving or shopping. And how those peaceful gatherings are incredibly diverse in their support. You know why they don't get any coverage? Because it wouldn't turn into a thread on C-D that would end up being 100 pages.

This falls in line with the tired line of thought, "there were x black people murdered today by other blacks, I guess BLM doesn't care about those black lives", simply because they didn't see any coverage on it.

Really sad I have to continually make this point to adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
This is the post we were responding to:

When you said:

If you'd actually read what we were responding to before saying she was correct than you would know where you stand in the scale of what they say about ignorance.
IN THIS COUNTRY. What is difficult to understand about that?

Last edited by ATG5; 12-01-2015 at 11:19 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 11:13 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
And for the skillionth time, has BLM every protested when an LEO killed a white person? More whites than blacks are killed by police. The change you want to effect is apparently to allow blacks to commit crimes without any fear of police response. You should be careful what you wish for.

Mahalo
Thank you, also, for making my point.

White teen killed by cop gets minimal reaction from #AllLivesMatter movement

Quote:
The #AllLivesMatter movement has barely spoken about Zachary's death, nearly ignoring the fact that it happened. On the other hand, the Black Lives Matter movement has taken a clear stand, speaking up about the death of the 19-year-old and implementing their broader belief that every life matters.
But of course, since YOU didn't HEAR or SEE it covered on the NEWS, it didn't happen.

Where was the #alllivesmatter crowd on this? Where was the #copslivesmatter crowd when a white man and Hispanic woman tortured and murdered a cop in Abilene in September or the PP Clinic shooter who killed a cop last weekend?

The irony: Anti-BLM crowd claims BLM only cares about blacks and black "criminals" being killed by the police (not true), yet they seem to not care about a white life or a cop's life, unless the murderer is black. Ho. Hum.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm not sure, no, but it certainly looks bad, considering the cops went to Burger King after the shooting, asked for the video tape, and spent several hours alone in a room with it. It certainly looks bad enough for a full investigation to be demanded.

Again I am not worried about black Friday, the people who shop at Cartier and other very high end stores (which is what Chicago's MM is) do not care about sales. It's not like they are going to Kay Jewelers in the mall if Cartier is closed for the day.

In any case, there are all sorts of reasons access to stores may be blocked for a day, I think this is more important. I see no conspiracy about warm weather.

None of the BLM protesters have looted anything.

It was just on the news that the security tape at Burger King was "a mess." Just because you perceive something to be true doesn't make it so. I can't tell you how many times John had to try to decipher a messed up security tape in his investigations (retired police sergeant/evidence technician) only to discover that the tape was useless. Add to the mix that the incidence took place some distance from Burger King and at night makes perfect sense that the tape would be questionable. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I prefer the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth before I form an educated opinion. It's far to easy to fall in line with the media hype and jump on the lynch them mentality band wagon. I think that mentality is unfair and dangerous.

There is more then just Cartier on the mag mile. There was a black woman on the news expressing her disappointment having come all the way there to shop and not being able to get into the stores. What difference does it make which store is being inconvenienced If you have a high end store then it's okay to be punished for something you had no involvement in. What about that black woman who just wanted to shop? Was it okay to inconvenience her for something she had no involvement in as well? What about the people trapped in the stores that couldn't get out? Here we go with the it's all about me one size fits all mentality again. Shameful.

It was just on the news that the tape was released after the settlement because per legal advice the settlement could have been 15 million instead of the 5 million the family settled on. Timing is important and in this case pretty slick. It's also not much of a stretch to think that timing the information that was released to the public to coincide with colder weather would also be a reasonable response. I'm just wondering why they didn't wait a day or two more after black Friday?

Yes I am amazed that there was no looting, and very little violence. I'm glad the protesters remained civil and didn't take their anger out on innocent people. I wish they had been more thoughtful about inconveniencing innocent bystanders and businesses as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events