Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:46 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,493,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
The OP is about Palestinians specifically.
OH, sorry, I thought this was more of a what we know about violent Islamic extremists from Palestine so that we could hopefully learn how to handle it in the US. My bad.

In the US I am for all stick. In Palestine I do not care. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:32 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,569,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
That's a Man, baby

Old 12-07-2015, 10:55 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The rewards of martyrdom are just too damn good in Islam.
Yeah, women can look forward to choosing their own mate, and to a life free of sexual assault, according to interviews. How incredibly tragic, that these basic things are only the stuff of dreams!

Old 12-07-2015, 11:36 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
My take away from reading it is the higher ups are promising sex for the men and love for the women if they lose their lives. In addition they encounter so much violence at home that their quality of life is low enough to make suicide a more attractive option.
Nailed it.

These attackers are ignorant, desperate people who've experienced lives we can not imagine. This is not sympathy or forgiveness. Its just a statement of fact. Until we acknowledge the root cause of terrorism and extremism, we will not solve this issue. This is why education and awareness of our greater world is so important. We can no longer afford to live in a bubble. Excellent article OP.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:56 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,792,193 times
Quote:
I can't say for sure, but there have been enough legitimate psychological studies to show that people tend to behave in the way that they are told those around them expect them to behave. When a community alienates a whole segment of society based on their religious beliefs, some in that community are likely to get angry. I know you are going to think this means that I am excusing that behavior, but I vehemently am not. There is no excuse, NONE, for violence like this. But if our end goal is finding solutions to prevent violence rather than just holding on to our own ideologies, it would behoove us to understand the conditions that cause extremism to develop and make changes (where possible and practicable) to avoid that from happening. And that is what the OP's article is all about - listening to what the other side has to say, to see where it fits with the standard narrative and where it does not. Turns out, there isn't a whole lot of overlap between what "we" thought the problem was and the evidence this researcher has collected.

As for your description of living conditions in the West Bank and Gaza? You are so far off that your post is almost laughable - except it is not very funny.
People tend to do what their peer group does. The Joneses buy a hot tub - you think about buying one too. The Malik family moved from Pakistan to Saudi Arabia, and they became much more radically devout Muslims, because they lived in that "culture". The Farook family goes to the mosque and hears the Imam rail against Israel, and Jews in general, and they become anti-Israel and anti-Jewish.

My point is that when your peer group extols "martyrs" who die in the jihad to hasten the advent of the Islamic world order, it becomes more acceptable and likely for you to do the same. These are not lone wolves. These are simply the visible tip of the iceberg of ideological hatred.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:59 AM

19,854 posts, read 12,127,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's a Man, baby
That is what I see every time that picture is posted.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I can't say for sure, but there have been enough legitimate psychological studies to show that people tend to behave in the way that they are told those around them expect them to behave. When a community alienates a whole segment of society based on their religious beliefs, some in that community are likely to get angry. I know you are going to think this means that I am excusing that behavior, but I vehemently am not. There is no excuse, NONE, for violence like this. But if our end goal is finding solutions to prevent violence rather than just holding on to our own ideologies, it would behoove us to understand the conditions that cause extremism to develop and make changes (where possible and practicable) to avoid that from happening. And that is what the OP's article is all about - listening to what the other side has to say, to see where it fits with the standard narrative and where it does not. Turns out, there isn't a whole lot of overlap between what "we" thought the problem was and the evidence this researcher has collected.

As for your description of living conditions in the West Bank and Gaza? You are so far off that your post is almost laughable - except it is not very funny.
Here is a suppressed UN report on Palestinian living standards

CAMERA Snapshots: Missing UN Report on Palestinian Living Standards

The gist of the 2005 UN report is that Palestinian living standards were ranked higher than that of Algerians, Egyptians, Syrians, Moroccans, and Yemenis, and roughly the same as that of Jordanians and Tunisians.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
My take away from reading it is the higher ups are promising sex for the men and love for the women if they lose their lives. In addition they encounter so much violence at home that their quality of life is low enough to make suicide a more attractive option.
It's not "if they lose their lives". They don't get to go to paradise if they commit suicide. They don't get to go to paradise if they die accidentally, or from disease, or at the hands of their male family members in an "honor killing". They get to go to paradise only if they die IN THE ACT OF COMMITTING MASS MURDER against the people whom their religious leaders incite them to murder. The men don't speak of getting away from violence at home. They speak in a formulaic way of a promised paradise of eating fruit and honey (which they've got here on earth - but which was a desert dwelling 6th century person's idea of heaven), drinking alcohol (which they could do if they wanted to - except that their religion and society forbid it, make it difficult to obtain, and are threatened with ostracization and worse if they do drink alcohol), and most importantly, getting to have sex, lots of it, and with a variety of idealized partners - none of which their society and religion allow them to have here on earth!

As for the women, they uniformly talk about how in heaven they will be the most beautiful woman of all, and be allowed the freedom to choose whom they marry. One woman admitted that she was being raped by her older brother, whose family would not protect her from him. When she went to the Palestinian police, the policeman taking her report saw her as someone whom he could now pressure into having sex with him.

Yes, this is all in the Qur'an, but it has been for the past 1500 years. The reason we are now having this wave of Muslim suicide bombers/stabbers/shooters/hijackers is the systematized incitement to violence by a significant number of Muslim religious leaders throughout the world, spread by Saudi oil money amongst the Sunnis, and Iranian oil money amongst the Shiites.

We cannot fight this problem unless we recognize it. It's not random. It's not insanity. It's Islam.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:02 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,702,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
...We cannot fight this problem unless we recognize it. It's not random. It's not insanity. It's Islam.
Ah, no.

The Tamils are primarily Hindus and and a few are Christians. 222 of them killed themselves in 140 suicide bombings between 1987 and 2009 (according to my database).

Old 12-07-2015, 03:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
And Obama wants to give them free work visas. If you vote for the Dems, be prepared for more attacks on our soil because we let them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events