Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is jail time excessive for saggin your pants?
Yes 124 75.15%
No 41 24.85%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:30 AM

320 posts, read 353,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
This is racism. People need to respect other cultures and customs.

Pants Down. Don't Hate.
Cough cough--race baiter--cough cough

Just saw a kid walking down the street with his waist band almost at his knees and his shirt halfway off. I don't get who these punks are trying to impress I almost feel bad for them that they are stuck in some kind of wanna-be thug mentality that makes the way they dress so appealing to themselves and others. It's funny because in prison, that's how you showed other men you were gay and wanted to take it up the *ss. It's about time something is being done.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:29 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
Cough cough--race baiter--cough cough

Just saw a kid walking down the street with his waist band almost at his knees and his shirt halfway off. I don't get who these punks are trying to impress I almost feel bad for them that they are stuck in some kind of wanna-be thug mentality that makes the way they dress so appealing to themselves and others. It's funny because in prison, that's how you showed other men you were gay and wanted to take it up the *ss. It's about time something is being done.
But why do you CARE so much? Why are you SO angry? That's what's crazy....go about your business, if you have any.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:41 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I would guess they are going with the same principle NYC used when they started their broken windows theory. People scoffed at that too, but it worked, though I do think jail seems over the top in this instance.
It looks as though other sanctions were tried before they went that far, so maybe this was a last ditch effort to try to straighten these kids up, who knows? Boliver is a tiny every one knows everyone else kind of place, I want to know where the parents were and why they didn't handle their kids before it went so far.
Broken windows policing had little if anything to do with the drop in crime in NYC. If the fine people of this community in Tennessee are really this concerned about how kids dress they should adopt school uniforms, they could even use the money they squander on putting people in jail for 'saggy pants' toward buying uniforms for low income kids

Old 12-12-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
It's funny because in prison, that's how you showed other men you were gay and wanted to take it up the *ss.
It is not, the only place I ever even heard that before is when it was mentioned in this thread

Old 12-12-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But why do you CARE so much? Why are you SO angry? That's what's crazy....go about your business, if you have any.
Did I say I was angry? No I didn't....I care because it's degrading in general and typically it doesn't just stop there. No one wants to see someone else's rear end when they are in public or any other body parts that a shirt, shorts, or pants should cover.
It's the pants hanging off the azz + talking like they (those who choose to dress as such) are illiterate + vulgar language....It's just total disrespect and I mention it because people like this walk into my place of business, turn in an application, tell me they want a job.....and you know what I do with their application after they weeble wobble away? I file it with the rest of the garbage. And the biggest problem is that they don't realize they are role models for younger generations. It's just breeding a nation of wanna-be pimps. You wan't a job? Speak to me with enunciated words, dress professional (at least wear a belt), and maybe you will be taken seriously in life.
In addition, I happen to actually know people who used to dress that way, joking about it every now and then. They are embarrassed they even went out of the house like that.....just saying.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It is not, the only place I ever even heard that before is when it was mentioned in this thread
That information was given to me by multiple individuals who have been incarcerated and none of them know each other. My aunt and uncle who are also police officers mentioned it to me as well. Discredit or not, I don't care. It was told to me by valid sources.

I think it's about time that America held the younger generations to higher standards.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:07 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,281 times
As much as i don't like saggy pants "men" wearing "skinny" jeans glued onto themselves is worse. All the saggy pants wearers ive seen in my life all i could see is the top of their boxers. Yeah it's weird but with "skinny" jeans on men is extremely feminine why should we see the form of your turkey legs and arse? Seriously i'm not joking.

I think these laws are crazy though. It's ok for a woman to wear string bikinis so small that you can practically see everything (i'm not complaining though!) I'm a man. I'm sure it offends some women though.

So if you are going to make laws you need to include everyone that would offend others with their choice of how they dress not just the people who sag their pants.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:15 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I have mixed feelings about this. They were in jail for 48 hours. Not prison.
That's enough time for an involuntary HIV injection.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
That information was given to me by multiple individuals who have been incarcerated and none of them know each other. My aunt and uncle who are also police officers mentioned it to me as well. Discredit or not, I don't care. It was told to me by valid sources. I think it's about time that America held the younger generations to higher standards.
I don't care who told you that, it's absolute nonsense, it is from prison culture but has nothing to do with homosexual 'signalling'

From Snopes:

While sagging did gain its start in the U.S. prison system, it was not a clothes-wearing style authored by imprisoned homosexuals intent upon advertising their interest in casual flings. Sagging pants became the behind-the-bars thing thanks to ill-fitting prison-issue garb: some of those incarcerated were provided with clothing a few sizes too large. That oversizing, coupled with the lack of belts in the big house, led to a great number of jailbirds whose pants were falling off their arses. (Belts are not permitted in most correctional facilities because all too often the lifeless bodies of their inmate owners have been found hanging from them.)

Old 12-12-2015, 03:47 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Broken windows policing had little if anything to do with the drop in crime in NYC. If the fine people of this community in Tennessee are really this concerned about how kids dress they should adopt school uniforms, they could even use the money they squander on putting people in jail for 'saggy pants' toward buying uniforms for low income kids
Totally agree:

"Our research suggests that the 'broken windows model' doesn't effectively capture the origins of crime in a neighborhood," O'Brien said. "What's happening is that violent crime is bubbling out from the social dynamics of the community, out from these private conflicts that already exist, and then is escalating and spilling into public spaces."

Read more at: New research challenges 'broken windows theory' of crime prediction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events