Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is jail time excessive for saggin your pants?
Yes 124 75.15%
No 41 24.85%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:26 PM

36,508 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
No question for you. I agreed with your statement.

What I meant of the part of the quote you copied was (it was a question to those that thought it was great they were arrested.)

Boxer vs shorts? The butt is still covered. Does it matter what we call the undergarment? The thickness in the material of both are pretty similar and it doesn't expose bare skin.
My bad, senior moment I guess.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:02 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Im not understanding what the rationale for requiring uniforms is. I think there is a big middle ground. Most schools have a reasonable dress code that is followed by the students. There may be an occasional slip up that is addressed by a warning, sending the student home to change and if continued a meeting with the parents. Freedom of expression doesn't have to mean anything goes.

I'm glad our school board is open to input from parents, students and the community and not a dictatorship of "adults" who are most often very distanced from the school atmosphere and student needs. Probably the same "adults" who thought it was a good idea to have students arrested for wearing baggy pants to school.

If these few select kids were wearing their pants above their butts, where it belongs, there would be no need for this policy or harsh punishment.

Its kids like this that say screw the rules and do what they want that end up part of the criminal justice system because they feel they can do as they please whenever. If they wont listen to their teacher or school administrators as authority, they wont listen to anyone else once they graduate and are pretty much unhireable or gets fired very fast.

Notice its not 99% of the school kids getting in trouble for sagging their pants, its the few rebellious ones that know the school rules, yet IGNORE them and do as they please. There are consequences for breaking rules, even if they are extreme and stupid as sending a kid to jail for saggin pants. I dont believe people should be locked up for weed vs getting treatment, but the law is the law and if it is not followed, you will end up in jail.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:19 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I abhor the saggy pants fashion trend from an aesthetic perspective and can't take anyone seriously who chooses to dress that way. But if my city outlawed the look, I would totally start wearing it in protest (and hating every minute of it). If people want to look like idiots, I support their right to do it wholeheartedly.

Private businesses can feel free to establish a dress code, but local government? Oh hell no.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:25 PM

17 posts, read 7,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I abhor the saggy pants fashion trend from an aesthetic perspective and can't take anyone seriously who chooses to dress that way. But if my city outlawed the look, I would totally start wearing it in protest (and hating every minute of it). If people want to look like idiots, I support their right to do it wholeheartedly.

Private businesses can feel free to establish a dress code, but local government? Oh hell no.

Right you are. They look like idiots, they may BE idiots, but it's not government's job to make that decision or make rulings to regulate pants. They do have that right to look like idiots! LOL

Old 12-15-2015, 05:58 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Tennessee Teens Jailed For ‘Sagging’ Pants

Tenn. Teens Face Jail Time After Violating Saggy Pants Ban – Your Black World

As a black male, I think its a bit harsh, as jail isnt the answer for everything, but what might be needed to put a end to this stupid trend.

If you dont want to be targeted by the police, dont go out in public showing your underwear, its pretty simple. People will complain, it targets young black men and its racist or they shouldnt be told how to dress, when the simple solution is to just wear your pants above the waist the way the were intended.

No one wants to see some dudes underwear or imprint when you go to the grocery store or fast food place. If a woman were to sag her pants and walking around showing her panties, she would be arrested more than likely. You purposely have to go out of your way to sag your pants, so its not like people dont know what they are doing when they do it.
The only way you can combat it, is the work place. Many of our workers have been told "Pull them up or get fired" amazing how fast they will change when their paycheck is on the line. But when they're elsewhere..That's a different issue.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:12 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Tennessee Teens Jailed For ‘Sagging’ Pants

Tenn. Teens Face Jail Time After Violating Saggy Pants Ban – Your Black World

As a black male, I think its a bit harsh, as jail isnt the answer for everything, but what might be needed to put a end to this stupid trend.

If you dont want to be targeted by the police, dont go out in public showing your underwear, its pretty simple. People will complain, it targets young black men and its racist or they shouldnt be told how to dress, when the simple solution is to just wear your pants above the waist the way the were intended.

No one wants to see some dudes underwear or imprint when you go to the grocery store or fast food place. If a woman were to sag her pants and walking around showing her panties, she would be arrested more than likely. You purposely have to go out of your way to sag your pants, so its not like people dont know what they are doing when they do it.
Good grief! Is this still a thing? It's 2015. But maybe not, in Tennessee.

There was a white guy who wore his pants like that, during his job as a cashier at Whole Foods. Seriously, he'd be ringing up people's purchases while showing his underwear. He thought it was cool. Somebody must have complained, because it stopped eventually. Haven't seen him around there for a long time. Maybe they moved him out of Customer Service.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:15 PM

920 posts, read 931,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Poe!
*woosh*

Old 12-15-2015, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 634 times
The cure to this kind of attention seeking behavior (let's call it what it really is). Stem's from a lack of self-worth. Young people with low self-esteem will do just about anything to be accepted by others. Young men raised by engaged fathers who have taught their sons to find their self worth through excellence and achievement aren't having to contend with moronic issues like their sons wearing pants half-way down there ass.
Family courts have considered father's to only be good for one thing, financing mommy's lifestyle. It's time to respect the unique and important roles that both parents share and ensure both parents have equitable parenting time. Because parenting time is about being given time to parent. NO PARENTING TIME= NO PARENTING.
No Parenting= Young people with low self esteem and no direction.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
Town has a law.

You don't like the law.

You obey the law.

You work on getting the law changed.

Law gets changed, you are happy and get to do the formerly illegal thing.

OR

Law doesn't get changed, and you are disappointed but continue to obey the law and either get over your disappointment or try again to get it changed.

^^^ This is what mature people do. It's not as exciting. It won't win a suit, or get you on TV. But, it works.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:55 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,427 times
Interesting. They aren't showing any skin... but people are still offended.

What are their laws against cleavage?

I think I know what this odd law is really all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events