Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 02:40 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Congratulations, I guess? I don't see anything wrong with it.

I think the agent did a great job. She seemed to be explaining to the girl as she went along. I don't know if that's required but I think it was a good way to do it.
Ditto. It seemed to me like she wanted to make sure the girl wasn't frightened by the procedure, which probably added a wee bit of time. knowing that it would probably hit the media, because dad was taping, also likely caused her to make sure she was doing it by the book

Old 01-08-2016, 02:41 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The TSA hasn't been able to show that any of this security it really doing anything to help. It's all just for show at the expense of passengers...and somebody is making money from it, of course.
I flew once just a week or two after the "shoe bomber' incident, in which a Near-Eastern guy had a bomb in the heel of his tennis shoe that ignited on the plane. I was stopped and told to remove my Birkenstocks, and put them on the conveyor belt, but the people in front of me and right behind me, who had shoe-bomber-style shoes (!!) didn't have to take off their shoes. The TSA people didn't bat an eye at those. That freaked me out. Seriously, we just had a fairly major incident of a bomb concealed in a shoe, and they're STILL only checking shoes that have metal buckles??
So I asked about that. I was alarmed, and got a little loud about it. They kept repeating that those are the guidelines they've been given, so that's what they do. The fed gov't that issues those guidelines apparently has no concern about allowing that loophole.

UNBELIEVABLE! So yeah, it must be mainly for show. At least it creates a new source of employment for unskilled workers, I guess.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I flew once just a week or two after the "shoe bomber' incident, in which a Near-Eastern guy had a bomb in the heel of his tennis shoe that ignited on the plane. I was stopped and told to remove my Birkenstocks, and put them on the conveyor belt, but the people in front of me and right behind me, who had shoe-bomber-style shoes (!!) didn't have to take off their shoes. The TSA people didn't bat an eye at those. That freaked me out. Seriously, we just had a fairly major incident of a bomb concealed in a shoe, and they're STILL only checking shoes that have metal buckles??
So I asked about that. I was alarmed, and got a little loud about it. They kept repeating that those are the guidelines they've been given, so that's what they do. The fed gov't that issues those guidelines apparently has no concern about allowing that loophole.

UNBELIEVABLE! So yeah, it must be mainly for show. At least it creates a new source of employment for unskilled workers, I guess.
Also, the TSA seems to randomly select people. Rather than profiling (which IMO is what they should be doing), they like to seem fair by picking random small children and old ladies or people with a certain type of shoe to search rather than anyone who is slightly suspicious for any reason, or may potentially be a terrorist.

I was patted down in Italy, leaving Rome Fiumicino Airport to come back to the US. I was 18 years old at the time, obviously I'm a female, traveling with my female cousin of a similar age and my grandparents. None of them were selected to be patted down, yet I was. I was actually wearing the same clothes I wore on the flight to Italy, so nothing was on my body that hadn't been when I WASN'T patted down at Newark. They pulled me aside, barely speaking English so I couldn't ask questions, and a female patted me down, then they let me go. It was completely random and unwarranted, but whatever. No big deal to me, really.

I remember one time a few years ago I was flying to Tampa and I was wearing Adidas flip flops that have the foam on the soles, so they're more comfortable to walk on. I had to take them off and the TSA checked them out, I guess to make sure there was no liquid hidden inside. Nope, just comfort foam.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I remember one time a few years ago I was flying to Tampa and I was wearing Adidas flip flops that have the foam on the soles, so they're more comfortable to walk on. I had to take them off and the TSA checked them out, I guess to make sure there was no liquid hidden inside. Nope, just comfort foam.
Actually, that raises a good point. What about all the Nike "air pillow" style shoes, the ones that have a little cartridge of air in the heel? How do the TSA people know it's really air? It could be liquid. Maybe they're being more careful about that now. At least--in Italy they seem to be, if not the US.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:05 PM

497 posts, read 428,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm just going by the TSA website, and what they say. They do say they test the breastmilk and formula. I don't see anywhere that says contact lens solution is exempt. I don't see why it would be considered a medically necessary liquid.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-p...eling-children
They don't actually open up the bottle and dip something in your breast milk - can you imaging the outrage if they did? They swab the outside. Same with any 'medically necessary liquid', which does include contact lens solution.

Quote:
Good for you? Do you feel like a rebel getting your 2 quart bags past TSA?
You know the crazy thing is, it was an accident and I wasn't even trying to be a rebel. Imagine what you could do if you were trying to get by TSA.

Quote:
You can't just "photoshop" your information into your ticket. When they scan it at the security check point they're going to realize its a fake as either it doesn't scan or the information doesn't match up.
Sure you can, it is just a pdf and the scanner simply reads the barcode - which is an open source format. For a while there was even a website where you could even go make your own instant fake boarding pass:
Make Your Own Fake Boarding Pass | WIRED

Old 01-08-2016, 03:14 PM

497 posts, read 428,090 times
The other amusing thing is that the TSA is entirely reactionary. They seem to only identify and respond to security threat after someone has exploited the threat. This was the case with taking off shoes, with liquids, and more recently with printer toner cartridges. It was only after all of these were used in a terrorist plot, that these were banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Old 01-08-2016, 03:37 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
If you don't want to go through it, don't fly. This stuff isn't new or unexpected.

If the guy really felt his daughter was being groped, he should have put down his camera and confronted the "molester in uniform". But big he-man Papa did nothing to save his daughter's dignity, did he? Not a word of protest out of him.
The TSA agent talked to the girl all the way through, making light or the exam, and making the girl comfortable.

And let's not forget why this happened in the first place. Did you catch the first few seconds on that video? The girl, for reasons unknown, set off the security alarms, hence the need for the pat down.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:42 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If you don't want to go through it, don't fly. This stuff isn't new or unexpected.

If the guy really felt his daughter was being groped, he should have put down his camera and confronted the "molester in uniform". But big he-man Papa did nothing to save his daughter's dignity, did he? Not a word of protest out of him.
The TSA agent talked to the girl all the way through, making light or the exam, and making the girl comfortable.

And let's not forget why this happened in the first place. Did you catch the first few seconds on that video? The girl, for reasons unknown, set off the security alarms, hence the need for the pat down.
I went on a flight and I don't remember being patted down. All that happened was that I went through a detector.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Right. That, and the fact that their x-ray machine was broken (per discussion at beginning of video). There was nothing out of line, there. Someone might ask, "Why suspect a child"? Well, I suppose if they routinely waived kids through, then bombers would start having their kids carry the bombs. Apparently, in the US, thick-soled shoes or flip-flops aren't under scrutiny, so.... lots of loopholes to exploit.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:50 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Perhaps they should have made sure she wasn't carrying a banned liquid size in the first place?

Father outraged after TSA pats down 10-year-old daughter - CNNPolitics.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYp-kWxyl0

The TSA should really have people manning those checkpoints who have more than a GED. [Oooops, that would eliminate most of their workforce.] That idiot could barely communicate..."I know there's a lot of make sense things but guess what? We don't live in a make sense world."
Maybe in his world but, the father of the girl and myself weren't comforted by his double digit IQ rambling. He is clearly a liberal voting democrat.
That woman did seem to take her time groping the girl. Don't they have a screen they can take one behind when feeling a need to grope some non-Muslim? I have seen little old grannies groped in the open; for what? I doubt some little old lady going to see her grand kids is dangerous enough to warrant a 1/2 hour pat down. When passenger numbers decline they can look back to this kind of treatment.
I drive when I go places. It's cheaper and I can stop to stretch my legs when I want for as long as I want. I can always get something to eat as well. Do that in a flying cattle car.
Most under the age of 30 have no idea what airline travel consisted of. The biggest hurdle was checking in your baggage; you can do that curbside now. Never had to disrobe and place every item on your person, including shoes, into bins to be x-rayed. You need to plan your wardrobe for flying now to accommodate belt, shoes, and other clothing which may trip their system. Men use to carry pocket knives with them at all times, me included. It has gotten to the point you can't do so as before; you may be a terrorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events